Author Topic: so Steve McQueen did the stunts in the Great Escape,except the jump.who did it?  (Read 17030 times)

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
Also Thanks guys for the reminder post....I was up until 2:30 last night because I couldn't tear myself away from "On any Given Sunday" I had forgotten how good that is!!

I wish that more filmmakers of the genre would take much harder looks at "On Any Sunday" and "Endless Summer". Bruce Brown built a hell of a mold there and nobody "broke" it but they sure do ignore the tone and "timbre" in their "homages".

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

oldbike54

Does anyone know where those bikes are today? I saw a episode of pawn stars and there was a fellow selling a Indian motorcycle that belonged to Steve McQueen. I think it was a 1953 chief four-cyclender

The last Indian four was built in 1942 , I think . The Chief , a twin did continue on until 1953 . Most of McQueen's cars and bikes have been sold off at different auctions . As for Bud Ekin's bikes , seems some have been sold , and some remain in the family .
 Still waiting on an answer to the non-competition question . Hint , the answer involves a TV show set in Milwaukee .

Dusty

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
The last Indian four was built in 1942 , I think . The Chief , a twin did continue on until 1953 . Most of McQueen's cars and bikes have been sold off at different auctions . As for Bud Ekin's bikes , seems some have been sold , and some remain in the family .
 Still waiting on an answer to the non-competition question . Hint , the answer involves a TV show set in Milwaukee .

Dusty

Laverne and Shirley?
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero

Dusty

Joanie loves Chachi?

Todd.
Todd
72 "Crud"dorado
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Wildguzzi.com

oldbike54

I had read this as well in one interview or another but print is only marginally more reliable than the blathernet. Most of the information on the Capt America bike is in hard print and generated before the internet and is worth just about what the paper it's printed on is worth... after adjusting for inflation - of any kind.

Hell, I'd also seen that the jump was in fact performed by MCCool but he and Bud had colluded .
Todd.

About the Capt America bike , although Dan Haggerty managed to convince a buyer that he possessed one of the many after rebuilding it , and sold it for a nice price , many "insiders" believe that claim to be bogus .

I wish that more filmmakers of the genre would take much harder looks at "On Any Sunday" and "Endless Summer". Bruce Brown built a hell of a mold there and nobody "broke" it but they sure do ignore the tone and "timbre" in their "homages".

Todd.

OAS may have been a one time deal . Brown was unencumbered by Hollywood producers and directors . Getting McQueen to finance it was the "genius" move , allowing him to make the movie he wanted .

Dusty

oldbike54

Joanie loves Chachi?

Todd.

Laverne and Shirley?

You boys ain't right  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero

You boys ain't right  :laugh:

Dusty

OK, then it HAD to be Blansky's Beauties... He drove the hearse, right?

Todd.
Todd
72 "Crud"dorado

oldbike54

http://www.thegreatescapelocations.com/jump_and_the_fence.htm

Apparently someone who actually witnessed the jump isn't sure who performed it  :huh: As for the difficulty, considering that Bud (or Steve , or the unknown Ozzie) were all accomplished racers, I will bet it was more a matter of getting the dirt ramp just right .

Dusty

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
Amazing Stories was set in Milwaukee, and Ekins coordinated stunts.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:24:15 PM by wymple »
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

oldbike54

Amazing Stories was set in Milwaukee, and Ekins coordinated stunts.

Interesting , but not the answer , at least to my question  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
This thread has jumped the shark.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:53:56 PM by Two Checks »
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

oldbike54

He jumped the shark.

It's weird , my knowledge of non-motorcycle related pop culture is so limited that a couple of years ago I had to Google "Jumped the shark"  :rolleyes: Right show , wrong answer .

Dusty

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
This thread has jumped the shark.

HAAAA!
that's exactly what I was thinking.  I'd read years ago that Henry Winkler didn't ride initially & couldn't do the opening roll-up scene.  Who jumped the shark?  That's the most important question in pop culture. . .
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

oldbike54

HAAAA!
that's exactly what I was thinking.  I'd read years ago that Henry Winkler didn't ride initially & couldn't do the opening roll-up scene.  Who jumped the shark?  That's the most important question in pop culture. . .

