Author Topic: Got the V7III  (Read 19985 times)

bpreynolds

Re: Got the V7III
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2018, 08:06:07 PM »
Got in about 200 miles on the bike today, mostly backroads but some highway.  The motorcycle did fantastically well, so smooth and easy even at 85 on the highway.  Sadly, I know it’s starting to sound like a broken record by now but unfortunately my back didn’t do that great.  I’ve backed the shocks off and just like with the Roamer, that did help some but still giving me grief.  I guess the next thing to consider is maybe some further adjustable shocks on the rear.  Maybe. 

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2018, 08:26:30 PM »
I simply would like to reassure myself before buying that the V7 suspension was considerably better than that on my 2014 CB1100.

Don't count on it.  The suspension on the 2015 V7 I owned was just above abysmal.  My 2017 V9 is marginally better.  Do yourself a favor, budget $1,500 - $2,000 to fix the suspension, Ohlins shocks and a cartridge kit for the forks.  This really should be your first upgrade.  You will not regret it.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2018, 08:37:03 PM »
A $400 rear shock upgrade makes an enormous difference.   I found my 13 V7 Stone horrible with stock rear shocks.  The AF1 units, or the Konis, made it an utterly different bike. 

I am sure the front can be improved too.  One day I will do that.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:38:09 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2018, 07:30:51 AM »
Change bars to get some more forward lean.  Change out at least the rear shocks. Go to the gym and strengthen your core.  :evil:  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2018, 07:30:51 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2018, 07:58:38 AM »
Maybe it's time to address your back?!?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2018, 08:47:59 AM »
How difficult would it be for a suspension manufacturer such as Showa or Kayaba and others to provide shocks and forks to the bike manufacturers that would work as most riders would expect?  It is disheartening to read so many posts that suggest it is necessary to spend as much as 15 - 20% of the cost of a new bike on new suspension components.  Especially disheartening if the bike in question is a relatively inexpensive $7500 machine such as a V7 III Stone  (Suspension improvements $1200 /  $7500 = 15%.) bringing the price up to $8700.

What I'm finding is that newer smaller bikes come with very stiff suspension.  Older rides, like BMWs I've owned or rented, and the little Kaw W650 came with overly soft suspension, but I've always found that an easy fix, if I fixed it at all.  I figured out early on how to ride the BMW 'gummikuhs' (rubber cows)

I've already thrown nearly $800 at the suspension on my 500+ pound CB1100, only to find that I'm not close yet to the ride I want.  And I see where, apparently, Honda caught enough enough flack over it that their 2017/2018 CB1100 comes with improved Showa Dual Bending Valve forks and improved Kayaba rear shocks.  A couple of owners of older CB1100s have replaced the stock forks with the 2017 forks, but at a cost of $400+ per fork leg.  Typically, new rear shocks are installed.  And still, its a crapshoot.

Much as I'd like a new V7 III, I'm  going to control that impulse.  I've got older bikes that need a few bucks thrown at them, and that's where the 2018 bike budget will be spent.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:51:39 AM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2018, 08:57:43 AM »
How difficult would it be for a suspension manufacturer such as Showa or Kayaba and others to provide shocks and forks to the bike manufacturers that would work as most riders would expect?  It is disheartening to read so many posts that suggest it is necessary to spend as much as 15 - 20% of the cost of a new bike on new suspension components.

Part of the problem is defining "necessary" as it's very subjective.

Another part of the problem is actually what Pete is always grumbling about, chassis design.

The fact of the matter is that I think most people who feel it is "necessary" to throw that much money at the suspension are comparing the performance of these bikes to modern bikes (say something monoshock and higher price from the start).

Let's face it, that's not quite apples and pomegranates, but it's definitely not apples and apples.

Others of us may know the difference but don't care enough to chase it.

I've had a CARC in the fleet, I've had a Paralever/Tele-lever BMW, I've also had Airheads... I'm ok with the latter, even if I know what the former can be like.

But yeah, if you're expecting CARC then it's the wrong bike.

Of course I would point out that IF you bought a CARC new at the MSRP you'd be spending more than V7+suspension.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »
Didn't really want to repeat all this stuff as I feel like I covered it in large measure in my V9 thread, but I repeat here because there's always the risk of me whining and someone misinterpreting that complaint as something against the bike.  I will emphasize again that my specific issues here are due to a considerable amount of disc damage, sustained and ongoing for about 10 years now, getting progressively worse/better depending on the issue.  Worse as far as what aggravates them, or rather, they are more easily aggravated now by a motorcycle than they used to be, but better overall in that since I began working out, I have not had to return to the ER (knock on wood 5 times) with significant strain in over 2 years, and by significant strain I mean injured to the level near immobility and a level of pain that makes my former kidney stones seem like needle prick.  But, after many years of re-injuring them I�ve also now figured out physical strategies on how to recover much faster when I do injure them significantly.  In fact, last time it happened (2 years ago) I was back at work in two days flat which is pretty amazing compared to previous times.  Anyhow, I�m getting tired of hearing mr harp about my back and  bike and I�m sure others here are tired of hearing it too.  For me, I don�t faul the bike remotely.  For what it is I think the V7 does a fantastic job and just speaking as per handling, it�s more fun in the twisty stuff than my former V9.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:46:18 PM by bpreynolds »

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2018, 12:03:24 PM »
BP:  Have you tried a kidney belt.  Either one designed for weight lifting or, as I have, a fabric one that uses velcro, so it has total adjustability and came from a hospital.  Using it forces you to sit in the correct position for your back as well as giving extra support to your core muscles.  I don't usually use this for rides under 100 miles, but take it on any trip I take.  Being fabric, it rolls up very small.

