Author Topic: MGX-21 Flying Fortress bat bike bagger merged threadfest  (Read 70426 times)

canuguzzi

MGX-21 Flying Fortress bat bike bagger merged threadfest
« on: May 07, 2015, 11:06:06 PM »
Pictures and in person totally different perspective. Looks like it is about a year and a half away from the USA. While I don't go for the cruiser style bikes, I'd ride that one.

The 21" front wheel sure makes a statement. Sitting on the bike the wind protection seems like it would be very good and the seating position nice for even long stretches on straight roads. In the mid 700 pound weight range it comes off the side stand not quite so easy but once up, an easy reach for slightly bent legs to get flat footed on the ground (I have a 32" inseam).

Controls are standard Guzzi affairs for now but are much better articulated than on the Norge. Gauges are in a dash that are tilted close to 90 degrees and since you sit lower in relation to them, you get a sports car like perspective to see them. Bold tach and speedo are very easy to read.

Carob fiber abounds and it is undecided yet if the bags will be a complete carbon fiber job or left the flat type black as they are now or get a painted carbon fiber treatment. Water exclusion testing is on-going and will be a factor in determining what it ends up. Bags will be removable and a plate of sorts to fill the side gaps to make it look like bags are still there but in fact everything is flush to the body lines.

The seat was really nice, broad and supportive. The pillion is removable and a spacer type thing goes there for the solo look if you want that.

Riding position is easy with a slight lean forward, not a sit back, pull back affair. Reminds me of the V65 Sabre but lower and a bit more hunkered down with the knees not as high up but the feet forward without making you hand on for dear life to maintain grip.

Tiny mirrors, pure asthetics because you couldn't see anything out of them.

Handlebars looked adjustable but couldn't verify. Not rise but for angle.

Beefy forks all blacked out. No chrome here.

Ok, where are the pictures?

Well, it seems the entire world has had the chance to see the bike at big shows and no doubt lots of people took lots of picture but here, while two of their photogs tools pics of everyone who got on the bike, no one was allowed to take any of the bike.  ::(  Come on, the bike is being shown in public, at this point no one is going to steal a design. Really MG?

I'll fill in what else I gleaned tomorrow, water cooled engines??? and such.

Penderic

Re: MGX-21 Flying Fortress bat bike bagger merged threadfest
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 11:26:39 PM »
 :pop

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 12:16:27 AM »
 Elk Grove event had maybe 20 people show up, hope they get a better turn out in Newport Beach.
Got the following email from Moe Moore today:

From my buddy Paul at Newport Italian:

Please join us this Saturday, May 9th from 6PM to 9PM at Newport
Italian for an exclusive preview of of the all new Moto Guzzi
Eldorado and Audace, as well as a special look at the MGX-21 bagger
concept shown at Eicma 2014!
<http://images.cyclegarden.com/ebay/MGX21prototype.jpg>

Beyond the unique opportunity to view the new and exciting Moto Guzzi
models, guests will be invited to take part in a focus group providing
feedback on the 3 models as well as the Moto Guzzi brand in general.
Let your voice be heard and influence the future direction of the
company!

We will be the only California destination for this exclusive
display, so don't miss out! The event will be catered Italian style
as we always do, with Italian cheese, wine, coffee, and more.

Please send your RSVPs and questions to tyler@newportitalian.com
, thank you!

-The Newport Italian Team

1536 Newport Blvd.

Costa Mesa, CA 92627

(949) 515-8377
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

canuguzzi

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 10:45:06 AM »
If they greet the people showing up with a Hello and a smile, they will have done 100% better than this event.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 10:45:06 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 10:54:18 AM »
If I get this right, the riding position is more standard than cruiser?  I am surprised because it looks the same as the other 1400 bikes. 

