Author Topic: Love my Norge, BUT  (Read 16674 times)

radan2

Love my Norge, BUT
« on: July 29, 2015, 08:38:26 PM »
After riding it most of the day Tuesday and enjoying it while on the road, I became frustrated with its top-heavy weight and the difficulty I had handling it when I was not riding.  I have decided to make a change.  More information when the change is finally made.
 :popcorn:

canuguzzi

Re: Love my Norge, BUT
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 09:02:59 PM »
They are beasts. Since you've made a decision, hope your next choice works better for you.

The Norge at 50 less pounds sure would be a gem. I find the top heavy feeling goes away through more throttle but when trying to move it, like pushing a concrete bag around. More power wouldn't  make a difference unless they gave me someone to help move it around. I keep hoping the side stand never gives way because It will just keep going, not even in a position to muscle up and stop it. It will stay right there until a crane shows up.

The gel seat helped quite a bit by getting me lower to the ground

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:46:49 PM »
Push a Cali 14 around for a while, it will make the Norge feel much easier.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »
My1200 Sport is a top-heavy beastie.  However, after spending lots of time on BMW K bikes (Flying Bricks), I don't find the Guzzi to be any more of a hassle than the German machines.  However, that doesn't mean I like wrestling 540 pounds around the garage.  Maybe it's simply the nature of that particular configuration (large fuel tank, relatively low bars.)

Ironically, the Griso 8vSE, spec'd at only 40 or so pounds less, feels like 140 pounds less.

I must admit, the big 1200 Sport becomes quite agile in her normal element ..... ie, being ridden vs being pushed around the garage.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »

Offline BAT 11

• New Egg
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 10:36:28 PM »
Hope you keep your Norge.  Iam vertically challenged,but once mine is carefully eased from the shed the rest of the day is all smiles. A smaller bike would suit me better but the power and character of the Norge makes it worthy.   Good riding on your new bike.   Ian

jovato

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 02:20:55 AM »
Very interesting.  Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.  My Norge fits me like a glove.  Now, the M109R that I traded for it was a beast.  Even with its low center of gravity, it was a pain to muscle around.  I had a V-strom a while back, and that bike was very difficult for me to manage at parking log speeds.  The center of gravity was way to high for me.  The Norge has always felt just right to me... especially once the wheels are moving.  I wonder if people aren't comparing the bike to sub 500lb bikes.  For a bike its size, I find it to be incredibly nimble... way more so than an FJR.  Here is a quote from Dave Richardson's review of the bike that I have always felt matched my own experience with the Norge:

"But other engineering is subtle. For instance, mounting the high-output alternator up between the cylinders allows the mass of the engine to be located closer to the front wheel for the better handling of forward weight bias. And here’s a novel idea adapted from Aprilia’s world champion sport bikes: the crankshaft’s center line is about 1¼” above the transmission’s to position the engine’s weight higher. Higher? I’ll bet we all thought low center of gravity was preferred! But for a motorcycle at road speed, having the engine mass closer to the roll center (think like an airplane) means that it takes less leverage (strength) to lift the bottom of the engine to the (as an example) right side in order to lower the top of the bike into a left turn. "

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:34:41 AM »
The top heaviness of the Norge is what made me down size to a V11S..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline bratman2

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 06:40:56 AM »
I only find mine to seem top heavy when the tank is full. Okay add the wife and tail bag and it is always 5 degrees from falling! But my God she is sweet in motion, even with wife, top bag and everything else!
Glenn Taylor
09 Norge with Staintune and Rexxer reflash
87 Subaru Brat (owned since 97)

56Pan

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 07:47:58 AM »
They are beasts. Since you've made a decision, hope your next choice works better for you.

The Norge at 50 less pounds sure would be a gem. I find the top heavy feeling goes away through more throttle but when trying to move it, like pushing a concrete bag around. More power wouldn't  make a difference unless they gave me someone to help move it around. I keep hoping the side stand never gives way because It will just keep going, not even in a position to muscle up and stop it. It will stay right there until a crane shows up.

The gel seat helped quite a bit by getting me lower to the ground

Dropped my '12 Norge on my left foot in my neighor's driveway.  Gravel.  Just hurt like hell when I pulled my foot out.  Was zoned out on something with the one track mind my wife keeps dogging me about and forgot to put down the kickstand.  Was just so damned mad at my stupidity that the adrenaline kicked in.  Picked it up and drove it home cursing my dumbass the whole way.