I rode in Northern KY and Indiana yesterday as far south as the Markland Dam.  Great day to be out in our region.  Friday was even nicer.  Great to feel the big guzz under me again.
Blue Guzz

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2018, 12:31:42 PM »

With a quick search so I found was a dyno chart for the later W800 and it topped at ~46 rwhp so I'm guessing the W650 had no more at the rear wheel than the MKI V7 (like my Stone).

And that jives with my bud's W650 I spent much of a summer riding a few years back (perhaps Jay can chime in since he now owns it)

Along with the W650, I too have a MKI (or is that MK1.5) V7, actually two of them, a '13 Racer, and a '14 Special.    They are very comparable bikes in power, handling, and brakes, with the V7 brakes being slightly better, though, I'll be better pads on the W650 would help.    I sold my last R100R after getting my V7 Special.    The power different really isn't that much, despite the 250cc advantage on the R100R (same as the R100GS motor).   The 980cc boxer has a little more low end torque, but, no big deal, I just shift the V7 at a little higher RPM.

I also spent a few hours on a bone stock CB1100 a couple years back while the owner of that bike rode my '14 V7 Special with the $400ish Ikon shocks on it.    I'd say that the two were comparable in the comfort dept., though, I can back off on rebound damping one notch from where I normally keep it (V7) to make it more comfortable, though, when the road gets rough, it gets slightly bouncy then.

I've had a Breva 1100; likely the equal of your 1200.   I don't think you'll ever get a V7 to ride as nice as your 1200.   Same for your R100GS.    I've had two R100R's, and had a YSS shock on the second one.   Both were superior to the V7, and to the CB1100 in the suspension dept.   

Maybe higher end shocks on the Ikons that I bought for my Special would make it better.   The stock Bi-tubos on my Racer are no better than the Ikons.

All that said, I've not ridden a V7-III, so, I don't know if they ride better or not.

A $400 rear shock upgrade makes an enormous difference.   I found my 13 V7 Stone horrible with stock rear shocks.  The AF1 units, or the Konis, made it an utterly different bike. 

I am sure the front can be improved too.  One day I will do that.

Agreed, the $400 I spent on the Ikons for my '14 Special was well worth it, it is definitely a huge improvement.   BUT, still not as good as a modern mono shock.

Change bars to get some more forward lean.  Change out at least the rear shocks. Go to the gym and strengthen your core.  :evil:  :smiley:

@bpreynolds,  Depending on your back problem, that can help quite a bit, though too much forward lean can close the hip angle, making sciatica problem worse.   Lower or more rear set foot pegs may be needed withe more forward lean, or might even help w/o changing the bars.

Is your back problem sciatica?    I've got a lot of experience with that.    Core strength does go along way towards helping.
I the end though, because of a pars fracture on L5, I needed fusion to keep my spinal alignment from continuing to worsen.

Discuss the ergonomics of your bike(s) with your doctor, they might be able to make suggestions in adjusting the rider triangle to help.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:41:00 PM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2018, 01:10:19 PM »
Along with the W650, I too have a MKI (or is that MK1.5) V7, actually two of them, a '13 Racer, and a '14 Special.   

@bpreynolds,  Depending on your back problem, that can help quite a bit,

I would say the 15 with the wet alternator would be the Mk 1.5

And you've been busy I guess but Bpr gave up and sold it a few weeks back.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:11:26 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2018, 03:06:58 PM »

And you've been busy I guess but Bpr gave up and sold it a few weeks back.

Well, haven�t sold it just yet  :wink: but a fellow wg board member is coming down from NY tomorrow to possibly buy the whole kit and caboodle. 

@bpreynolds,  Depending on your back problem, that can help quite a bit, though too much forward lean can close the hip angle, making sciatica problem worse.   Lower or more rear set foot pegs may be needed withe more forward lean, or might even help w/o changing the bars.

Is your back problem sciatica?    I've got a lot of experience with that.    Core strength does go along way towards helping.
I the end though, because of a pars fracture on L5, I needed fusion to keep my spinal alignment from continuing to worsen.

Discuss the ergonomics of your bike(s) with your doctor, they might be able to make suggestions in adjusting the rider triangle to help.

Closing the hip angle definitely is an aggravator for my back. On Cycle-ergos I�ve been able to see the bikes that best suit me have me with a very wide hip angle. 

