Author Topic: Polaris Slingshot merged threadfest  (Read 33694 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Polaris Slingshot merged threadfest
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2014, 01:24:34 PM »
Is that a *Gumby* doll on the front  ??? ;D

Dusty

That's the back, and no.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2015, 10:56:12 PM »
There is a pending bill in the NCGA to reclassify these things so that they are neither Motos or cars..  A new class, but has to be enclosed (not fully~ no windows req'd) and the driver has to sit 'in' it not 'astride' it

They are also about to sink the scooter option here.. As everything 50cc up will end up requiring plates & insurance & there is talk of ~no licensee requirement~ BUT you can't drive one if your license has been taken or suspended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

56Pan

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2015, 11:22:21 PM »
There is a pending bill in the NCGA to reclassify these things so that they are neither Motos or cars..  A new class, but has to be enclosed (not fully~ no windows req'd) and the driver has to sit 'in' it not 'astride' it

They are also about to sink the scooter option here.. As everything 50cc up will end up requiring plates & insurance & there is talk of ~no licensee requirement~ BUT you can't drive one if your license has been taken or suspended

"BUT you can't drive one if your license has been taken or suspended".  Uh oh.  No more whiskey-cycles in NC.  At least it could get them to work when they were sober.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2015, 11:26:09 PM »

"BUT you can't drive one if your license has been taken or suspended".  Uh oh.  No more whiskey-cycles in NC.  At least it could get them to work when they were sober.

That's what makes it maddening... Many of these ppl are riding a moped not because they want to but because there is no other option. I agree drunk driving is horrible.. But once you got a guy busted down to riding a moped 25min each way in freezing rain; just to get to work... And you take that ability away... It starts seeming like cruel & unusual to me. IMHO will only encourage them to drive cars illegally.

Ok sorry thread jack over, slingshots look cool & fun

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2015, 11:26:09 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2015, 05:01:54 AM »
That's what makes it maddening... Many of these ppl are riding a moped not because they want to but because there is no other option. I agree drunk driving is horrible.. But once you got a guy busted down to riding a moped 25min each way in freezing rain; just to get to work... And you take that ability away... It starts seeming like cruel & unusual to me. IMHO will only encourage them to drive cars illegally.

Ok sorry thread jack over, slingshots look cool & fun

He probably will drive illegally.  That's what he was doing when they took his license -- why should having it revoked make any difference?  As far as cruel and unusual -- are you arguing that people aren't aware of dui laws and consequences?  A drunken sot behind the wheel is an innocent victim of the system?

On topic -- I think the slingshots and other side-by-side vehicles do need their own designation.  Slingshot is one of the first of this concept.  I predict there will be a thriving industry in pseudo-cars by the time my grandson is driving.  They're neither fish nor fowl to the DMV and they need an identity.

redrider

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2015, 06:22:36 AM »
I agree with Texas-these vehicles are not motorcycles. Just as trike conversions, sidecars, out rigger wheel kits and the Spyder should not be. A motorcycle is a motorized bicycle. Two wheels, single track. Anything else needs another classification and skill set. And Insurance.

There is also an effort to ban mopeds here in SC. I hope it passes. We need to get these people out of the public eye. It's so cruel to be seen on one of them. Might as well have "LOSER" tattooed on the forehead. Being laughed at and ridiculed just isn't fair.

Miss anything?

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2015, 06:26:47 AM »
Get a DUI in Kansas and you can't even ride a moped during the suspension period.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2015, 06:28:31 AM »
For anyone else like me that had no clue what a Slingshot was!
http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot

JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2015, 06:52:30 AM »

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

dilligaf

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2015, 07:03:40 AM »
Redrider posted: "There is also an effort to ban mopeds here in SC. I hope it passes"
 By who?    ???   :BEER:
Matt

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2015, 07:04:09 AM »
Saw them at the MC Show in Cleveland this weekend.  Interesting vehicles, a lot of "transformer" styling in that thing.  I think it would be hard to miss potholes with those wide tires and three tracks - and we sure have a lot of those in Ohio.  They are not my cup of tea, but hope the manufacturer sells a bundle of them they look sort of neat.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline beardog