Offline MAC

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 10:57:06 AM »
I own a Goldwing and a Indian,that makes my Norge a fly weight.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:58:25 AM by MAC »
Mike Cignarella
1998 EV
2008 Wing
2015 K1600GT

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 12:37:34 PM »
I have a couple of buddies who ride sportbikes or street-sport bikes; they sometimes ride with me. The other day, on of them said to me "You don't ride that Norge - you dance with it."

I also have been to numerous police motorcycle rodeos. If you think the Norge is top-heavy, the low-speed handling of a C14 (especially!) or FJR will truly frighten you. To get better than a Norge, you have to go below 500 lbs and 1000cc or less.

May I suggest a couple-year-old Aprilia Tuono?  :azn:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

LongRanger

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »
Top heavy? My much-ballyhooed R1200RT was an unmanageable, top heavy pig. I sold it after three weeks. Never again!

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 02:36:19 PM »
My1200 Sport is a top-heavy beastie.  However, after spending lots of time on BMW K bikes (Flying Bricks), I don't find the Guzzi to be any more of a hassle than the German machines.  However, that doesn't mean I like wrestling 540 pounds around the garage.  Maybe it's simply the nature of that particular configuration (large fuel tank, relatively low bars.)

Ironically, the Griso 8vSE, spec'd at only 40 or so pounds less, feels like 140 pounds less.

I must admit, the big 1200 Sport becomes quite agile in her normal element ..... ie, being ridden vs being pushed around the garage.

I miss my Griso for the weight difference . The Stelvio weighs in at around 630 lbs wet with a full tank (32 litres) (gallons ?) and is top heavy after a fresh fill  . She's a beast to push around alright . I've dropped it a couple of times , only a cracked hand guard as far as damage is concerned but I have been thinking of something lighter and more manageable . Great once mobile , just don't drop it !
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 03:14:52 PM »
Presumably the tire pressure is set correctly...otherwi se it can be a slug to move around...
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 03:30:56 PM »
I, too, find my Norge top-heavy. It is indeed a beast to paddle around. Once moving, it is wonderfully nimble (for a big gal!). Still, it is no where near as nimble as my Ducati ST2 or our two little Vespas.

It is not just the weight, it is the top-heaviness that is difficult to deal with in trying to muscle it around.

For comparison, my wife's 2015 Vespa Sprint 150 weighs 267 pounds dry, and it feels like most of that is carried very low to the ground. My Norge weighs 566 pounds dry, with most of it seemingly high up off the ground. Now add over six gallons of gas/petrol, as high up as you can go. Next add two people weighing together roughly 400 pounds, again, high up in the air. I just know my Norge wants to throw itself to the ground--hard!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 03:38:29 PM »
It may be me and the fact I have ridden so many true porkers in the past but I consider the Norge a lightweight.  I think it is important to have the tire pressure set to factory spec (36-40) for the best handling.  The Norge is just pretty predictable.  I don't spend much time pushing my bike around and if that is the benchmark I can see your argument, sort of.  The Norge IS the Touring bike from Guzzi.

I do agree the Griso feels much lighter in comparison.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 04:09:39 PM »
Exactly (on the tire pressure), try pushing around a K1600 GTL around the garage...I suppose it depends on how one is moving it...if you sit on it and paddle with your feet, it's not hard at all, if you're trying to muscle 550 lbs, it can be a bit awkward.

If you're looking for a flickable lightweight..I guess a V7 would be much easier to manipulate for those few seconds getting it out of the garage, but I wouldn't trade the ride and comfort and torque of the Norge vs. a V7.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline bratman2

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 04:14:09 PM »
Woke up from night shift a few weeks ago and my wife asked me to stop by my daughter's house. Still half a sleep I pulled right in. Stood up and walked away as my Norge hit the gravel. Sometimes it might just be better to drive something else, lol!

In Winston Salem, heading to the mountains, I pulled into a store on a hill. Stopped the roll with my foot brake not realizing I was canted a few degrees to the right. Put left foot down and there she goes. By the time I realized it was too late to save her. Wife, all three bags and bike! Nice man in a Mercedes Benz helped us right her back. Embarrassing to say the least! My fault too!
Glenn Taylor
09 Norge with Staintune and Rexxer reflash
87 Subaru Brat (owned since 97)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »
^ Mine fell over in my driveway. It was just waiting for me to look the other way as I got off the bike... Left side then. Just waiting for the right side next.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 04:38:11 PM »
If you think the Norge is top-heavy, the low-speed handling of a C14 (especially!) or FJR will truly frighten you.