The big front tire doesn't seem to be a positive move for performance. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

canuguzzi

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 11:27:25 AM »
Yes, the riding position is more sport than cruiser. You still sit down low and feet forward but you also lean forward a bit. If you assume the cruiser sitting style you can't reach the handlebars you need to lean into them a bit. I'm 5'10' so maybe someone with longer arms would reach them easier but when I asked about the design, was told it is a more sport riding position, not cruiser.

The bike looks a whole lot better in person than from whatever pics are out there on the Internet. Shame they didn't allow pictures.

I'm an ST type but at the right price (this will be in the $20,000 range according to the design guy???) I'd be a buyer. Can't say I'd want to spend 20 grand on one though.

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »
 OK , how can feet forward be defined as sport  ???

Dusty

canuguzzi

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 11:42:04 AM »
You lean forward, not straight up or slightly bent back. Reminded me of the Sabre, feet slightly forward, it was a sport bike for sure.

You lean into the wind. Just because your feet are slightly forward doesn't mean it can't be sporty. Maybe "sport" position is the wrong term. Sporty is maybe better.

Perhaps "aggressive" is the best way of describing the riding position. I had a pic all lined up like I said...  shame too because all MG has is stock pics that show zip. Maybe they only want to sell 2 or 3?

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 11:44:11 AM »
You lean forward, not straight up or slightly bent back. Reminded me of the Sabre, feet slightly forward, it was a sport bike for sure.

You lean into the wind. Just because your feet are slightly forward doesn't mean it can't be sporty. Maybe "sport" position is the wrong term. Sporty is maybe better.

Perhaps "aggressive" is the best way of describing the riding position. I had a pic all lined up like I said...  shame too because all MG has is stock pics that show zip. Maybe they only want to sell 2 or 3?

Sounds like the chopper riding position from the mid 1960s and other eras .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 11:52:08 AM »
Yes, the riding position is more sport than cruiser. You still sit down low and feet forward but you also lean forward a bit. If you assume the cruiser sitting style you can't reach the handlebars you need to lean into them a bit. I'm 5'10' so maybe someone with longer arms would reach them easier but when I asked about the design, was told it is a more sport riding position, not cruiser.

The bike looks a whole lot better in person than from whatever pics are out there on the Internet. Shame they didn't allow pictures.

I'm an ST type but at the right price (this will be in the $20,000 range according to the design guy???) I'd be a buyer. Can't say I'd want to spend 20 grand on one though.

this ain't it?

Now that I look at it, this photo has standard front tire.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:52:53 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 11:55:38 AM »
forget that...here it is

I am all for a full tourer with a fairing. 
John L 

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 11:59:03 AM »
forget that...here it is

I am all for a full tourer with a fairing. 

Hmm , resembles a Kawasaki Vaquero  ???

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 12:04:07 PM »
this ain't it?

Now that I look at it, this photo has standard front tire.

John,

The bike you've pictured is the Audace.  It even says so on the side cover...   ;)
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 12:07:44 PM »
Hmm , resembles a Kawasaki Vaquero  ???

Dusty

No.  It resembles a space alien from Mars.

Did Galluzzi hire some Honda designers?  FFS, this thing is atrocious.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

canuguzzi

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 02:46:01 PM »

What I thought before seeing it in person. Their photogs could take a picture of a Victoria's Secret model and make anyone look twice. ::) No kidding.

It has quite a bit of carbon fiber on the tank panels and toward the rear end above an inboard of the bags. That is following a fad though so a lot of the details like that might look better in a different shade of black/super dark gray.

The fairing does have a built in stereo or at least the 4 speakers (maybe the radio is an option?) When you sit on it and look down you see the red valve covers jutting out and being red they draw your eye to them.

The exhausts are wrapped but that is supposed to be an option as is the hard shell that covers the rear seat if removed.

The windscreen is that side by side bubble style ala reminiscent of the dual bubble dash of an old Corvette and its supposed to have options too for height, color and so on.

The wheels have bright red lettering on the rim edges, not like the solid black you see in the picture.

