Author Topic: V85 TT Merged Threadfest  (Read 361958 times)

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V85 TT Merged Threadfest
« Reply #1560 on: March 21, 2019, 10:55:57 AM »
Given that Mr. Arthur Itis is visiting both of my hands and not going anywhere soon I have to be very conscious of clutch effort.  The Stelvio was too much and my V7 III is pushing it.   Once someone gets their hands on one of these, please let us "old man hand types" know what clutch effort is like.

NC

That's the only reason i don't have money down on one.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #1561 on: March 21, 2019, 01:13:42 PM »
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #1562 on: March 21, 2019, 03:53:03 PM »
Given that Mr. Arthur Itis is visiting both of my hands and not going anywhere soon I have to be very conscious of clutch effort.  The Stelvio was too much and my V7 III is pushing it.   Once someone gets their hands on one of these, please let us "old man hand types" know what clutch effort is like.

NC

My first road bike's clutch had such a heavy action that I felt obliged to purchase one of those spring loaded hand exercisers for strengthening the appropriate muscle groups.  It helped (sort of).  That was some 40 years ago.  Recently found it when tidying.  I could barely move it!  Just goes to show, unlike some pathetically shameless braggarts on here, for me the older I get the better I once was....

I've fitted Magura hydraulic clutches to a couple of bikes for myself & my daughter.  Expensive, yes, but providing a lovely soft action with relatively effortless pull, progressive take-up zone & tactile feedback.  For me anyway, it's been a viable solution to stiff &/or heavy clutch actuation.

Reviewers have remarked favourably on the V85's light clutch action.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:54:26 PM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1563 on: March 21, 2019, 07:18:12 PM »
The V85 has a very light clutch
lite is in the hands of the ridder. the V7 III is OK for me on a full day of mountain passed but just barley. is it the same or a bit stronger. I'm hopping with the extra torque I might not need to shift as much as on the V7. 
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #1563 on: March 21, 2019, 07:18:12 PM »

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #1564 on: March 21, 2019, 07:25:06 PM »
I have no doubt there are plenty of members here who mistrust fuel injection and who won’t buy a bike unless it has points and carburetors.  For years I refused to buy a bike with ABS, riding modes or traction control.  I ride on gravel all the time and ABS isn’t great in that environment, imho.  However, I’ve come around in the last 3-4 years on electronics because after actually TRYING a bike with an electronics package, I found that it enhanced my control of the bike.  The performance envelope expanded.  Both those things were the exact opposite of my decades long, false assumptions. 

This stuff has been around since literbikes went over 130rwhp.    That was a long time ago.  At least 20 years.  Bikes are all about personal preference.  Ride whatever you like but educate yourself.  There’s nothing to be afraid of.

Well said

Two things:-

1) Working on my Stelvio's electronic fuel injection is ridiculously easy. Hex Keys, a Manometer and Guzzidiag, combined with the Pictorials on this blog has my bike burbling along.

2) ABS. I originally pooh poohed the Stelvio's ABS. "I've ridden track bikes, I can brake using two fingers on the front brake, I know what I am doing" ... all of the above until Joe Dingbat got halfway through an intersection and decided to slam the brakes on and turn across the traffic. Slight drizzly rain and slippery roads meant that all I could do was slam the (Front) brake on and hold my breath ....  ABS kicked in and I steered around the trouble and went my merry way. It was only until two intersections later that the adrenaline kicked in and I realized how close I had been to putting the bike down and potentially under ongoing traffic. ABS works !!!!!
Yes I switch it off if I am travelling at speed on gravel roads but I would not buy a bike without it for commuting.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:47:01 PM by Paul Brooking »

Offline Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #1565 on: March 21, 2019, 07:41:37 PM »
Well this is a fine mess.  I got this in the mail today and I don't even own the bike yet.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:46:32 PM by Trialsman »
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline Smithy

• New Egg
« Reply #1566 on: March 22, 2019, 02:03:36 AM »
Whoa Smithy!