The Cali 1400 is offset by having a lower seat and good leverage on the bars.

Actually, I have no problem with either.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 04:39:56 PM »
The Norge can give one teachable moments. During my first month of ownership I dumped it on some silt in a parking lot washing out the front tire, and dumped it trying to go over the dirt berm that was blocking my drive from the road grader coming by while I as gone. I have three miles of dirt/gravel road before pavement and I have had to learn how to ride the Norge on dirt. The Norge only bit me at walking speeds and taught me a thing or two. She has shook her ass a few times going down dirt but always recovered nicely.
I guess what I am trying to say is that the Norge is very stable and forgiving at speed plus quite easy to throw around in the twisties. It wants to keep you safe at speed and wants to laugh at you at near zero speeds where you probably won't get hurt much. Kinda like a ornery horse. My 2.5 cents worth.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

radan2

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 04:46:06 PM »
I am keeping my Breva 750, as it is just the right size and weight, but have replaced the Norge.  Here is a picture of the bike and its replacement: 
By the way, if they get what they allowed me on the Norge for trade in, they will have worked a miracle.

canuguzzi

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »
I am keeping my Breva 750, as it is just the right size and weight, but have replaced the Norge.  Here is a picture of the bike and its replacement: 
By the way, if they get what they allowed me on the Norge for trade in, they will have worked a miracle.

No pics shows. What is the replacement?

radan2

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 07:09:31 PM »
No pics shows. What is the replacement?

Sorry, I thought I did it right. 

I got a Miata, a red one.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 07:24:45 PM »
The Cali 1400 is offset by having a lower seat and good leverage on the bars.

Actually, I have no problem with either.

C14 = Concours 1400, which with the FJR are in the same class as the Norge. I wouldn't compare any cruiser's balance to a sports-touring bike.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 02:23:08 AM »
My old C-10 Concours was top heavy.  She made the Norge feel absolutely svelte.  More C-10s are dropped at 0 MPH than at any other speed.

Sophia, Ruby, and Baby at home

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

bpreynolds

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 07:30:23 AM »
Not a Norge but I sold my 2011 Stelvio in large measure - get it, large measure? - due to the top heavy aspect of the bike and the difficulty in pushing it around.  Though I have a relatively fine inseam at 32" and though yes the bike felt more like a supermoto once moving, at a standstill it was a frustrating and sometimes scary thing.  If you love a machine, you think in your mind, "Oh so what, I sweat a little pushing it around; it's worth it for the bike" right?  That works for a while but then after the novelty wears off and you have many days of stop and go driving - throw leg over, haul off stand, push around and get ready to take off, etc. - then it starts to wear thin. 

In contrast, I've owned four Californias - still got the hydro in the garage - and while they all are supposedly similar in weight to my former Stelvio, the Calis for me are nothing to move around due to their low center of gravity and lack of that top heavy feel. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:31:42 AM by bpreynolds »

Graham UK

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 08:58:31 AM »
Weight is a strange thing.  The 2004 Cali I had felt heavy to push around and to put on main-stand; I replaced it with a Breva 1100, which feels lighter to push around, but for me it takes even more effort to put on main-stand.  Then last year added a 1999 Cali as a second bike, and that takes no real effort to put on main-stand - it seems the stand is better designed than the ones for 2004 Cali or the Breva. The figures don't tell the whole story.

canuguzzi

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »
I've had some real beasts in my time and some that seems to be made of osmium on top and aluminum on the bottom. In all cases when it came to pushing them around I found that with just a bit of planning, even when parking somewhere, that made all the difference. When I see bikes parked front in downhill, I wonder what they were thinking. Same goes for the rider who puts the bike on the center stand , nose pointing up hill, yet people do it.

Master the 3 point park and stay away from pushing via the handlebars while off the bike, use the engine to move it and little swings instead of wide sweeps and it is much easier. Who cares what it looks like?

Lcarlson

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »
The weight was one of the reasons my slant K1200GT is recently departed. It was always a chore to move around, even from the saddle because the (necessary) taller Russel day-long saddle prevented me from flatfooting it on both sides. I didn't find it particularly top-heavy, and I never dropped it, but I always felt like it was just a matter of time. That feeling gets old.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here