Author Topic: Motorcycles that sell for a surprisingly high amount used...watcha think?  (Read 17480 times)

Offline mentalfloss

• Hatchling
My more bang for your buck thread got me to thinking what used motorcycles sell for a surprisingly high amount.

I have always wanted a GB500 Honda thumper clubman replica. They did not sell very well when new (I should have bought a leftover model when dealers where giving them away! DOH!).
I see the are higher than a cats back now!

Pretty common to see them for over $5,000!

Another bike I used to own was a FT 500 ascott Honda. I was selling hondas in the 80's when I bought one for 500 bucks from the dealer I worked for...brand new leftover. Heck we sold them retail for $999.00.
Now they seem to get over that all worn out. They are a cool bike though. A lot of fun.

I used to know Harleys pretty well back in the day 1980's but really lost interest in them when every poser in the world has to have one but they seem to bring an awful lot used now ?!?!?!

Bmw GS's are another contender (R1200 GS &GSA)

Guzzi's in the barn then and ... now:
2013 Guzzi Stelvio
1986 Guzzi V 65 TT (keeper!)
1985 Guzzi Le Mans IV ( sold after riding 26k miles on it)
1980 Guzzi v50 II (sweet! and sold)
2009 Guzzi Stelvio (Rode it 30k + in 2 years sad but gone)
2000 Guzzi Quota (sold but want another!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
That's why they call them "cult bikes" - there's no rhyme or reason for it, just some sort of mass hysteria.

Couldn't give away a GB500 in 1990 - now you need about $7500 to even play, for a nice one.

It's not just rarity - there are probably 50 times as many Suzuki GT-750s as there are BSA Beagles in the country, but .....

Who knows?   And you can't predict it - if you could, everyone would have been selecting the $900 "Hemi" option for their Mopar in 1970 ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:57:25 AM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
With the money you saved on not buying the 500gb and a little more time you could have bought a similar Ducati 1000GT

oldbike54

Airhead GS Beemers , especially the PD models seem to command a premium , and anything late 60s Tri/BSA also .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
PS, I think YAMAHA might be onto something selling SR400s for sky high prices in the firs places?

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
The ridiculous part of this subject is people who have "X-brand" motorcycle that was built somewhere between the 60's-80's and they advertise it for absolutely stupid prices with the unrealistic hope that some fool will actually pay their crazy price. 
As Dusty posted above, Airhead GS Beemers fall into this category.  I have owned several BMW R100RT's in the 80's and really like the bikes.  I know the good and the bad re. these bikes and I can tear one down to the crank & put it back together.  A couple of months ago, I found an 84-RT in the NE where the owner wanted around $8k for the bike.  He had a phone number in the ad so I called and asked why he was asking so much.  He said that he had invested that much in the bike over the 10 years that he had owned the bike.  I politely pointed out that what he put in it has very little (if anything) with what the bike is worth to someone who is looking to purchase a 30+ year old motorcycle.  He told me that apparently the bike just wasn't for me because I couldn't appreciate how "special" it was.............. and I agreed.  I'm not saying that someone won't be stupid enough to pay $8k for the bike BUT I highly doubt that someone who knows anything about these bikes will pay much more than $5k for it if it's in REALLY GREAT condition.  Unless he changes his opinion re. the real value of his piece of gold, this bike will probably never be sold and will be sitting in his garage when he dies.
After inquiring about more than a half dozen bikes over a period of several months, I finally gave up trying to find a nice one at a reasonable price and bought a much newer (used) Beemer.  Too many people have been watching these "reality shows" (that are fake) where cars & motorcycles are supposedly sold at stupid prices and now they're looking for their pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:46:59 AM by jackson »
NO longer can ride

Offline nosail

• Gosling
Triumph Hurricane. A friend of mine was a Triumph dealer when they came out and he couldn't give them away. Now they are bringing stupid money.
Rick
2008 MG 1200 Sport in gay pirate black (but it's fast)
2011 V7 Racer #58 in black
2003 V11 LeMans (finally a red Guzzi)

Burnaby, B.C.

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
 :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

I think there's a lot of self deception involved.

