Author Topic: Got the V7III  (Read 19928 times)

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
Re: Got the V7III
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 01:06:21 AM »
Nice!
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2017, 11:56:37 AM »
Congratulations on the new ride!  I love that color. 

I must say, I'm a bit jealous of all of the Guzzis you've tried over the last several years.  The fact that you're back on a V7 is cool though, in a circular journey sort of way.
Owen

2014 V7 Special

bpreynolds

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »
Congratulations on the new ride!  I love that color. 

I must say, I'm a bit jealous of all of the Guzzis you've tried over the last several years.  The fact that you're back on a V7 is cool though, in a circular journey sort of way.

Thank you but don�t be too jealous.  It hasn�t exactly made me a millionaire  :laugh:  :wink: but I�ve had a ton of fun.  :bike-037: I feel blessed and lucky about it. 

And a thought just occurred to me as I sit here and type this, something I don�t think I�ve ever realized before or at least thought about so thank you for helping me see this.  Of the 9 wonderful Guzzis I�ve had in the last 13 years (6 different models) there never even would have even been a 2nd one in my garage without this board.  That�s the absolute truth.  The help, comraderie, and support has been invaluable over the years   :thumb:

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2017, 01:29:32 PM »
I vote for calling it orange, it matches the color of the fruit. Looks perfect with the black exhaust.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2017, 01:29:32 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »
Congrats from me, too, Brian. Glad to see you gave Enzo the business.  :thumb: The color rocks.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

bpreynolds

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2018, 08:35:10 PM »
Congrats from me, too, Brian. Glad to see you gave Enzo the business.  :thumb: The color rocks.

Sorry to just now be getting back to the thread here.  Thanks for the compliment, Chuck.  In the last 2 weeks I�ve been having a great bit of fun pretending I am a rich man  :thumb: by dropping coin on a number of additions. 
- Replaced headlight bulb and tail light bulb with LED
- Picked up HB soft bag rack and semi-rigid bags - man these things are nice
- Installed Madstad shield
- Ordered some blacked out Agostini pipes from Enzo which I hope to install this weekend
53A27376-4E03-4095-995F-FDEFED29C8AD by Brian, on Flickr

Still only have about 300 miles on the ODO but very much enjoying it for certain.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 08:44:39 PM by bpreynolds »

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2018, 10:26:05 PM »
Nice! :thumb:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 01:24:18 AM »
Sorry to just now be getting back to the thread here.  Thanks for the compliment, Chuck.  In the last 2 weeks I�ve been having a great bit of fun pretending I am a rich man  :thumb: by dropping coin on a number of additions. 
- Replaced headlight bulb and tail light bulb with LED
- Picked up HB soft bag rack and semi-rigid bags - man these things are nice
- Installed Madstad shield
- Ordered some blacked out Agostini pipes from Enzo which I hope to install this weekend
53A27376-4E03-4095-995F-FDEFED29C8AD by Brian, on Flickr

Still only have about 300 miles on the ODO but very much enjoying it for certain.

Really like the color with the black.  Nicest Stone I have seen.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2018, 03:36:17 AM »
Good luck with the new ride!

I'm looking at moving to the new V7 III for back reasons as well (coming off a Griso). Your story gives me hope that the V7 will be kinder on my back and extend my riding time.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

bpreynolds

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2018, 07:17:06 AM »

I'm looking at moving to the new V7 III for back reasons as well (coming off a Griso). Your story gives me hope that the V7 will be kinder on my back and extend my riding time.

So far so good for me as per my back on the V7 but it was a safe bet for me due to the fact I’d owned an older Stone before and had toured with it without issues.  I tend to find that back issues even with same discs involved can be incredibly different as per what aggravates one individual versus another, so I’m very hesitant here to say your results should be the same; yet, I certainly hope they are.  My former ‘15 Griso was one of the most beautiful bikes I’ve ever owned but due to my back issues and its particular ergos, it was also one of the most painful for me, even more annoying to my back than the V9 or a previous FZ1 I had.  Anyhow, I hope it works out for you; I certainly am unfortunately familiar with the challenges persnickety discs present. 

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2018, 07:47:49 AM »

IF you can wait for spring (or at LEAST for all the salt to be washed off the roads around here), you can always come out this way and take an extended ride on my V7 Stone to see how it works for you. It won't be an exact duplicate of the V7 III erogos, but it should give you a starting point and you can ride it all day if you want.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2018, 08:46:32 AM »
IF you can wait for spring (or at LEAST for all the salt to be washed off the roads around here), you can always come out this way and take an extended ride on my V7 Stone to see how it works for you. It won't be an exact duplicate of the V7 III erogos, but it should give you a starting point and you can ride it all day if you want.