As per sciatic stuff, my 2-3 bad discs, when they�ve been injured or just barking terribly at me - similar to what they did on my last 150 mile on the albeit wonderful V7III - will also cause a lot of sciatic pain down both legs.  Brief whoa is me story, one time when I still owned my Pop�s (rest his soul) farm in southeastern KY I was there working, using a sledge to bust up an aged and already broken concrete outdoor table.  Told myself not to try to lift that one big block and, of course, I did.  Struggling to make it to the porch I called for my family to hurry and get me back to my mom�s house because I knew I only had about 15 minutes before the back would lock up entirely as it does following injury.  I spent a couple days getting mobile again and when I had enough strength I drove the 250 miles back to home in Louisville.  That was the absolute worst sciatic pain I�ve probably ever had in my life.  The position of driving a car seems to do a special thing to them.  Man oh man was that a rough 250 miles.  Coulda been worse though so not greatly complaining.  And too, that was before I knew what to do after injuring them. 

Years later after many trips to the ER and many doctor visits, a worker�s comp physician was the only doc among many to say to me - then practically immobile at the comp clinic - �Okay, later tonight I want you to get up every 30 minutes and go to the bathroom, kitchen, whatever.  You�re going to do this every 30 minutes no matter how bad it hurts.�  I thought she was crazy and spent a better part of the evening cursing her every single time I got up and totally believing I was doing something permanently damaging to my back, so painful.  Much to my suprise, however, I spent the next day being incredibly surprised by how much faster I seemed to be healing.  Since then, on those rare occasions when I have injured the discs - rarer these days since I started lifting weights and strengthening my core - I know better what to do and how to reocover a tremendous amount faster.  I am very thankful and blessed for having met that doctor, and blessed even more my troubles have not been as severe as others.

As I stated in a kind of so long thread a week or two back, I don�t see me on a Goose again anytime soon, but I�m okay with that for now.  I�ve been so lucky to have owned so many wonderful Guzzis over the years.   :thumb: 

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2018, 04:13:48 PM »
We'll, THAT totally sucks.
Prayers for you. Getting along day in and out is larger than any motorcycle.
Hope you can find continued quality time with your Katoom!
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline sgl0226

• New Egg
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2018, 06:12:34 PM »
bpreynolds......I hope you have a miraculous turnaround with your back and you manage to hang on to your V7.  I just bought one from Enzo on Friday and would enjoy riding with you.  Best of luck. 

Joe A.

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2018, 06:18:53 PM »
Well, haven�t sold it just yet  :wink: but a fellow wg board member is coming down from NY tomorrow to possibly buy the whole kit and caboodle. 

I'll be going to bed in about an hour so I can get up early (0230 or so) so I can find my way to Louisville to buy me some new "Kit and Caboodle!"

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2018, 06:22:21 PM »
Good for you Joe!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Joe A.

« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2018, 06:24:05 PM »
Good for you Joe!

thanks Jim. Decided to keep the Breva also. The two of them combined give me a large bike!

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2018, 06:28:45 PM »
I kinda figured when I saw you sold the Beemer.  Nothing like a Guzzi, eh?
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Joe A.

« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2018, 07:07:45 PM »
Truth be told, I loved that BMW, but I'm a tad too short for it's top heaviness. I have reached the chapter where I am now small bike guy!
Except for a bit of a blow to my ego, I'm okay with that. :laugh:

But you are right, there is nothing like a Guzzi. the only knock on the Beemer is that it's a souless bastid!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:08:38 PM by Joe A. »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2018, 08:59:36 PM »

I have reached the chapter where I am now small bike guy!
Except for a bit of a blow to my ego, I'm okay with that. [emoji23]

Meh,

Sometimes I laugh at the fact that the fastest bike in my garage is:

* The smallest
* Belongs to my wife and not me.

And when I say the smallest I mean it's < 1/2 of the biggest. [emoji23]

I mean it's 696cc and not 1690cc (that's what 2.4x bigger)

It's ~400#, not 800#.

11.23 1/4 mile

vs

low 13's 1/4 mile

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2018, 10:09:15 PM »
I would say the 15 with the wet alternator would be the Mk 1.5

I would think that the 2009-2012 2TB V7's were the Mk1, and 2013-2015 Mk1.5.
I honestly forgot that they had a wet alternator version prior to the MkII.    Maybe call that Mk 1.75  :rolleyes:
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

bpreynolds

« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2018, 05:33:48 AM »
I'll be going to bed in about an hour so I can get up early (0230 or so) so I can find my way to Louisville to buy me some new "Kit and Caboodle!"

Good you chimed in, Joe.  I didn’t want to say who cause I thought well, maybe he won’t like it  :laugh: So glad to potentially be selling it to a WG guy.  I hope you take it home and many miles and smiles follow. 

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2018, 05:56:46 AM »
I would think that the 2009-2012 2TB V7's were the Mk1, and 2013-2015 Mk1.5.
I honestly forgot that they had a wet alternator version prior to the MkII.    Maybe call that Mk 1.75  :rolleyes:
Harrumph, the count obviously starts with the 1TBs!

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here