Author Topic: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !  (Read 1093210 times)

Offline mytfour

• New Egg
Re: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !
« Reply #2190 on: October 31, 2016, 05:55:33 PM »
Hello to everyone! I'm Shawn from South Carolina, and yes, I do have a genuine Southern accent that makes people ask where I'm from.  Born nearby in Western NC, way back in 1960, and grew up in a textile mill village in a small foothills town. I am lucky enough to be in a day's ride of some of the best roads in the entire Southeast.

Just bought my second Guzzi - a 2012 Norge with only 5k miles (well it did have 5k miles... :wink:). Previously I have one of the lovely V11 Sport models with the red frame and green paintwork. Wish I had kept that one forever! I have had the privilege of owning some really cool bikes in my life, and I can proudly say that every street bike has been European. 

Offline SundayRider

• New Egg
« Reply #2191 on: November 09, 2016, 01:25:30 PM »
Hi Everyone!

New member here.  Let's see, I'm a recent convert to Guzzi-dom - bought a Norge last year and love it.  Photo below.

I live near Philly.  Have been a mostly Triumph rider up til now. 

Nice to be here!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:01:21 AM by SundayRider »

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2192 on: November 09, 2016, 01:59:48 PM »
Welkommen!  There a number of the Guzzi "idiots" out your way.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline EV11Jack

• New Egg
« Reply #2193 on: November 09, 2016, 06:16:35 PM »
Hi, I really don't know if I'm doing this the right way, but if no one replies to me, I'll assume I did something wrong, or incomplete. I'm trying to introduce myself to the group. I'm EV11Jack. Just bought a 1998 EV11 California. Unfortunately it broke down on my first ride to work :embarrassed: Ended up trailering it to a local shop (20 miles, but from what I understand, 20 miles for an MG shop is "close"). Anyhow they've diagnosed it as a bad regulator and alternator. Parts confirmation has been difficult, but they tell me they're making progress. Hope to get it back before I need to put snow chains on it!
Ok, back to me. I'm 63, live on Long Island, NY. Stopped riding 25-30 years ago with family obligations. The kids are grown and in school so I thought I stick my toe in the water once again. I have no aspirations of long road trips, just short jaunts and going to work.
Looking forward to "meeting" more of you all here on the forum. I know these things are invaluable. If anyone is on LI, I'd love to hear from you.
Keep the shiny side up and rubber side down.

cheers,
Jack

1998 EV11 California

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #2193 on: November 09, 2016, 06:16:35 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #2194 on: November 09, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »
 You're doing fine Jack , and welcome to our family  :thumb:

Dusty

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2195 on: November 09, 2016, 06:58:26 PM »
Where on LI are you?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline ywgbandit

• New Egg
« Reply #2196 on: November 10, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »
Hi Guys & Gals. A bit about myself:
I am 61 yrs
I am retired
I live in Creston, BC, Canada 6 miles from the BC/Idaho Border
I have been riding motorcycles since 1974
Where I live now has some of the very best M/C riding in North America.
I presently own a 2008 Suzuki GSF1250 S Bandit set up for touring.
I have done almost every mod possible to the Bandit, suspension, brakes, TFI ECU, exhaust, etc, etc.
I am very interested in getting a Moto Guzzi Norge.

I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!

oldbike54

« Reply #2197 on: November 10, 2016, 08:07:47 PM »
 Oh no ...another Canuck  :grin:

Just kidding , welcome , good hunting .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2198 on: November 10, 2016, 08:25:22 PM »
Hi Guys & Gals. A bit about myself:
I am 61 yrs
I am retired
I live in Creston, BC, Canada 6 miles from the BC/Idaho Border
I have been riding motorcycles since 1974
Where I live now has some of the very best M/C riding in North America.
I presently own a 2008 Suzuki GSF1250 S Bandit set up for touring.
I have done almost every mod possible to the Bandit, suspension, brakes, TFI ECU, exhaust, etc, etc.
I am very interested in getting a Moto Guzzi Norge.