You can think back how much you wanted an RG500 when you could no afford one. Years later you got the money. Will you find a good one? Of course not.
500GB Well it was nice but there was the much cheaper 500 the bike was based on. Odd thing with the bike you choose it was supposed to be a retro brit bike without hassle. Probably easier to get parts an run an old brit bike now or buy a new retro brit bike.
I once wanted a Guzzi v50, I once wanted a Gilera Saturno, I figured just buying an early V7 Classic was so much less hassle.
I also wanted a Bimota BB1 and then saw the much cheaper SRZ660. Now what modern bike will cure me of my desire for these last two
 Oddities ?

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
In the last 5-10 years, Kawasaki triples have taken a big jump in price.  A rider H2 can easily go for 5-10k, and a properly restored '69 H1sometimes goes over 20k.  They were originally made to be cheap and fast, so it's funny to watch "correct" restorations get cheap yellow chromated zinc on the fasteners and the CDI housings, non-stainless spokes, and all the other low-end parts put back to exact original condition.  Did a previous owner upgrade to stainless Allen head bolts on the clutch and alternator covers?  Not original!  Throw them away and use zinc plated JIS screws!  The crankshaft may not get rebuilt with new seals, but as long as the bike looks perfect...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 01:02:11 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

Jim , that same "factory" correct thing happens in the Brit bike world also . Years back I owned a modded 1970 TR6R Triumph , stock green with gold and black highlights , even the stock appearing Burgess mufflers , although the were from a much earlier era and a bit more free flowing . The only outward changes were alloy wheels , an oil cooler, a slightly different seat , and Allen head fasteners on the engine/transmission . Took it to a vintage meet , and 2 out of 3 attendees made comments like " how could anyone ruin a Triumph motorcycle like that"  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Motorcycles that sell for a surprisingly high amount used...watcha think?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 01:17:55 PM »

Couldn't give away a GB500 in 1990 - now you need about $7500 to even play, for a nice one.
Lannis

Or not

https://cf.searchtempest.com/go-1.1.html#http%3A//harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/5215138803.html
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 01:38:42 PM »
 If I'm selling I'm happy about high value. If buying I complain I can't buy a bike for $500 anymore.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 02:37:42 PM »
Jim , that same "factory" correct thing happens in the Brit bike world also .

Yes, I know it's pervasive.  As far as I'm concerned, there should be one perfect example of every motorcycle ever built, kept in a museum, and the rest of them should be built and/or modified to suit their owners.   :grin:
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 02:57:33 PM »
Yes, I know it's pervasive.  As far as I'm concerned, there should be one perfect example of every motorcycle ever built, kept in a museum, and the rest of them should be built and/or modified to suit their owners.   :grin:

And for the small percentage of owners who it suits to have the one in the factory. I'm sure there's a name for that. *#*@& paradox?

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 03:33:23 PM »
Jim , that same "factory" correct thing happens in the Brit bike world also . Years back I owned a modded 1970 TR6R Triumph , stock green with gold and black highlights , even the stock appearing Burgess mufflers , although the were from a much earlier era and a bit more free flowing . The only outward changes were alloy wheels , an oil cooler, a slightly different seat , and Allen head fasteners on the engine/transmission . Took it to a vintage meet , and 2 out of 3 attendees made comments like " how could anyone ruin a Triumph motorcycle like that"  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Well, thankfully, not so much (yet) in the Norton corner of the motorcycle universe.  As I commented in another thread, Norton asking prices have climbed into the "stupid" category in the last few years & more sellers are actually getting the asking prices (or higher) in the past couple of years.  However, at least in the DE-MAR-VA area, the "factory correct" virus is still rare.  Bikes with either period-correct or even modern (non-factory) functional/safety upgrades are still widely appreciated & fawned over at Norton gatherings.  Non-factory paint jobs (horrors!!!), some of them quite garish, regularly receive positive comments, too.  Barrett-Jackson, Pebble Beach & their ilk can have the "factory correct down to the assemblers' chalk marks on the frame" on vehicles that never get driven/ridden more than 20' (from the garage to the trailer & from the trailer to the field display); when/if the Norton or MG world gets that way it will be time for me to sell mine & cash in on the people with more cash than sense that drive this phenomenon.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline mentalfloss

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 03:35:20 PM »
Or not

https://cf.searchtempest.com/go-1.1.html#http%3A//harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/5215138803.html
That is a pretty good price on that GB500!
 It will go up in the next 5 years.Maybe 50% to 100%
2013 Guzzi Stelvio

Offline mentalfloss

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 03:37:55 PM »
The R80 G-S first year is another one that has gone wacko in the price dept but may go up even more. I saw one on AADVrider (Blue) that was very reasonable for todays market. I think it is still for sale.
2013 Guzzi Stelvio

Offline markw

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »
.......and what really gets my goat is those that call themselves a "Purist"...bunch of pretentious ***** s. What's wrong with modifications to your own taste or requirements?, and by the same token there is nothing wrong with keeping it standard if that is what YOU want.....

