Author Topic: How often do you check your tire pressure?  (Read 17240 times)

rob-mg

How often do you check your tire pressure?
« on: January 20, 2016, 08:42:49 PM »
And what tire pressure gauge do you use?

Analog? Digital? If analog, dry or glycerin filled?

Cheap? Expensive?

A question for those of you who use expensive gauges by Intercomp, Longacre, Motion Pro, etc:  Why? Is there a performance reason, or is it about a view (maybe an obsession) about tool quality or accuracy?

Why am I asking this question? Partly I'm curious, and partly because, while I have historically used really inexpensive gauges, today I purchased one that I can't possibly justify based solely on performance. I got sucked into the elegance of it.

Cheers

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:01:13 PM by rob-mg »

Offline guzziknight

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: How often do you check your tire pressure?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 08:48:42 PM »
If I'm riding a lot, I check the pressure weekly. If it's been a while since I rode, then I check before the ride. That's been my general rule for over 20 years. Seems to work for me.

As far as the tire gauge goes, I have a cheap digital one I carry on the bike, and a better analog one I leave at home. Both seem to work well for me.
Blue Knights Georgia VII
Iron Butt Association #18342
Moto Guzzi National Owners Club #L-773

Four Wheels Move the Body. Two Wheels Move the Soul.

Calling an Illegal Alien an "Undocumented Immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "Unlicensed Pharmacist."

Atlanta, GA

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:07:14 PM »
Every two to three months with about 11,000+ miles riding per year.

I use my Lezyne Mt Bike pump because I found it accurate to a couple of pounds from racing Mountain Bikes and coaching a Mountain Bike Racing Team.

I've spent $50 on fancy gauges that were so far off as to be worthless.

Just get a gauge that's reasonably accurate.  For me the bike pump works because it only takes a few pumps to bring them up to pressure, I don't have to plug it in and it has a screw-on valve attachment.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

guzzipete

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:09:46 PM »
I check it every time I ride. I installed a tire pressure monitoring system.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:09:46 PM »

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 09:16:44 PM »
Not as often as I should, most of the time they're spot on so I get lazy. They only seem to loose a couple lbs. every 3-4 months.
Kirk

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:22:43 PM »
I check it every time I ride. I installed a tire pressure monitoring system.

This.

I am a bit paranoid about how the bike feels and tire pressure.  If it felt a bit 'loose' I'd stop and check the pressures.  It would worry me if I had to ride some distance before it was safe to pull over.  I'd check the pressure once a week or more often (I commute so ride almost every day).

With the TPMS I just look at the readout, and, it has an alarm that I can set where I want (and I can hear it with earplugs and helmet on).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 09:26:27 PM »
I check mine every time after a poopy scary moment or a really weird wobbly feeling! Every 30,000 to 50,000 miles or so!
Alive and kicking!
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 09:30:27 PM »
I put angled valve stems on, which it makes it much easier to check pressures (they point up with the bike on side-stand). I check pressures when I feel like it, which tends to be pretty frequently. I also check before a ride of any substantial distance or if I haven't ridden that bike for a while.

I use a digital gauge with a backlight (which is also nice for checking truck tires outside at night). I can't remember the brand of the gauge, but it reads psi and bar. The PSI scale includes tenths of a pound. It has a pressure relief valve. Therefore, I can over-inflate the tires a bit with air compressor, then use the pressure relief valve to bring the pressure down to exactly where I want it.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 09:31:44 PM »
I check tire pressure before every ride. If I'm on a trip somewhere, I check it in the morning before I leave for the day. Overkill? I don't think so.

At home I use a Blue Point analog gauge my brother gave me and on the go I carry a good quality "stick" gauge that reads as close as possible to the home gauge.
Charlie

rob-mg

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 09:31:56 PM »
This.

I am a bit paranoid about how the bike feels and tire pressure.  If it felt a bit 'loose' I'd stop and check the pressures.  It would worry me if I had to ride some distance before it was safe to pull over.  I'd check the pressure once a week or more often (I commute so ride almost every day).