Many of us (well, one of us that I'm absolutely sure of) would like to hear your impression of the Norge vs. the Bandit once you get a ride on a Norge.   I have friends that have touring-equipped Bandits like yours and they like them very much; a great touring bike at half the price of a new purpose-built one ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2199 on: November 11, 2016, 12:59:37 PM »
Hi, I really don't know if I'm doing this the right way, but if no one replies to me, I'll assume I did something wrong, or incomplete. I'm trying to introduce myself to the group. I'm EV11Jack. Just bought a 1998 EV11 California. Unfortunately it broke down on my first ride to work :embarrassed: Ended up trailering it to a local shop (20 miles, but from what I understand, 20 miles for an MG shop is "close"). Anyhow they've diagnosed it as a bad regulator and alternator. Parts confirmation has been difficult, but they tell me they're making progress. Hope to get it back before I need to put snow chains on it!
Ok, back to me. I'm 63, live on Long Island, NY. Stopped riding 25-30 years ago with family obligations. The kids are grown and in school so I thought I stick my toe in the water once again. I have no aspirations of long road trips, just short jaunts and going to work.
Looking forward to "meeting" more of you all here on the forum. I know these things are invaluable. If anyone is on LI, I'd love to hear from you.
Keep the shiny side up and rubber side down.

cheers,
Jack

Welcome Jack.. I see you have one of the highly sought after "hotdog and mustard" EVs. Good for you.  :smiley: More than likely, there was a bad ground to the regulator, and it burnt up. That's the most likely scenario. Once you get the new one on, run a dedicated ground wire from the regulator case to a timing chest bolt.
Edit: To test the alternator, check between the yellow wires when it's running. Should show around 40-50 volts AC.
Easy Peasy. The shop shouldn't have a problem diagnosing it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:02:47 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline ZumWohl

• New Egg
« Reply #2200 on: November 12, 2016, 01:58:42 AM »
Ciao, the few Ladies and mostly Gentlemen on the board... my name is Don.  I'm from the Philly suburbs, just hit age 60 (damn), and although recently retired, currently work at Sikorsky Helicopter in charming Coatesville, PA.

The name ZumWohl is a tip of the hat to my years in West Germany (before the wall came down) as a lad in Army Aviation.  Very impressionable; Germany was (and still is!) beautiful, but their heavenly bier transfused my blood for the duration there.  I had German friend say something that sticks with me through today... I told him I rode, and he said "you may ride a motorcycle, but I ride a Moto Guzzi".  And since then, I became determined to ride one too.

I was fortunate to purchase my first Guzzi two weeks ago, a basically stock 2015 GRiSO with 5700 miles.  I have been looking at Guzzi's for over two years, the main focus on a Stelvio, which would have been a natural segue from my V-Strom DL1000.  But I came to realize that I'm no longer 'adventure riding', likely not going to do long trips to faraway places and camp for days on end.  No, I recently figured it's time to get a bike I can take out for a day and just enjoy the ride (as well as the raw sexiness of the GRiSO).  I'll commute on it, and enjoy the weekends as well.

I realize the GRiSO has been around for a while, and may not be that exciting to many here, but it's my first Guzzi and I have a ton of questions regarding this girl that I'm sure the collective here can answer.  I'll post them in a separate thread.  Sorry for no pics, but she looks like every other stock Red Devil at the moment... I hope to make her mine in the next year.

Best regards,
Don

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #2201 on: November 12, 2016, 11:47:29 AM »
Welcome to Wild Guzzi!  I owned a 2012 Griso 8vSE for 3 years.  Beautiful bikes ..... mine was in Tenni Green with the brown saddle and black wire wheels.  Sold in 2015, but memories of that lovely 8 valve engine linger on.  Should probably have hung onto it, but was facing having the bike rollerized and having the front and rear suspension made more compliant.  I just wasn't in the mood at the time to dig into it. 

As you'll see in my signature, I still own and ride my 2008 2v 1200 Sport, another lovely Guzzi product.  She just turned 64,000 miles.

There's certainly forum members better equipped to answer your questions, but I may be able to point you in the right direction on simpler issues, so feel free to drop me a pm. 

