Author Topic: The most basic riding gear question .....  (Read 20104 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: The most basic riding gear question .....
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »
So I think we finally got this sorted, and many thanks to everyone who contributed.

Fay's going with a set of Rukka "Orbita" jacket and pants from Revzilla.   She had ordered and returned a set of Klim "Artemis" and a set of Klim "Altitude" because once she tried them on, she didn't like them, either too heavy (the Artemis is made as "Adventure" gear, off-road weight) or too short-armed and -legged (Altitude).

The Rukka jacket is a perfect fit and is the nicest jacket I've ever seen.    The pants, at the suggestion of the video that Revzilla provides with every product, she ordered one size down from her "measured" size, but they were too small, so she's returned those and they're sending a size larger; turns out the newer Rukka gear is made exactly to size rather than a bit larger as in years past.   It only takes two days to turn around and you only pay shipping once, so not really a problem.   

I've ordered an Aerostich "Darien" jacket and "AD1 Light" pants.   They were almost "custom" in their size and color, so it was going to be 3 weeks to get them made and shipped, but I called Aerostich, let them know my 'deadline' need, and they've moved me to the front of the production queue and I should have them next week.

Two Snaps Up for both Revzilla's and Aerostich's customer service, too.   

We'll need to spend some time breaking them in, since we're leaving right after Labor Day.   We decided to keep our old helmets (they're 6 or 7 years old but never "impacted" and still work) and install a pair of "Sena" units to be able to talk to each other; they work really well.

A far cry from the day when we'd just throw on a denim jacket and a plastic rainsuit and boogie, but as the saying goes we are "Too soon old, and too late smart", and we don't mind a bit of comfort these days on a long ride .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »
I'll be looking forward to the reviews!   :grin:
For me, the whole thread has been …. uh, educational, but I think not unambiguously conclusive.
Again, looking forward to your review! And do have a nice trip!  :thumb:
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2018, 01:46:40 PM »
Great choices, Lannis. I agree with your better half...Klim doesn’t work for me, either.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »

I've ordered an Aerostich "Darien" jacket and "AD1 Light" pants.   They were almost "custom" in their size and color, so it was going to be 3 weeks to get them made and shipped, but I called Aerostich, let them know my 'deadline' need, and they've moved me to the front of the production queue and I should have them next week.

Lannis

Well, Aerostich finished my Darien jacket and AD1 pants on Tuesday as promised and I got them in the mail yesterday.

The Darien jacket is surprisingly light; I've been used to much heavier lined textile jackets.   It has more snaps, pockets, magnetic catches, vents, zippers, adjusters, and pads than you can shake a stick at - the owners manual is 4 closely-spaced pages.   Fits as advertised.   I may or may not get a chance to ride with it before we leave on our trip, things have gotten really busy only 3 days before the "off", but I've been wearing it some to get it "broken in" and see if anything chafes.

The AD1 pants are very comfortable, very adjustable, and fit just right when sitting on the bike; it's like they're not there.   One tag says "This single layer garment is designed to be worn over street clothes for additional abrasion protection" and another says "You may want to wear shorts under it if the temperature is over 98 degF", but they feel very protective and have nice adjustable padding in them.

I won't be able to do a review until we get back, but I'll know by then "how they are"!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here