76 KTM Jackpiner?   Boss!

Not to highjack the thread but cheers..its a bit two dimensional at the moment as its getting a full birthday. A mate of mine who I would say has Australias largest vinatge KTM (Penton) and SWM collections is giving me a hand to freshen it up.
2021 BMW GS 1250
2015 California Custom - Sold
1976 KTM Jackpiner
1929 Rudge 500

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1567 on: March 22, 2019, 04:17:33 AM »
Well this is a fine mess.  I got this in the mail today and I don't even own the bike yet.

That’s a bit self indulgent, isn’t it...?

Offline Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #1568 on: March 22, 2019, 08:32:24 AM »
Always said I like your style.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline janguzzi

• Gosling
    • My YouTube Channel (Guzzi Content)
« Reply #1569 on: March 22, 2019, 02:58:58 PM »
Here is my V85TT playlist with all relevant videos and reviews (Italian, German, English, French, Dutch, etc.):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3U2TKTfHX8a36xFKB6ZS5nBE_Xbv42m7
Kind Regards
Jan, Schuby (near the Danish Border), Germany
www.janguzzi.de
-1992-2002: 1000S, 2nd Series
-2002-2004: V11 Le Mans "Grigio Titanium"
-2004-2011: V11 Le Mans "Rosso Corsa" & 2008-2011: 950S
-2018-2021: California Vintage
-2011: Griso 8V & 2023: V85 TT "Giallo Mojave"

Lcarlson

« Reply #1571 on: March 23, 2019, 03:25:16 PM »
Here is a fairly lengthy review of the V85 TT

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2020-moto-guzzi-v85-tt-first-ride-motorcycle-review?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=03/23/2019_CT&utm_term=Common%20Tread%20%7C%20Combined

I’d say that’s a pretty damn good review. Reliability is always something of an unknown with a new model, and no doubt there will be some things to sort out, but that review certainly wouldn’t discourage me from taking the plunge if I was in the market for another middleweight.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1572 on: March 23, 2019, 11:51:32 PM »
I think the Revzilla write up is spot on at pointing out the main issues with the V85TT, both positive and negative.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1573 on: March 24, 2019, 03:54:34 AM »
The mode button thing got me a bit, but I’ll select “road” and never alter it anyway.
Also I think I’ve changed my mind to this one.

can you have 2 car insurance policies

(Will go nicely with the plate..)

Offline grame99

• New Egg
« Reply #1574 on: March 24, 2019, 04:45:05 AM »
I expect the mode button operates similarly to the V9 and V7iii in that you have to keep it pressed to switch modes - i guess it prevents accidental switches.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #1575 on: March 24, 2019, 06:00:28 AM »
I donno, but I thought the RevZilla reviewer was trying way too hard to be clever, but then again I feel that way about almost every reviewer except Sir Alan and Jenny Smith.

Reading RevZilla made me wish Dave Searle was still heading MCN.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #1576 on: March 24, 2019, 08:47:57 AM »
Yes, the Revzilla review was a bit prejudiced against Guzzis and he didn't seem to realize that both the V85 and V9 engines are smallblock derivitives, but he seemed to like it a great deal. Both the gray and the red/white versions are real lookers. I expect the DRL will be absent from US-versions as it is a Euro requirement.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1577 on: March 24, 2019, 11:15:43 AM »
Here is a fairly lengthy review of the V85 TT

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2020-moto-guzzi-v85-tt-first-ride-motorcycle-review?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=03/23/2019_CT&utm_term=Common%20Tread%20%7C%20Combined

He quotes The Princess Bride?  Huh? 
He mentions the press ride was follow by a mechanic ... did any of those mechanics need to fix anything on the 7 hour ride on any bike? 
He can't figure out how to press the starter button properly to get into different ride modes?

This guy should not be allowed to ride a Moto Guzzi!   :grin:   He should only ride Hondas. 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:16:09 AM by usedtobefast »
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1578 on: March 24, 2019, 11:20:43 AM »
He quotes The Princess Bride?  Huh? 
He mentions the press ride was follow by a mechanic ... did any of those mechanics need to fix anything on the 7 hour ride on any bike? 
He can't figure out how to press the starter button properly to get into different ride modes?