Wild Guzzi has provided a wonderful virtual family for me as a Guzzi owner.  I'm confident you'll have the same experience.

Welcome aboard!

Bob (Ohiorider)
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2202 on: November 12, 2016, 02:45:38 PM »
Ciao, the few Ladies and mostly Gentlemen on the board... my name is Don.  I'm from the Philly suburbs, just hit age 60 (damn), and although recently retired, currently work at Sikorsky Helicopter in charming Coatesville, PA.

Best regards,
Don

We'll enjoy seeing how you "personalize" your Guzzi as you go ... I personalize mine but it tends to be stuff you can't see like ergonomics and suspension height ..... so post a few pics when you get a chance.

And I hit 60 myself a ways back.   I didn't append a "damn" to it, because I'd a whole lot rather hit 60 years old 720 months after I was born than to NOT hit 60 at that time ..... !    :thumb:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline 83 Sicillian

• New Egg
  • save a pretzel for the gas jets!
    • my work website
« Reply #2203 on: November 13, 2016, 08:57:27 AM »
Hey there! I joined a while ago but haven't been on much at all.

I just bought a new V9 Bobber and I love it. I have twi early 80's V65SP's, one perfectly restored and the other is very low miles and needing some restoration.

I expect to be here quite often now as I go about repairing the one early bike.
1983 V65sp from Sicily, fully restored, painted, polished and Red!

Offline ywgbandit

• New Egg
« Reply #2204 on: November 13, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »
Many of us (well, one of us that I'm absolutely sure of) would like to hear your impression of the Norge vs. the Bandit once you get a ride on a Norge.   I have friends that have touring-equipped Bandits like yours and they like them very much; a great touring bike at half the price of a new purpose-built one ....

Lannis
I have done an official Iron Butt and many non official ones. Out of the box the Bandit has some major issues. Suspension being the big one, but all fixable. It's actually a very capable sport/touring bike. I got my 2008 as NOS in fall of 2010 for $5500.00. Of course I put almost that much back in as accessories...LOL!
I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!

Offline blacktruck

• New Egg
  • Traveler
« Reply #2205 on: November 13, 2016, 06:14:18 PM »
Hi Everyone!

New member here.  Let's see, I'm a recent convert to Guzzi-dom - bought a Norge last year and love it.  Photo below.

I live near Philly.  Have been a mostly Triumph rider up til now. 

Nice to be here!

Hello Sunday Rider..
Nice to see another Norge here in the faster black color. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Great riding in that area as I recall. Ride safe man and enjoy.

Offline mauricedonini

• New Egg
« Reply #2206 on: November 14, 2016, 07:24:58 PM »
Hi Gang,

Maurice here from Connecticut.  Age - 55.  Profession - IT geek in banking world. 

Just purchased a 1999 California V1100 EV. 

I'm the mechanic on this bike, so I will be asking lots of questions. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline DSL

• New Egg
« Reply #2207 on: December 01, 2016, 12:17:47 PM »
Greetings to you all From Vermont.

I am an old time BMW air head rider,  with a long time passion to get into a Guzzi.
Well that has happened,  New to me is a 86 Lemans 1000.  In its previous life there was an attempt to change it into a cafe looking type of bike.
So with that said, I will be asking for some advice here in the appropriate areas.  If of course Y'all are willing.

Cheers,  Mike

76 BMW R90S hybrid
86 Lemans 1000

oldbike54

« Reply #2208 on: December 01, 2016, 12:28:55 PM »
 DSL , some of these guys will have hurt feelings if you don't ask questions  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline DSL

• New Egg
« Reply #2209 on: December 01, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »
No worries, I have questions!!
Mike
76 BMW R90S hybrid
86 Lemans 1000

Offline gerryp

• Gosling
« Reply #2210 on: December 01, 2016, 02:00:42 PM »
Hi Gang,

Maurice here from Connecticut.  Age - 55.  Profession - IT geek in banking world. 

Just purchased a 1999 California V1100 EV. 

