Author Topic: Retail game changer ....  (Read 18556 times)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Retail game changer ....
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »
What we burn is all paper products, nothing else. It's likely no more harmful to the environment than a wood-burning heating device. This not always the case with my neighbors who think plastics of all sorts should be burnt as well.  :sad:

"Garbage" goes on the compost pile or bins.

You can always smell garbage with cans and plastic when it is burning. It sure is not like paper or wood.  I had a neighbor up the hill who would burn around dusk (thank goodness it wasn't to often). Being down hill the air would sink as it cooled it brought the smell with it. If I had my windows open or stepped outside in warmer weather it was a god awful smell.
I burn a lot of our paper in our Jotel stove in the winter. Get a good fire going and it burns well in my high efficiency stove.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:52:08 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2017, 12:58:32 PM »
Amazon has been "dropping the ball" of late for me. March 1st I ordered a pair of K&N air filters and a package of 12 Knorr rice side meals (a flavor that I can't find anywhere local). Two weeks go by, neither has shipped. I cancel the order for the filters and buy them for the same cost locally (Advance Auto). The rice sides still haven't shipped! Call just now to find out WTF is the hold-up. "Oh, we somehow missed that order and apologize". Now it's backordered and they *think* it would ship sometime the end of May! Told then just to cancel that too.  :angry: They did give me a $20 credit towards a future order.

Amazon strikes again! I don't have "Prime" (I don't order enough to make it worth my while and even when I had it for a trial period, orders still arrived slowly). Yesterday I order two parts for my Jetta - "4 in stock", "Order in the next 5 hrs., xx mins. and choose 1 day shipping and it'll arrive tomorrow". Both of which turn out to be totally false. None in stock the customer service rep. tells me. Since the parts were so inexpensive, I chose 1 day shipping, hoping to have them today. Not happening of course. All I get is "sorry for the inconvenience".  :angry:

Ordered from Advance Auto (again!) and should have them Monday afternoon. Cost less as well.

Charlie

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2017, 04:15:38 PM »
We burn paper, unpainted/untreated wood, cardboard/pasteboard, and landscape trimmings. Anything remotely edible (except citrus and avocados) goes to the chickens. Metal gets sold to the scrapyard and plastic/glass gets recycled. We just can't see putting all that stuff into a landfill...but we live in a rural area.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:16:52 PM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2017, 06:22:52 PM »
You never know about Amazon. Sometimes, it really *is* the best deal, especially if you consider driving somewhere. Uhh, sometimes, it's not. Just the same, I needed a refill for my Cross pen. I know.. why would you use a pen that needs refills when you can probably find a free (Guzzi content) pen laying somewhere?  :smiley:
At any rate, I *like* my Cross pen, and Amazon has a refill for 6 bux and change on Prime. The local Office Depot has them for $2.99. <shrug> Gave me an excuse to ride the AeroLario into town. Talked to an old ex Harley (guessing) dude that had crashed and didn't have a bike any more, but really liked them Guzzis. Wouldn't have had that experience if I'd just have punched the "buy it now."  :smiley:
Bought a couple. Maybe a lifetime supply.  :wink:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2017, 06:22:52 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2017, 12:05:09 PM »
Speaking of Amazon Prime ... even though I place an Amazon order every week or so, I don't see where "Prime" is going to help me any.   Almost everything I order is "Free Shipping", sometimes by combining orders the right way, and even when it says "Standard Shipping - 5 to 8 Day Delivery" as the free option, I almost always receive it in two or three days anyhow.

Matter of fact, EVERY time I've tried some "Club" or "Discount" or "Member" offer, it's turned out to be a loser for me, ever since the days of the old "Record Clubs".   I've tried:

1.  Sportsmans Guide "club" membership - never paid off.

2.  "Apply for our Credit Card and get 25% off this order ..."  Those deals are almost impossible to cancel and the fees and interest are horrific.

3.  Barnes and Noble "club" membership - never pays off.

4.  "Sam's Club" - What, PAY to even come in the front door of a discount store?   We tried it when I was first "out of work" in 2006, and it was a loser.

When someone wants you to "pay for the privilege of shopping" in their store or on their site, I feel like it's never in YOUR best interest - and so I've found over the years.

It's a marketing technique that may appeal to some, and might pay off for someone with different habits than me, but never again ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2017, 12:37:47 PM »
I'm easy to amaze, still.

I'm working on an old 4 hp pressure-washer with a Tecumseh engine, trying to bring it back from years of neglect (my neglect, if you MUST know).

Good spark, and it has a float-type butterfly-valve carb, but the carb is completely shot - float needle seat broken, main jet seal just a piece of gum, everything clogged up.   No rebuild kit available.

Found out why - checked on Amazon, and a complete new carburetor is .... $13.98.   For everything, castings, float bowl, float mechanism, jets, gaskets, linkages ....  And free shipping.   

Just don't see how they do it.   Volume I suppose ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2017, 12:45:00 PM »
Just don't see how they do it.   Volume I suppose ....

You got it... they lose money on each carb they sell, but they make it up in volume.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2017, 01:03:43 PM »
Last month the electronic ignition module on one of my Lawn-Boys stopped working. The one I paid a premium price for at the Lawn-Boy dealer. The one that was Made in Germany by PVL. The reason I bought it was I figured it would last longer than the cheap aftermarket ones. Nope.  :angry: So, this time around, I ordered one off of Amazon for $35 less.
Charlie

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2017, 01:43:59 PM »
Speaking of Amazon Prime ... even though I place an Amazon order every week or so, I don't see where "Prime" is going to help me any.   

Amazon Prime works for us because other than the "Free Shipping" we use the streaming media services......movie s and music. My wife also finds good deals on audio books through prime.......at lease she tells me she does.  :evil: :azn: :boozing:
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2017, 12:27:01 PM »
You got it... they lose money on each carb they sell, but they make it up in volume.

:thumb:
Red 90 Mille GT

Online Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2017, 01:01:37 PM »
No business put another out of business.
Their customers did it.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here