Thanks for the offer Kev. I did a 'showroom fitting' with the V7 III and it feels pretty natural to me - a good indication that I can make it work.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2018, 12:52:34 PM »
I tend to find that back issues even with same discs involved can be incredibly different as per what aggravates one individual versus another, so I’m very hesitant here to say your results should be the same; yet, I certainly hope they are.

I've had disc problems since 5th grade (aggressive goalkeeper, tree climber/faller, horse rider/faller, drunk mum car accidents...  :wink: ), and my back hasn't bothered me one bit on the V7 III.
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2018, 07:01:47 PM »
 bpreynolds

Where did the V-9 end up ?    Just in case somebody else wanted a turn on it ?    :huh:

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

bpreynolds

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2018, 07:10:38 PM »
bpreynolds

Where did the V-9 end up ?    Just in case somebody else wanted a turn on it ?    :huh:

I traded it in and I think it’s still there at Cadre in Cincinnati.  For some reason the link on the website for pre-owned bikes is not working for me on the iPad but Enzo still has the ad up on local Clist it appears, so I assume it’s still there.  Got upgraded LED headlight bulb, factory rearsets, factory fly screen, Givi tail rack and Givi engine guards, and leather saddlebags with some racks I fabricated. 
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcd/d/2017-moto-guzzi-v9-roamer/6434046198.html
I think Enzo would strike a good deal for someone on it. 

twowings

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2018, 07:54:11 PM »
Do you have anymore pics of the windshield?

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2018, 09:06:55 PM »
That is a nice set-up !   CINCINNATI is a long way from Southern Tn.  I have a local dealer who had a  yellow one last summer.   I was too slow to commit and it got away , but I can't get it out of my head !   Yea , it was that 5.5 gal tank on the V7 that was the problem , still is  .   :cheesy:

2016 V7-II Stone

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2018, 05:10:25 AM »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:14:41 AM by greer »
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

bpreynolds

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2018, 06:47:17 AM »
Do you have anymore pics of the windshield?

I do but you won't like it  :grin:  It's my Winter barndoor Madstad.  Makes a charm look defective, works so well.  Adjustable rake and height.  But yeah, Madstads are like Russell saddles - maybe the best in the business but they look like shite.   :thumb:  I'll try and post more later.

That is a nice set-up !   CINCINNATI is a long way from Southern Tn.  I have a local dealer who had a  yellow one last summer.   I was too slow to commit and it got away , but I can't get it out of my head !   Yea , it was that 5.5 gal tank on the V7 that was the problem , still is  .   :cheesy:

Let�s talk about that a little bit as I see it listed on here regularly as a reason folks don�t invest in a V9 versus a V7.  It�s real for sure, but how real in practice?  Yes, you can go further on the V7.  The question then becomes how much further and does it matter?  Mabye.  Maybe not.  I keep almost meticulous records in Fuelly so I do think I have not a perfect comparison, but a good one having owned a V7 before, a V9, and now a V7II.  Even said, comparing mpg by the seat of your pants memory or even by Fuelly like I almost religiously log, is a gambit somewhat but the fact that I logged about 4 thousand miles on Fuelly with the Roamer and about 5 thousand miles on my previous V7, is a decent comparison.  I�ll say that on the same roads the Roamer got considerably better mpg (3-5mpg better) than my former �15 Stone and A LOT better than my first two tanks on the new V7 - new engine and cold weather affecting the latter. 

The numbers:

- �15 Stone in 4956 miles of driving averaged 46.1 mpg with a best mpg of 53 and a worst of 40.  As per range, that worst tank I filled up at 184 miles with about .9 gallons left in tank, meaning I probably had about 224 to empty on that one.  That best tank was filling up at 185 with another 1.5 left in tank, meaning, if that tank remained consistent, I probably had about (woof, woof) 260-270 miles to empty.

- �17 Roamer in 3928 miles of driving averaged 48.6 with a best of 56.4 and worst of 43.1.  As per range, worst tank was 112 miles with 1.4 gallons remaining, meaning even on the worst tank I still had probably 180 miles or more left in the tank if I�d wanted.  The best tank I filled up at 157 miles with another 1.2 gallons remaining in the tank - meaning I had probably had about 210-225 to empty on that tank.