This guy should not be allowed to ride a Moto Guzzi!   :grin:   He should only ride Hondas.
I don’t care if he can’t figure it out, as long as I can..!
Do love the sound when working a bit and it looks comfortable.
I’m looking forward to trying to wear it out.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1579 on: March 24, 2019, 11:22:09 AM »
I don’t care if he can’t figure it out, as long as I can..!
Do love the sound when working a bit and it looks comfortable.
I’m looking forward to trying to wear it out.

:thumb:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline pmillar

• Gosling
« Reply #1580 on: March 24, 2019, 01:11:06 PM »
...Reading RevZilla made me wish Dave Searle was still heading MCN.

You and me both.  I am letting my subscription expire after 29 years. The recent MCN issue with contributions from former writers/editors got my hopes up, but it's since regressed back to the post Dave Searle mediocrity.
Ann Arbor, MI
'73 Eldorado
'97 TL1000S
'00 TTR250

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #1581 on: March 24, 2019, 05:42:15 PM »
I agree 100%  Hindengorf or whatever his name is has ruined MCN.  I have several years left so I'll keep it but I almost only read Glen Keer.
The reviews for bikes are rubbish.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1582 on: March 24, 2019, 05:49:10 PM »
I’m the same with Penthouse
I only buy it for the articles... :rolleyes: :wink:

Offline Ironman

• New Egg
« Reply #1583 on: March 26, 2019, 08:18:43 AM »
Keeping us waiting for the V85TT...I feel like a kid in November.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1584 on: March 26, 2019, 09:00:44 AM »
My stepson is VERY keen that I get a V85 so that I can go up in the hills with him on his KTM 300

So much so that he "suggested" that my wife take me on a day trip to see one at our local dealer

The bad news was that we passed it on the way as it went out on a test ride so I didn't get to see it!

Watch this space - the Big Breva might be moved along at some point
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1585 on: March 26, 2019, 10:08:24 AM »
Keeping us waiting for the V85TT...I feel like a kid in November.

Welcome.  You looking to buy from Sloans in Murfreesboro?  Bought my V7III Carbon their this past summer.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Moz

• Gosling
« Reply #1586 on: March 26, 2019, 09:18:17 PM »
http://www.guzzistelvio.net/V85ttdoc/v85TTdescr.pdf

Seems to be an internal Piaggio marketing document  :wink:

these parts are interesting..

Seems to fit right in the 'Goldilocks' range - at least fer me  :wink:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:28:28 PM by Moz »
'82 le mans iii
'08 cafe's bellagio
'20 V85TT

Offline Moz

• Gosling
« Reply #1587 on: March 26, 2019, 10:31:05 PM »
And not a suspender in sight?!?   :wink:

translation:

Anyone with a V85TT wants to be noticed. He is a motorcyclist who has a story to tell and he does it through a bike that, at first glance, evokes the pleasure of adventure, travel, and the desire to explore. This type of vehicle is designed to meet the needs of two different types of customers:

• One is the mature motorcyclist who is looking for a motorcycle with modern technological contents but which stylistically wants a vehicle that invokes the classic Enduro of the 80s.
• A young and eager adventurer who wants a simple and easy-to-ride motorcycle but is not willing to give up on style. Distinguishing and identifying oneself through the original and authentic style of one's motorcycle is fundamental for this type of customer.

For both it is essential to have a bike that is easy to drive on city routes and on outings, a practice that should be noted for its style. A journey made of passion, for a bike as unique as the personality of the person who chooses it and the guide.

The beard:
"I would like a bike that is simple to drive, practical, that satisfies my desire for adventure both in the city and on trips out of town. With an authentic look that stands out in the motorcycle scene. I want a bike that expresses authenticity of the history and tradition of the brand through its lines.
It must have modern technological contents with the evocative style of the classic 80's enduro."