With the TPMS I just look at the readout, and, it has an alarm that I can set where I want (and I can hear it with earplugs and helmet on).

What TPMS system are you guys using? I'm specially interested in a V7 II (presumably the same for a V7) and getting an immediate warning of a sudden decrease in air pressure/blowout on my inner tube.

Any info on whether these systems actually work?

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 09:33:56 PM »
For a new-to-me bike, I check every time I ride for a couple rides.  If it doesn't change much, I check less often.  Once I'm confident there aren't any leaks, I check about once/month.  I think any less than that adds unnecessary risk.  After all, it takes only a minute or two to check two tires.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

rob-mg

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 09:39:14 PM »
I check tire pressure before every ride. If I'm on a trip somewhere, I check it in the morning before I leave for the day. Overkill? I don't think so.

At home I use a Blue Point analog gauge my brother gave me and on the go I carry a good quality "stick" gauge that reads as close as possible to the home gauge.

Which means that you know whether you're running a slow leak from the last ride.

canuguzzi

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 09:41:37 PM »
Every time I get on the bike, I use a tire pressure monitoring system (Doran) and it works perfectly and installs in a few minutes. It also has an alert to notify if the pressure drops quickly ( not blow outs).

Worth every penny. I would not ride another bike without one.

No pressure monitoring system can tell you about a blow out, those are instant things. The alerts do tell you about rapid deflation such as picking up a nail and the tire starts to lose air, giving you time to pull of the road.

Run a search, I have a pic of the system here on WG.http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=80868.0

Link to mfg
http://m.doranmfg.com/motorcycle-tire-pressure-monitoring-systems.htm

Their product support is first class!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:54:31 PM by Norge Pilot »

rob-mg

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 10:00:20 PM »
Every time I get on the bike, I use a tire pressure monitoring system (Doran) and it works perfectly and installs in a few minutes. It also has an alert to notify if the pressure drops quickly ( not blow outs).

Worth every penny. I would not ride another bike without one.

No pressure monitoring system can tell you about a blow out, those are instant things. The alerts do tell you about rapid deflation such as picking up a nail and the tire starts to lose air, giving you time to pull of the road.

Run a search, I have a pic of the system here on WG.http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=80868.0

Hi,

Thanks, this is important information.

Are you using Doran on a bike with inner tubes? If not, do you have views on that? As I understand it, the sensors would have to go on the valves, rather than in the tire, and would require the wheels to be rebalanced. Do I have that right?

PS I don't care about the so-called theft issue.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:01:34 PM by rob-mg »

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 10:04:58 PM »
Every 1-200 miles or when there is a big temperature change.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

canuguzzi

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 11:04:46 PM »
Hi,

Thanks, this is important information.

Are you using Doran on a bike with inner tubes? If not, do you have views on that? As I understand it, the sensors would have to go on the valves, rather than in the tire, and would require the wheels to be rebalanced. Do I have that right?

PS I don't care about the so-called theft issue.

Tubeless tires. There is no rebalancing involved, the sensors are very light.

The Doran system can be used in two ways, on the valve stem or inside the tire, your choice and it comes with everything you need to do it the way you want.

It also comes with a security screw so that someone doesn't casually take the sensor. I don't use the security screw, how many people are running around looking at motorcycle tires to steal a sensor? The sensor doesn't attract attention.

You do need metal valve stems but they too are included so nothing to buy. I amnusing the stem mounted method and won't bother mounting them internally unless I change tires. Even then, I like the way they work now so would probably just continue as is.

It also comes with a separate small led indicator which you can mount where you will see it if you don't want the LCD readout in plain view. For example, mount the readout under the seat and just the bright led low pressure alert on the handlebars or by the speedo.

You can wire it to be always on or on with the ignition. Ibhave it turn on with the ignition so it takes a few minutes to calibrate and readout. Start the bike, helmet on, gloves on and check mirrors and such, by that time read out is ready. From then on it is always on. Very easy to use.