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »
Well, thankfully, not so much (yet) in the Norton corner of the motorcycle universe.  As I commented in another thread, Norton asking prices have climbed into the "stupid" category in the last few years & more sellers are actually getting the asking prices (or higher) in the past couple of years. 

My one was ALMOST in the "stupid money" category when I bought it, but I wanted a nice stock one with a known history and the Norton-typical problems fixed and I got it, it's been a really good bike and worth the money ...

My riding plans have me and Fay riding it about 5,000 miles a year to various events, so if I keep it in shape, it should hold its value at least ....

I've added a few bolt-ons to make long trips easier to live with (windshield, AirHawks, luggage rack) and I've got an old set of Craven panniers to fix up and use on it ...

Lannis

Offline mentalfloss

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 03:43:41 PM »
My third motorcycle was a brand new cb400F 4 cyl honda.....man what a sweet motor! I do not quite remember what it cost new but looked at several a couple of years ago to scratch that nostalgia itch and was pushed back by what they were getting for them and low and behold they have gone up by about 30% 40% just in the last couple of years  since then....
  A nice one is north of $5,000 $6,000 now.
2013 Guzzi Stelvio

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 03:47:13 PM »
.......and what really gets my goat is those that call themselves a "Purist"...bunch of pretentious ***** s. What's wrong with modifications to your own taste or requirements?, and by the same token there is nothing wrong with keeping it standard if that is what YOU want.....

Nothing at all wrong with doing whatever you want to a bike to make it "yours".

However, many of the folks who modify bikes get really pissed when they find out that the big money that they've put into their bikes to "modify" it to their taste actually DROPS the value of a bike relative to a "stock" one, and that they can't sell it for anything near the amount that a stock bike would bring.

IF they blame that inability to sell their bike on the "Purists" who just don't understand the value of what they've done, then it's the modified-bike guy who's screwed up, not the "Purist".   

On the other hand, nobody likes an obnoxious anorak rivet-counter who makes a point to make a bunch of unsolicited comments about someone's custom bike.    If the owner's not asking money for it, or hasn't posted it on a board like this saying "Hey, look at this neat bike", nobody has any call to tell him what's "wrong" with it ....

Lannis

Offline mentalfloss

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 03:48:08 PM »
The first 3 or 4 years of the gold wing (naked) has really gone up in the last 5 years. From what I have seen they have about tripled in value in that time. Probably will go way up from where we are too.
2013 Guzzi Stelvio

Offline goozy

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 03:52:15 PM »
Sold my VERY hard used but good shape Laverda 750 SFC for around 2 grand in the early eighties (1981 ?), memory starting to go! Hell, GOOGLE the model and prepare to gag!! They didn't even sell for much when new, if they could even be sold, usually as leftovers!

Peter

Offline mentalfloss

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 03:56:06 PM »
Sold my VERY hard used but good shape Laverda 750 SFC for around 2 grand in the early eighties (1981 ?), memory starting to go! Hell, GOOGLE the model and prepare to gag!! They didn't even sell for much when new, if they could even be sold, usually as leftovers!

Peter
[/quot

My friend in Lawrence has a Laverda and he bought it right but thought he paid way to much for it...  quite a few years ago.
He and I both think they are really getting a premium for the now. I think they might still have some room for higher prices in the next 5 years.
2013 Guzzi Stelvio

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 04:12:22 PM »
My riding plans have me and Fay riding it about 5,000 miles a year to various events, so if I keep it in shape, it should hold its value at least ....

I've added a few bolt-ons to make long trips easier to live with (windshield, AirHawks, luggage rack) and I've got an old set of Craven panniers to fix up and use on it ...

Lannis

Looks nice!  I'm envious that you can get your other half to ride on it with you.  My wife will only ride maybe once or twice a year, for an hour or less at a time.  I even bought a nice king/queen seat a few years ago so she'd be more comfortable on the back, but that didn't change her mind.  I got the seat from the son of a retired Norton dealer in England; it had been sitting on a shelf for years.  Apparently not a "factory correct" option, but whatever company made it did a good job of making it appear to be a factory option item.  I kept it on the bike for a year or so, but eventually switched back to the stock seat so I could slide my own butt around more since I wasn't going to have a passenger anyway.