- �17 V7III First 2 tanks fill up were both 40mpg.  This is an incredibly strained comparison given it grossly affected by ridiculously cold weather driving here (15-20F) and also engine break-in, but one �might� could say it is at least going to be consistent with my previous �15 Stone where worst mpg was 40. 

So yes, I think you can go further on the V7 big tank, but is it enough more to matter given the V9�s better mpg numbers?  That�s up to you.  I personally think it comes down more to how �bothered� you are by the little light on the dash.  The Roamer�s light would consistently come on early even when I had another 1.2 to 1.5 left in the tank whereas my former V7�s light would come on later and with less petrol remaining in the tank. 

The V9's mpg numbers were really surprising given it a decent bit more push than my previous Stone.  It will be interesting to see how the new V7, once broken in and weather warms up, how it compares.  I am very nearly certain I did not ride the V7 more aggressively though it does kind of encourage it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:48:57 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »
It's the cold killing the 17 mileage. my V7 III is about 3-5 MPG better than the 15 stone I also own. I't more where you live and how you ride that make smaller tanks a pain. try ridding the blue ridge parkway a 140 miles then realising you can't make it to a station. Or running down an interstate out west where it's 40-60 miles between stations at times so again at 120 you have to start thinking about it.
Let's face it you can stop to rest or pee anywhere (well almost) but there aren't any gas pumps under  most pine trees.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2018, 10:57:04 AM »
for me tanks size is less about range & more about not having to worry about gas.  I once used an ST1300 which had a 7.7 gallon tank which translated to a 300 plus mile range, handy in a touring bike but likely more than I needed.  Before the V7iii I had an 865 Bonnie which had a range of something like 100-130, depending on speed & conditions.  That got to be a bit of pain, particularly when I ran out of gas once on tour.  It's too soon to tell on the new iii but I would expect once it settles in it should have a safe range of 200 mile plus.  At that point, I sort of need to try to run low on gas, particularly for a bike of this type.

By the way,  I like what you've done with the new stone, less show, more go...
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2018, 11:57:39 PM »
Good comparison bpreynolds

On my LS650 I've put a bigger tank on it and still carry a 1000ml. in each saddle bag for that extra 25 miles to the gas station.   

I thought the V-9 might be geared a little taller than the V-7 , so :

I took those shop manuals that Guzzi Gal put up for us --- and found out the rest of the story.   Using the primary drive , 6th gear, final drive and tire dia.  I found the V-7 turns 3,600-ish at 60mph and the V-9 turns 3,100 ish at 60mph.   
Well , putting a 90 series tire on the V-7 will make it about 4% taller geared and should make a 4% increast in mpg also - ish !
I still like the looks of that V-9 , and really like that 16" rear rim that could take a Commander II tire .  I've wore-out two of them (18,000 on my Sportster) and (22,000 on my LS650).    Some how I keep seeing a V-9 in my future !  :thumb:      Just can't add that 4th bike to my parking space ...
................... ................... ................... ............

Just to nudge you a little, MMRanch.

Sarah

:grin:   I'm working on making room for one now  !  :laugh:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:04:08 AM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2018, 06:50:20 AM »

Good comparison bpreynolds

On my LS650 I've put a bigger tank on it and still carry a 1000ml. in each saddle bag for that extra 25 miles to the gas station.   

I thought the V-9 might be geared a little taller than the V-7 , so :

I took those shop manuals that Guzzi Gal put up for us --- and found out the rest of the story.   Using the primary drive , 6th gear, final drive and tire dia.  I found the V-7 turns 3,600-ish at 60mph and the V-9 turns 3,100 ish at 60mph.   
Well , putting a 90 series tire on the V-7 will make it about 4% taller geared and should make a 4% increast in mpg also - ish !

Except that mileage is rarely, if ever, such a linear thing when adjusting one variable.

Not to mention even the comparison makes an assumption that forgets differences in cylinder volume and ornis differences in mapping.

I will add anecdotally that being a big guy with an undisciplined right wrist, living in states with ethanol and oxygenated fuel, I often get lower mileage on my rides than others report on the same models.

That said I rarely get anything even as low as 46 mpg on my 13 Stone, and almost always at least break 50. I've seen as much as 56.

Since altering the position of my low fuel sensor (they were a slightly different design and placed too high on the early models) my low fuel light comes on at exactly 4.0 g consumed now and that is almost always at or past 200 miles. I've seen it come in at 220.

This gives me a predictable and comfortable 250+ range. And simply watching the trip meter helps predict this since if comes on early like 180 or 190 I know I'm not quite getting the mileage and have less than 50 miles left to get some fuel, but once I break the 200 mark with no light in certain I have at least 50 left since I'm obviously getting great mileage.