I'm the mechanic on this bike, so I will be asking lots of questions. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Maurice,

Where in Ct are you located?

Gerry
2015 Guzzi V7 Stone - Gloss Red

Offline motobianca

• New Egg
« Reply #2211 on: December 01, 2016, 02:25:29 PM »
Hello all,
New to forums in general - this one in particular, so if I goof, let me know. . .  The name is Jack, age 55, from hot and sticky Florida.  I've worked through several careers, so as they say "jack of all trades, master of none" is fitting.  Had a fleet of dirt bikes in the 70's and bought my first Guzzi, a '75 850 T in '77.  It suffered from poor maintenance and had been run without lube to the top end.  I stripped it to a bare frame and rebuilt the motor, then spent breaks during my last two years in high school riding it solo around the US and Canada to the tune of about 20,000 miles. When I left for college I traded the bike for an MGB and have been sorry ever since. 

My wife and I both ride, and this year we had the good fortune to find her an '09 V7c in showroom condition with 6k miles on the clock.  It runs super lean so I'm interested in adding some fuel in the right places.  I've been data logging and remapping my Buell XB9 with a home-brew bluetooth dongle and a smart phone for several years now.  I also added a wide band O2 sensor and AFR gauge, the improvements in performance and "rideability" were dramatic.  The EFI on the V7 is a more sophisticated system, so I have lots of questions. . .

Best regards to all, and thanks in advance for your patience as I learn my way around the forum.
Current: '09 V7c - '03 Buell XB9s
Back in the day: '75 MG 850 T - '76 Duc 860 GT

oldbike54

« Reply #2212 on: December 01, 2016, 02:54:24 PM »
 Motoblanca , search for "beetlemaps" here on WG . He will fix you up .

Dusty

Offline motobianca

• New Egg
« Reply #2213 on: December 01, 2016, 05:08:29 PM »
Thanks, I'll do that
Current: '09 V7c - '03 Buell XB9s
Back in the day: '75 MG 850 T - '76 Duc 860 GT

Offline Laker

• New Egg
« Reply #2214 on: December 03, 2016, 11:21:35 PM »
Tim Powers

Former Midwesterner (both Cheesehead and FIB) now in Central Texas
Married a great woman who rides a 2013 V7 Special
Blessed with zero children
Business development for B2B analytics software

Miss my Griso and want another Goose
Have some Aprilias that I love, a scooter, some bicycles, and a skateboard I can't ride yet
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:56:16 AM by Laker »
Tim Powers
Austin, TX

2013 V7 Special (wife's bike)
2015 Ducati Multistrada S Touring
2015 Piaggio Fly 150
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory

oldbike54

« Reply #2215 on: December 04, 2016, 09:16:18 AM »
 Hello Tim , we have a couple of other members in Austin . Hope you find your goose  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Laker

• New Egg
« Reply #2216 on: December 04, 2016, 06:28:39 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Dusty!
Tim Powers
Austin, TX

2015 Piaggio Fly 150

oldbike54

« Reply #2217 on: December 04, 2016, 06:40:31 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Dusty!

I live in that foreign country just North of the Red River , so when the poking fun at Texas thing starts , remember the nice welcome  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Laker

• New Egg
« Reply #2218 on: December 04, 2016, 08:43:30 PM »
Ha! I wonder if you were part of a group I ran into about a year ago when I had my Griso up at the Taligent scenic byway.  There was some sort of forum get together (this one?) and I met some nice folks, albeit briefly.
Tim Powers
Austin, TX

2015 Piaggio Fly 150

oldbike54

« Reply #2219 on: December 04, 2016, 08:49:35 PM »
Ha! I wonder if you were part of a group I ran into about a year ago when I had my Griso up at the Taligent scenic byway.  There was some sort of forum get together (this one?) and I met some nice folks, albeit briefly.

Yes, the JN Smyth Memorial Okie campout , that was probably two years ago . You were with a buddy riding an Aprillia ? Rode over to the 259 junction on the Talimena DR with us ?
 Oh , just to clarify , Oct of last year .

Dusty

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:51:20 PM by oldbike54 »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here