5,000 miles a year, huh.  Hmmmm, I know a guy who might have a comfortable king/queen seat that might make your better half's butt happy.... :grin:
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 04:25:01 PM »
It has mostly to do with rarity. GS Suzukis don't bring money because there are so many out there, as they were great stuff (save for the crap wiring). Big Kaws bring way more because even tho they were pretty much the same thing, they were not as long lived and most are junk. I can't remember the last time I saw an early Ninja on the street. I bought a V65C Moto Guzzi new for 2400, they still get that in great condition, they only imported a few hundred. Supply and demand is most of it, tho some bikes are more desirable because of nostalgic fervor, like the big Kaw triple or the Honda CBX. I would not be afraid to take my GS850 to California, and I could replace it in a week for maybe 1200 or less. How many 1981 bikes would you get on and try that, realistically? I would ride my 1984 Guzzi Cal II the same, but not an earlier Guzzi with chromed bores. Guess which one is worth the most by far? Most Cal II's ever made are still at it, and are daily rider stuff.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:28:15 PM by wymple »
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline markw

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 04:49:42 PM »
Nothing at all wrong with doing whatever you want to a bike to make it "yours".

However, many of the folks who modify bikes get really pissed when they find out that the big money that they've put into their bikes to "modify" it to their taste actually DROPS the value of a bike relative to a "stock" one, and that they can't sell it for anything near the amount that a stock bike would bring.

IF they blame that inability to sell their bike on the "Purists" who just don't understand the value of what they've done, then it's the modified-bike guy who's screwed up, not the "Purist".   

On the other hand, nobody likes an obnoxious anorak rivet-counter who makes a point to make a bunch of unsolicited comments about someone's custom bike.    If the owner's not asking money for it, or hasn't posted it on a board like this saying "Hey, look at this neat bike", nobody has any call to tell him what's "wrong" with it ....

Lannis
Absolutely agree with you regarding those that think their add ons must increase the value of the bike , from what I have seen most bikes are more valued when sold back in stock trim-Harleys might be an exception to the rule however. Have been to many potential purchases where the seller thinks the anodised footpegs and such like are the main selling points and must command a premium price-I just politely ask if they can change them back with the originals . My comment regarding "Purists" is that they seem to be a certain type who want to project an aura of superiority-loved the remark about a frame having a chalk mark still on it-priceless !

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 04:51:27 PM »
Looks nice!  I'm envious that you can get your other half to ride on it with you.  My wife will only ride maybe once or twice a year, for an hour or less at a time.  I even bought a nice king/queen seat a few years ago so she'd be more comfortable on the back, but that didn't change her mind.  I got the seat from the son of a retired Norton dealer in England; it had been sitting on a shelf for years.  Apparently not a "factory correct" option, but whatever company made it did a good job of making it appear to be a factory option item.  I kept it on the bike for a year or so, but eventually switched back to the stock seat so I could slide my own butt around more since I wasn't going to have a passenger anyway.

5,000 miles a year, huh.  Hmmmm, I know a guy who might have a comfortable king/queen seat that might make your better half's butt happy.... :grin:

We did a 1200-mile weekend this past spring (Friday - Sunday)  and the stock seat with the Airhawk did well for us - it's pretty wide and supportive, not perfect, but fine for the riding we do - I don't want to go the full Russell Day-Long route for this bike ....

Yep, Fay's a great rider.   I've hinted gently that I would be fully behind any effort to re-establish her MC license (last active in 1979) but she insists not ....

Lannis

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 04:57:08 PM »
I bought a red Ducati Sport Classic new (the most desirable monoposto version). There were several available, including a Paul Smart version, with no line or bidding war...

I sold it about a year before they started getting popular and going up in value. But I've had way more fun on the bikes I got afterwards. Sometimes if I mention it, someone will say "Bet you wish you still had that."  Nope.  If I still had it I would sell it immediately for WAY more than it's worth. BTW - current market value is WAY more than it's worth (as a motorcycle).

I look at prices of used Harleys (in general) and I just don't get it. Perhaps because the bikes themselves don't speak to me - but when you compare to equally (or more) capable Japanese cruisers, I just don't understand the premium for used Harleys.

PS - this is fun contrast to the "bang for buck" thread.  Good idea.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here