Author Topic: Beware of Counterfeight Parts  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Beware of Counterfeight Parts
« on: March 20, 2019, 10:57:00 PM »
The other day i was looking for something a bit out of the ordinary so to fill the order out I included a set of points and a condenser for my loop.
I changed the points and condenser thinking I would give the old girl a freshen up.

It worked well for a day then on Sunday it suddenly started missing like crazy on both cylinders together, related to throttle setting. Of course I hadden't stuck the old parts in the bike something I normally do.
When I finally got back home I put the old condenser back in and it ran like a champ, changed back again and nothing but misery.
The new condenser has no markings whatsoever and neither does the set of points.

So just be aware and take the old set with your for a while.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:06:43 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

oldbike54

Re: Beware of Counterfeight Parts
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 11:01:25 PM »
 Had the same thing happen on my /5 , first the wire to the points broke at the connection point , then the condenser failed . Managed to fix the wire , bought a condenser from an auto parts store .

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 11:27:31 PM »
Yes, serves me right, funny thing I ended up paying almost as much as I would from MG Cycle, it wasn't them of course, never had any problem with their stuff.

Up here none of the parts places have anything out of the ordinary I would hate to find a capacitor but I have some genuine Japanese ones.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 01:25:17 AM »
had the same thing happening with a oem part, bought at my local guzzi dealer.
the only advantage was i could get a new one on warranty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 01:25:17 AM »

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 06:41:48 AM »
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 07:43:35 AM »
In a bike mag over here last month there was an article on counterfeit Arai Helmets. Here's Arais comments https://www.araihelmet.eu/en/counterfeit

Still, if you think you can buy a new Arai for £150 then I guess the gene pool will be improved when you fall off and discover that the "Arai bargain" was about as much use as a chocolate fire guard!

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 07:52:49 AM »
Cheap/junk wet electrical parts are common. I like older points/condenser systems over computer tech. Keep the older, known to work, points & condenser when you do a tune up. You won't get stranded, and they take up little room.

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 08:33:31 AM »
My sculpture business/industry-level competition is nearly all based in China.  as a result, I've been very involved with related topics for nearly 20 yrs.

A former student had spent a significant amount of time in China developing manufacturing resources.  He told me it was not a problem to find companies that would make anything you would pay for, including reproducing copyrighted & trademarked logos on packaging and comparable identifying information on parts.  These services were offered to him in normal business conversations, not in cloak & dagger scenarios.  All you have to do is pay.   Costs were not prohibitive, at least on the China end of the deal.

Sometimes these parts are easy to ID.  Sometimes they aren't.  People selling them may or may not know, but the damage is done to the real company.  I'll skip opinions about trying to compete with the communist China system on their march to the front of the line.  I will suggest getting all facts in order before flaming someone over bad parts.  The seller may know, but they may not. A few knock-offs getting mixed into the parts supply chain may not be their fault.  And if it's too good to be true and you still buy it, your greed has earned its keep...
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 08:59:31 AM »
This ^^^^^ when I retired , counterfeit aviation parts were becoming a huge problem.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »
I thought this was interesting:  https://hmb-guzzi.de/Capacitor-module-V7-models-V7-Special-850-GT-etc

I like it that these guys are making a quality capacity, but approx $40?!  For my many 6 volt bikes I often get lawn mower condensers from a local farm store.  Or a VW bug condenser at an auto place.  All $5 - 10.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 04:52:29 PM »
..................  Sometimes these parts are easy to ID.  Sometimes they aren't.  People selling them may or may not know, but the damage is done to the real company.  I'll skip opinions about trying to compete with the communist China system on their march to the front of the line.  I will suggest getting all facts in order before flaming someone over bad parts.  The seller may know, but they may not. A few knock-offs getting mixed into the parts supply chain may not be their fault.  And if it's too good to be true and you still buy it, your greed has earned its keep...

Did I flame somebody? Who?
The price wasn't too good to be true, I did say I paid a fair price for the parts.
I have been in touch with the seller, they are selling parts that fail they should know about it.
I think it's significant that the parts have no identification marks.
The seller claims "Imported from Europe"
Cheers
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:55:31 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 06:38:16 PM »
Did I flame somebody? Who?
The price wasn't too good to be true, I did say I paid a fair price for the parts.
I have been in touch with the seller, they are selling parts that fail they should know about it.
I think it's significant that the parts have no identification marks.
The seller claims "Imported from Europe"
Cheers

Roy, I didn't mean to imply that you or anyone here flamed anyone and apologize for any miscommunication.  That's why no quote was made.  Just making a general suggestion, based upon previously witnessing this happening elsewhere. 

One legendary USA company makes a metal shear.  Their outstanding design was completely ripped off, reportedly after giving a tour to some visiting chinese businessmen. A rep at the USA company told me a long story about the wave of calls they suddenly started receiving about problems with "their" shears.  As they attempted to warranty the counterfeit shears, they learned what had happened long after it happened.  Several years later, they now refuse to sell their quality blades to use in these bad shears nor do they service them.     The general buying public also now knows the differences between a real Beverly Shear and similar design fake shears sold for a fraction of the price.  But now many are upset with Beverly Shear for refusing to sell their quality blades for junk Chinese-made knockoffs that they deliberately purchase.  Threads about this specific topic are fairly easy to find on the web. 

"Too good to be true" pricing referenced items such as the mentioned Arai helmets.

Again, I apoligize. 

1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »
It's difficult to even buy a decent pair of socks anymore.  Levis $40 that pull out belt loops like $12 jeans from Sam's.

:thewife: :thewife: :thewife: :thewife: :thewife: :thewife: :thewife: :thewife:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 10:16:14 AM »
Ok, I bit my tongue until I had time to dissect this capacitor. I took the end off and it fell apart, there was nothing holding the parts in contact with each other and obvious sign of arcing inside.
I can now say with no fear of refute this thing is a piece of garbage.

I dragged my scope out and took a look at the ignition trace first of all with a condenser

And then without, half the amplitude and a ragged looking waveform.

Any significant throttle would cause the motor to stall.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:07:03 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 09:58:02 AM »
Counterfeit parts is a big problem, it is seen even when traceability is supposed to be assured.  The last line of defense is the mechanic installing the part and it's not flaming anybody to point out substandard quality wherever it is found. It's just one of the economic facts of today's world that it can get to the places and proportions that it does.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here