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »
every time i ride....
i use a bicycle pump to top off and i have a Clark dial gauge and its on the money...
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 11:24:47 PM »
Accu-Gage.  I check tires about every 2 weeks.  Pressures used in my two California Stone Touring models are 34F and 36R as I don't weigh much and ride solo. 

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

ponti_33609

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 04:41:15 AM »
Use a cheap digital gage. I haven't experienced more accurate readings when I compare to an expensive one.

Check every couple weeks. On my v7 (may be because it is so light?) I can tell while wheeling around the garage to park when it's lost a few pounds.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 07:05:02 AM »
Analog, Dry (but results compared with the TPMS readouts on the 2 Jeeps).

Monthly or less - unless a dramatic change in ambient temps, then I check again.

I also tend to check right before any long trips.

On the Jeeps I check more frequently, I hit a button on the steering wheel and I can instantly see the pressures at each wheel. They don't change much, except the OCD kicks in when the display shows 3 at 36 and 1 at 37  :shocked: :violent1: :shocked:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 07:23:06 AM »
If I'm riding a lot, I check the pressure weekly. If it's been a while since I rode, then I check before the ride. That's been my general rule for over 20 years. Seems to work for me.

As far as the tire gauge goes, I have a cheap digital one I carry on the bike, and a better analog one I leave at home. Both seem to work well for me.

:1:  the digital gauge I have was a give away for test riding a BMW from a marketing campaign years ago. Since it has the BMW logo on it then it can't be cheap, even if it was free.  Haha.
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Online slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 07:36:52 AM »
Every time I ride.Accu-Gage.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:38:49 AM by slowmover »

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 08:07:17 AM »
I check before every ride before leaving the garage and/or when out before getting on the bike if it's been parked for hours and actually remember to do that. I especially do that if I plan to be riding two-up with my girlfriend. I use my thumbs and squeeze the sidewalls to be sure they are around where they need to be. I never did this before, but after going tubeless on tube-type rims and after all that reading on that topic, I got a little paranoid so I started doing that. I do check the pressure properly every few weeks or so to be sure all is good and that my thumbs are still calibrated...  :thumb: :thumb:
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 08:10:52 AM »
I try to check my air pressure before every ride....

Oh, I have several pressure gauges that I use regularly, one of them a Meiser Accu Gage that I've owned for almost 40 years. About every 10 years I send it back for them to calibrate.

http://www.ghmeiser.com/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:31:32 AM by leafman60 »

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 08:19:26 AM »
When I ride regularly: 1 x per week. When I ride seldom (winter) before each ride. The same after a strong drop in temperature. Either I use an old small hand gauge by Dräger Werke Lübeck or my small Black & Decker compressor (slow, but with an astonishing exact digital gauge).
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »
Use an Accu-Gage at home. Small digital on the road. The Accu-Gage seems to work better (seal) than most others on the 90 degree Norge valve stems. It is like the valve is slightly deeper seated from the rim than most valve stems.
 Now that I live out on several miles of dirt roads I mostly take the Norge out for longer rides so it may only be ridden once every few days during the season so I generally check pressure before every ride plus I had four flats within the first 12K miles. Get a bit paranoid.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 08:53:49 AM »
   My Sunday afternoon ritual, check all three bikes as I ride all three during the week to work. Craftsman Digital gauge  accurate to within a1/4 psi.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 10:00:30 AM »
My TPMS is a Hawks Head.  I got the smaller, portable version cause I can put the sensors on the RV when I take it on trips.  I also like that it tells me the tire temp as well.

Response to a sudden decrease in pressure is pretty fast, less than one second.  You can test it just by unscrewing the sensor.  I love mine.

If I were to get another one I'd consider an inside the tire mount version.  But, I change my own tires and would worry that I'd hit the thing with a tire spoon  :( 

Tubes are fine.  As long as you have a metal valve stem that is fixed to the rim with locknuts then the screw on type will work.  Just do NOT use Slime or anything like that in the tire or it will mess up the sensors.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 03:23:55 PM »
Every time I ride using one of these. Nice piece of kit.

2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 06:13:59 PM »
I check weekly with a digital gauge.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here