Author Topic: Ive Got Cancer  (Read 75810 times)

Online jrt

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Ive Got Cancer
« Reply #270 on: April 26, 2017, 12:36:18 PM »
Have your thyroid hormone levels tested occasionally.  Radiation treatment to the neck will diminish thyroxine (thyroid hormone, T4) production. 
It's an easy fix though.  Synthroid is a cheap synthetic replacement.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #271 on: April 26, 2017, 02:35:29 PM »
Have your thyroid hormone levels tested occasionally.  Radiation treatment to the neck will diminish thyroxine (thyroid hormone, T4) production. 
It's an easy fix though.  Synthroid is a cheap synthetic replacement.

Thanks for the heads up, Sir. You are 100% correct!  I was started on 137 mcg. of synthroid daily about a year after my last radiation treatment.
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #272 on: April 26, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Sir. You are 100% correct!  I was started on 137 mcg. of synthroid daily about a year after my last radiation treatment.
Rick

That's the dose I've been taking since 1992.   Thyroid function was a little low, and they suspected that for an episode of "tachycardia" that just about got me.    Been taking the 137 mcg "Levothyroxine" every day since, probably will for the rest of my life.    No known side effects so it's not a big deal ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #273 on: April 26, 2017, 09:27:08 PM »
If no one has told you yet, changing your thyroid medication (especially the brand) should only be done under a doctor's supervision.  Don't let the pharmacy tell you they are all the same.  They are not.  Generics for a brand name are different.

My wife has Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and has been on synthroid for decades (started with Levoxyl but it got pulled when the company was bought).  A bit of an ordeal finding what worked for her during the change.  Constant communication with the doctor (daily) was the key.

Nice that a life sustaining medication is so inexpensive.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #273 on: April 26, 2017, 09:27:08 PM »

Offline Bobbilljim

• Gosling
  • Eternal Student
« Reply #274 on: November 26, 2017, 08:38:04 PM »
If no one has told you yet, changing your thyroid medication (especially the brand) should only be done under a doctor's supervision.  Don't let the pharmacy tell you they are all the same.  They are not.  Generics for a brand name are different.

My wife has Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and has been on synthroid for decades (started with Levoxyl but it got pulled when the company was bought).  A bit of an ordeal finding what worked for her during the change.  Constant communication with the doctor (daily) was the key.

jdg

My wife has Hashi's also, she has issues with synthroid. She was on naturethroid but after they stopped making it she switched to Armourthroid, another natural  type. Glad to hear you are doing well. I still plan on a ride down there some day to meet you in person once I get this CalII going solid!
Rob

"There's Guzzi Cheap, then there's Stupid cheap" - Fotoguzzi

1984 California II

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #275 on: November 26, 2017, 08:56:53 PM »

jdg

Since the last post on the subject of thyroid medicine ("synthroid" and other names), the price has quadrupled.   Big Pharma must be reading the board and said "HEY, wait a minute ...."

Thanks a bunch!   :wink:   :wink:   :laugh:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #276 on: November 26, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »
Since the last post on the subject of thyroid medicine ("synthroid" and other names), the price has quadrupled.   Big Pharma must be reading the board and said "HEY, wait a minute ...."

Thanks a bunch!   :wink:   :wink:   :laugh:

Lannis

Back a few years ago when the wife's levels were very stable, she used to purchase it in full bottles of 100 tablets - no insurance co-payment.  It used to be cheaper than two co-pays.  I'm sure it's gone up since then.  I'll ask the pharmacist what the current price of a bottle is when I drop in for an hot fudge sundae later this week.  You have me curious now.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline willard

• New Egg
  • Breva 750ie
« Reply #277 on: November 27, 2017, 07:38:58 AM »
I am sorry to hear it. Haven't been around this community much yet, but I can say it seems very welcoming and supportive. I'm sure everyone here is glad to help in whatever way.

You've been given a great burden, but also a great opportunity. In this day and age, even cancer is not usually a death sentence, and it has caused you to think about what things are most important in a very poignant way.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 02:58:42 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #278 on: November 27, 2017, 07:54:23 AM »
Yet another 57 year old (56 and 1/2).  Fork cancer.  Most folks I know have dealt with it in some way.  Good news is that medical science is better than it's ever been with cancer treatments beating it nearly every time.  And new treatments on the horizon that promise to eradicate many types of cancer.  I wish you all the best and greatest blessings to you and your family.

Vince

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here