YMMV literally.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2018, 09:12:28 AM »
Long rides always help you learn a bit more about a bike and you on it.  As stated above, took the new Stone out for its first leg stretching ride of about 120-130 roundtrip miles day before yesterday.  I�ve now got about 410 or so miles total on it.  Some quick things I learned on the longer ride:

1) I was a little worried the cushy new stock seat would prove too soft over miles in comparison to the firmer seat on my previous �15 Stone but it did a really surprisingly great job. In fact, the stock seat seems to have the potential of being the best stock seat I�ve ever owned on a bike and that�s saying something.  A testament to it, I didn�t even think to think of it until after the ride.  So in those 120 miles it was a non-issue for me which is a little intriguing and making me wonder if in fact I would even need my always required Airwawk for touring on any bike I�ve owned. 

2) Even in the super cold temps of the ride (between 15-23F) with cold tires, super cold road, and salt dust in tons of curves, I still felt slightly more confident in the twisties than I did on my previous Roamer which I never thought was a poor handling bike at all.  I note this merely as my personal experience.  The ergos on the Stone feels more natural to me than the V9 when spirited riding whereas I�m sure the opposite is true for some other folks.

3) As I suspected it would, my bad back did better on the V7 than it did on the V9 and that�s a big plus for me.  The day following the ride it did bark at me a little but not in the way my back would bark when just riding the Roamer.  I plan on playing with the suspension a bit and see if that also helps.

4) I much, MUCH prefer the switchgear conrols on the V7 line than on the V9.  Again, that�s a personal thing but even when I had the Roamer I often commented that I felt the turns signals and controls were one of the more cheapy feeling aspects of an otherwise top notch finished machine.  The V7 just has a wonderful, simple look and feel. 

That big ol� barndoor Madstad did it�s trick like Madstads do and blocked the majority of ultra cold wind off me.  The thing looks like shite but sure does work well.

All in all, a very pleasing initial long ride.
Gonna install the Agos today  :afro: :grin: :boozing:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:01:09 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2018, 09:14:32 AM »
Admittedly, this is a very small sample in the scheme of things (don't judge  :tongue: ), but when added to other's observations a trend will start to show.

Since my Anni arrived (9/22/17), I've topped off the tank 2 times before a "long" ride, and given her a fill-up at the warning light 3 times.  Of the three fills, the first was at a dismal 143 miles, but the last two were at around 197 miles with city riding (surface streets, short freeway jaunts).  Those last two netted me about 43.87 mpg, which I hope will improve as my riding does, and Anni matures.

Fuel tank (reserve included)
21 l (4.62 UK gal; 5.55 US gal)
Fuel tank reserve
4 l (0.88 UK gal; 1.06 US gal)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:24:34 AM by Guzzi Gal »
"Miri" and Mori"

bpreynolds

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2018, 10:07:17 AM »
I hope will improve as my riding does, and Anni matures.

It will improve over time as per the engine breaking in.  Oddly, nearly every Goose I’ve owned that crossed this line began to first show pretty significant gains with regard to mpg between 14k-18k.  I’m sure it’s different for other folks but I have noticed this with mine.

But  :grin: what you also “may” find is that as you gain miles, experience, and confidence on the bike you will begin to use more throttle without even noticing it  :laugh:

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2018, 10:16:34 AM »
But  :grin: what you also "may" find is that as you gain miles, experience, and confidence on the bike you will begin to use more throttle without even noticing it  :laugh:

HA!  Funny, because I was separated from the group when the ride first began, by a string of lights and had to play catch-up once I hit the freeway.  So I'm moving at a good clip, not looking at my speed but rather reading traffic, and I notice a lot of helmet buffeting.  Hmmm, better check my speed, as my new Dart classic usually takes care of the wind better than this.  I was doing 95!  After I slowed down, I wished I'd rolled on the extra 5 for the "ton".  :evil: 
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2018, 10:21:20 AM »

Just listed my Griso in the Swap section of the forum. Will toss in a bottle of my favorite bourbon if that motivates anyone...

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

bpreynolds

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2018, 10:35:54 AM »
Just listed my Griso in the Swap section of the forum. Will toss in a bottle of my favorite bourbon if that motivates anyone...

Depends on the bourbon.   :wink:  :grin:

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2018, 01:43:11 PM »
Congrats, I replaced my Bobber with a Griso, your right about suspension and riding position on V7III being more back friendly. My wife loves hers

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here