The dude:
"I would like a bike that is the perfect travel companion for use in the city or outside the city, that meets my desire for adventure and that immediately stands out for its style. A classic / vintage look that communicates authenticity, a symbol of my personality and of what I want. It must have a refined style that does not go unnoticed associated with functionality and practicality, simple to drive and comfortable."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:36:41 PM by Moz »
'82 le mans iii
'08 cafe's bellagio
'20 V85TT

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #1588 on: March 27, 2019, 04:45:47 AM »
I thing Piaggio marketing hasn't profiled me at all.  But it's just marketing speak, I suppose.  What they say, and what they actually mean, can be often diametrically opposed.  It's a great, simple, uncomplicated tourer.  It has a smattering of safety-oriented acceptably modern tech without going over the top.  It's pleasantly and in this day and age quite rarely simple & uncomplicated too.  Just how I like it.  It has some pretty good bits, plus a few extra essentials too.  Accessories seem to cover a wide range of lifestyle and user roles too.  One might call it crude, I call it simple.  You could reasonably describe it as primitive too.  It's a Guzzi.  What else would you expect?  It's the very antithesis of highly strung.  More raw & a mite uncouth.  Fantastic.

The V85 is for me the most appealing bike they've made for a long, long time.  The big 'uns are for me just too big (read heavy).  Even for a Guzzi, one of the few bike designs that remains capable of 'hiding' a substantial proportion of perceived mass through the longitudinal Vee layout.  From my experience Guzzis tend to feel lighter than they are in reality.  Except the Stelvio.  Fantastic bike, but just too big, heavy and when laden for tour possibly terrifyingly top-heavy too for my old bones.  Only ever ridden one unladen, but it still gives me that impression.  By all means convince me otherwise.

I too believe the new one hits a particularly appealing sweet spot.  (Relatively) light, but sufficiently 'big' to be comfortable.  This is becoming of vital importance for me as I age.  Also sufficiently large and of sufficient, but not excessive weight to capably & comfortably tour well-laden.  Great touring range too (450 safe Km).  The most disappointing aspects of the bike; its tubed tyres and lack of power, are in the 1st. inst. easily & inexpensively remedied, and in the 2nd. in the main I suspect compensated by a particularly flat torque curve, and the pressing reality that I'm now so far removed from my irresponsible teenage years and the realisation that mortality is now an inevitability rather than a far-off eventuality best ignored.  Time for a more reasonable & sedate lifestyle befitting my seniority and responsibilities as both parent & pending grandfather.  Boring?  Maybe.  Sensible; in a bad way, probably.  So what?  Naff off.  It's my life anyway.  I just want to enjoy what remains with my less mature desires for hedonistic enjoyment tempered by the more pressing requirements of longevity & health considerations.

OK.  The V85 is ugly.  In some iterations downright gaudy too.  In the 5 colour & 4 colour 'rainbow flag' versions that visually & almost viscerally assault my innate aesthetic conservatism almost hideous, in fact.  The more I see of that Big MacDonalds Yellow-base one especially the more jarring the discordance of colour becomes.  Thank God there's some toned-down versions too.  3 tone Steel Blue/Black/Silver & the bright but far less jarring or contrasty Red/Black/Silver, in a particularly (slightly unsure here as I've only seen electronic representations of the colour) pretty redder-than-Red-but-not Pillarbox-, Ferrari- or Fire Engine- either.  Then there's the conservative, boring but to my sensibilities classy Grey on Black with Silver.  Just lovely.  I suspect a keeper, in fact.  Probably one of the most attractively ugly bikes available since the demise of the Nuda.  Which is incidentally another benchmark of motorcycle grotesquery.  More than compensated for, it must be said, by being the most fun short-distance ride I've yet to experience away from a full-on big-arse powerful dirt machine.

Ugly is a good thing anyway.  A original, proper Audi Quattro Coupe is ugly.  An English (proper) Bull Terrier is ugly.  Modernist, and especially Brutalist building styles are unashamedly & innately ugly too.  Yet at the same time possessed of a fairly timeless intrinsic beauty that seems to improve with age.  In fact, the exact opposite of me!  It's ugly, but good.  I'm ugly & occasionally pretty useful (but never, ever usefully pretty) too.  Serendipity.  It's a match made in heaven!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:51:50 AM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1589 on: March 27, 2019, 09:54:35 AM »
So I assume when the fancy TFT display goes kaput the bike will not run, that correct? 

So 10 years from now, TFT goes kaput, you buy a new one?  15 years from now?  20? 

Be interesting to see the list price of that. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here