That red front fender cap is a bright fluorescent orange, not dull like in the picture. It is supposed to harken back to some earlier design touch but I'm not sure how many people will know that and just think it is something a goof-ball did in their garage. It isn't like most bike riders know much about Guzzi history and less so when considering anyone else. Bet they make the end cap an option or have an option to cover it with black.

The MGX21 is supposed to the production name but who really knows? It will be released in Europe first of course and follow in the USA, a likely 2017 model year but released in 2016.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 03:41:19 PM »
Hopefully they'll build a legitimate touring bike version rather than a murdered-out "bagger".
John L 

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 04:40:29 PM »
I agree the actual bike looks better than in the photos.  The bike shown last night was slightly different than the version in the photo. The biggest difference was the lack of the semi-rectangular shaped plate inboard from the foot pegs/controls. Thank goodness for that!  Miguel Galluzzi, the Argentine-born VP of Design for Piaggio was present. He designed the first Ducati Monster, and the Moto Guzzi1400 series bikes. The Piaggio design studio is in Pasadena and he's based there. He's a very nice fellow who I was able to chat with for awhile.  I told him the florescent Orange fender tip had to go. He said others have said it harks of Cal-Trans Orange, the day-glow vests highway workers wear here in the Golden State.  Miguel said it represented the orange that was used on the fairing of the 850 LeMans mk1.  I said save the nostalgia for the new 1400 El Dorado; the MGX-21 was futuristic looking and just drop the nostalgia.  I asked Miguel if they considered a larger V7 style bike, perhaps with the 8V power plant. He indicated that's exactly what was in the works, but was shelved when the European sales tanked a few years ago.  Sales are starting to recover, so who know, maybe that's next.  Good to see they are soliciting input from enthusiast before going into production.
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 05:10:11 PM »
If they greet the people showing up with a Hello and a smile, they will have done 100% better than this event.

I wanted to make it to Elk Grove last night but couldn't. It sounds like I didn't miss anything.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Vasco DG

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »
I'm with Rocker. It's grotesque. And how could anyone who wasn't blind and/or brain damaged describe it as 'Sporty'? It's an enormous, ugly, indulgent turd of a thing. The person who dreamt it up should wake up tomorrow with people shovelling dirt on his face!

Unspeakable!

Pete

Penderic

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 05:55:11 PM »
I asked Miguel if they considered a larger V7 style bike, perhaps with the 8V power plant. He indicated that's exactly what was in the works, but was shelved when the European sales tanked a few years ago.  Sales are starting to recover, so who know, maybe that's next.  Good to see they are soliciting input from enthusiast before going into production.

Good to hear that!  ;-T

Wonder if they will give a strange name when it comes out. A V7 - 3 series/8 valve?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 07:08:58 PM »
Good to hear that!  ;-T

Wonder if they will give a strange name when it comes out. A V7 - 3 series/8 valve?
A V7 3/8ths ? ;D
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 07:17:56 PM »

what he said..

where is the PUKE icon..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

canuguzzi

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 08:12:01 PM »
All MG has to do to boost sales is call up a few WG people and have them rep MG at dealers and their sales would increase 10 fold.

Few dealers can sell only MGs and stay in business. What do the sales people want to sell? Something that sells itself. For a niche marque, you need sales people that can cultivate a customer and put some imagery into their heads and sell them a soul. Apple did it. They sell gadgets and people fill stores to buy a battery operated watch that tells time as a sideline and can't run for more than a few hours and in less than a year won't be worth 10 cents.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:32:12 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline Gian4

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 09:16:18 AM »
Hey Pete
Why don't you tell us what you really think ;D
Gian 4

56Pan

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 10:17:29 AM »
Hey Pete
Why don't you tell us what you really think ;D
Gian 4

Just my .02, but that is one bad ugly motorsickle.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2015, 10:55:01 AM »
what he said..

where is the PUKE icon..