Maybe it was the Australian MXer that really did the fence jump ...

Dusty

Rough Edge racing

This article points out one of the main reasons I don't trust internet articles . Where did Bud find a 1940 Triumph in America , not impossible , but improbable , and what race track were they on when Bud pulled his famous trick running Eddie into a a hole ?

Dusty

It's AMA information from their website..While that in itself doesn't make it totally accurate, you offer nothing to support your opinion that it's suspect other than the 1940 Triumph comment...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:00:23 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
There are probably members of our group here who have jumped motorcycles over fences, or least rode through them.

oldbike54

It's AMA information from their website..While that in itself doesn't make it totally accurate, you offer nothing to support your opinion that it's suspect other than the 1940 Triumph comment...

True , except that 1940 model Triumphs in the US are extremely rare , would almost have to be a WM model flathead ,  and once again , what track did the hole event occur at . All I am saying is that often times certain facts get confused . Maybe it was a 1940 model , but it would seem the author might make notice of how rare that is .

Dusty

Penderic

Pfft.

Bikes jumping over stuff.  :rolleyes:

Now we're talking!

:grin:

Offline voncrump

• Gosling
Years ago I heard that some of the stunts in the great escape were done by Tim Gibbes who was a Moto Cross rider from New Zealand.
Cheers, voncrump
1996 1100 sport
2016 V711
1988  Lario ( long gone )
1982 V50111 (long gone)

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
There are probably members of our group here who have jumped motorcycles over fences, or least rode through them.

Yes, but not on purpose and not getting paid to do it.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

kirby1923

I saw this so I have a Steve story.

Long time ago Santa Paula airport in SoCal was there to bid on A Waco UPF7 up for auction. Steve was there although I did not recognize him..(he won) had a hangar there. 
Someone ask him who did the Bullet mustang bit..he answered Bud..then someone asked about the Great Escape jump and he paused and said I could have done that but it was Bud.

Then the cool of the cool said that Bud was the coolest of them all.

:-)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:42:54 AM by kirby1923 »

oldbike54

Years ago I heard that some of the stunts in the great escape were done by Tim Gibbes who was a Moto Cross rider from New Zealand.
Cheers, voncrump

Could this be the "Australian" mentioned earlier ? Apparently he was born in OZ and made his escape, ISDT rider , MXer , stuntman , promoter .

So now we have 3 possible guys that could have made the jump . Ahh Hollywood , maybe Brando really was in charge of Apocalypse Now like he claimed  :laugh:
 Actually it probably was Bud Ekins who performed the official jump , but they practiced it for a day at least , maybe all 3 riders did it in practice . Or maybe it was some unknown German rider that didn't have a SAG card .

Dusty

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor

My 15-year old nephew has jumped fences while doing a backflip. He's a decent MX racer, but by no means a pro. Modern MX bikes are a tad more capable than old Triumphs et.al.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Online Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
It's on TCM now...

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
  Just got done watching The Great Escape on TV this morning & afternoon.
 Enjoyed it just as much as any other time I have watched it.  Not many of those actors still alive now.
 McCallum and maybe a few of the youngsters that played German troops.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
You

I have the movie on dvd....Watched it last night. What a great movie...one of my all time favorites. James Garner and Donald Pleasance both passed in 2014.
McQueen was going to walk from the movie several times....Coburn and Garner talked him back into it.
The motorcycle screen was not in the book or the screen play...that was all McCool and put together with Bud.

Notice the SS officer who relieved...the commandant...???? He played in another favorite...drove a tank.....Dusty? anyone? woof woof
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
    • photobucket
I can see the "Kelly's Heroes DVD from where I am sitting.

That was quick :)

Woof woof woof "That's my other dog imitation"
2020 V 85 TT Travel
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
Those WWII movies are great. I have to watch Where Eagles Dare again; it's been decades since I've watched it.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
    • photobucket
2020 V 85 TT Travel
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
    • photobucket
Its lunch time and SWMBO said to stay put.
Funny how things can come full circle.

yeah right...too funny, nice walls....had to look past the bike though
2020 V 85 TT Travel
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here