Oh wait..

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline motocruz

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2015, 11:59:55 AM »
I've been on moto guzzi's all my life. Eldo to T3 to my current EV. When I first saw the eldo in the 70's it was the most beautiful bike I'd ever seen. That night after viewing the modern bikes I will have to say that the new eldo is the most beautiful bike I've ever seen. The audace and MGX-21 is a new concept. Both cool baggers in my opinion, but certainly not for everyone. The picture does not tell the whole story. Those ugly flat plates were not on the prototype the rear fender skirts were not on the bike but bags that actually had a lot of room. We got to talk to the marketing agent and give him all the pros and cons of the bike. Hopefully they take advice from the actual guzzi riders and refine the bike. Miguel the designer was there and it was great to have a conversation with him. After we talked for 15 minutes now I see where he comes up with theses ideas. All in all it was a great night. My wife was there and she said if you get a new bike it has to be the eldo. Bummer, guess I need to start going over my budget...... ;D
1976 T-3
1998 EV
1973 Triumph Trident
1980 Yamaha 400 YZ
2022 V85 Guardia D’Onore

canuguzzi

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2015, 12:12:04 PM »
Pictures aren't really a way to judge because you don't have any reference points. I brought someone long who isn't into bikes and they really liked it, alot. That is probably MGs point in the design. It isn't like  what MG has already done are swamping the dealer showrooms with people to buy, that much we already know.

You can tell alot by what the dealers put front and center, the stuff that sells and invariably unless it is a small shop, the MGs are in the back, sitting there like stepchildren waiting for a pat on the head while the Triumphs are in front along with Aprilias and every other niche brand that sells.

Traditionalists probably hate the MGX21 but then they aren't flooding showrooms to buy new bikes either or if they are, there aren't enough of them to keep sales where they need to be. I think MG is trying to go after people who don't want yet another California, ElDorado or V7. If everyone who wanted something like that bought one it still wouldn't move the needle so why even go that route?

MG is going after the people who want something different that what MG already makes, even if it is an evolution of traditional designs. I would not buy anything that is an evolved California, V7 or some of the other models but I'd buy an MGX21. In the end, sales count because if MG doesn't do something on that end, its just a matter of time before they'll pull the plug on US presence. Selling at the prices they go for isn't something I can see them doing for much longer if the sales numbers thrown around are close. That is why this one is in the $20k range for a base model.

In person, the MGX21 is one bad-ass looking bike. I'm not the only one who thinks so. The riding position is sporty or aggressive, pick your poison but like I said, you can't sell from the pictures. Its a real shame MG chose not to put out anything but the stock pics they have.

I'm 5'10 and 160 or so and it ain't that big. If it seems that enormous, maybe its time to start eating some wheaties.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:13:40 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
Bingo. Honda brought over the CB1100 for many of us that begged them to bring the classic retro bike over here. We all bought one too. Some even traded in the 2013 model for the 2014 model.

All three of us.  :BEER:

Two of us also have Guzzi's (typically Griso's of all things).

All the other Honda buyers yawned.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2015, 09:34:18 PM »
Pictures aren't really a way to judge because you don't have any reference points. I brought someone long who isn't into bikes and they really liked it, alot. That is probably MGs point in the design. It isn't like  what MG has already done are swamping the dealer showrooms with people to buy, that much we already know.

Traditionalists probably hate the MGX21 but then they aren't flooding showrooms to buy new bikes either or if they are, there aren't enough of them to keep sales where they need to be. I think MG is trying to go after people who don't want yet another California, ElDorado or V7. If everyone who wanted something like that bought one it still wouldn't move the needle so why even go that route?

This  :+1

MG needs a new concept to sell to people who want a bike that looks badass. If their friends will drool over it then they've done their job and I think that this concept bike really does cater to that market. Remember that just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it won't be a cash cow that allows MG to make new bikes that will appeal to you :)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here