• Gosling
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2015, 07:12:08 AM »
 I have considered one I never want to hurt anyone on a motorcyle and since my accident I am not sure about my balance. I still ride myself but to take anyone on a ride is not going to hapen at this time. So for a lady friend going for a ride this would be a good option. Indiana has not allowed them yet time will tell.
ride whenever you can
2003 stone� 
2008 1200 sport
2012 Yamaha super tenere
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
2020 v85 tt
2005 Yamaha fjr
2017 Motus mst
2008 ktm super duke

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2015, 07:27:31 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuXWHGEBPT0

^^^ There's a really fun comparison of 3 different types of the same thing all pitted against eachother. The Slingshot seems fun in concept but it doesn't drive particularly well and the rear end is fugly: It looks like a rubbermaid bucket with a swingarm sticking out of it.

redrider

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2015, 08:03:53 AM »
Redrider posted: "There is also an effort to ban mopeds here in SC. I hope it passes"
 By who?    ???   :BEER:
Matt
The legislature has a group that cannot stand a moped and was pushing for an outright ban. Noisy crowd but going nowhere IMO. There is a rewrite of the laws underway, if my sources are to be believed. The current "Moped Tag" system controlled by one dealer in Columbia is going away. (Be a member of his association and you get the plates for a small fee-pay through the nose if you are not) The proposal is for 49cc or less, operators permit and liability insurance. Tags come from the DMV, not WW. As always, enforcement will be sketchy. Ask 5 cops about the rules and get 10 different opinions of understanding. Example-moped speed limit is 25 while top speed is supposed to be 30.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2015, 08:15:13 AM »
He probably will drive illegally.  That's what he was doing when they took his license -- why should having it revoked make any difference?  As far as cruel and unusual -- are you arguing that people aren't aware of dui laws and consequences?  A drunken sot behind the wheel is an innocent victim of the system?

On topic -- I think the slingshots and other side-by-side vehicles do need their own designation.  Slingshot is one of the first of this concept.  I predict there will be a thriving industry in pseudo-cars by the time my grandson is driving.  They're neither fish nor fowl to the DMV and they need an identity.

Oh yes people are aware and the penalty is stiff for a damn good reason...

But in a state where only a fraction of the population has access to public transpo...  taking away the moped is just a further measure to marginalize people..  I'd much rather have a drunk with no licsence actually go to work, pay their fines, and struggle with the moped...  Than to have a drunk lose their job, end up MY responsibility when he goes to jail for missing probation payments!  Or worse yet, have him driving a car around!

56Pan

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2015, 08:28:27 AM »

But in a state where only a fraction of the population has access to public transpo...  taking away the moped is just a further measure to marginalize people..  I'd much rather have a drunk with no licsence actually go to work, pay their fines, and struggle with the moped...  Than to have a drunk lose their job, end up MY responsibility when he goes to jail for missing probation payments!  Or worse yet, have him driving a car around!

:+1

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2015, 10:05:15 AM »
Around here mopeds are the province of youngsters who find them cool. Actually, that sort of makes them cool.
DUI guys ride bicycles here. Often you can tell, they are the guys on a mountain bike wearing work boots and Carhartts. Of course, sometimes I wear that too.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2015, 10:34:58 AM »

this
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

canuck750

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »
Saw o ne of these at the Bike Show a couple weeks back, it's big, too big in my opinion, costs a pretty penny and the styling is not to my taste.

IMHO if you want side by side open air touring get a Miata, its probably twice the vehicle and you won't get wet.

PS, my wife had a Miata (2005) for 4 years, fantastic little car, and it was surprisingly a great winter car.

dilligaf

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2015, 10:54:29 AM »
Saw o ne of these at the Bike Show a couple weeks back, it's big, too big in my opinion, costs a pretty penny and the styling is not to my taste.

IMHO if you want side by side open air touring get a Miata, its probably twice the vehicle and you won't get wet.

PS, my wife had a Miata (2005) for 4 years, fantastic little car, and it was surprisingly a great winter car.

I am starting to experience difficulty getting onto and off of my motorcycles so I purchased a 2010 for transportation. Never seen a Slingshot but I have a felling I would also prefer the Miata.  ;D

:BEER:
Matt

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2015, 11:04:57 AM »
getting away from the social commentary, I was able to sit in one at the Cycle World Pukefest. 

I can see it as a modern Lotus 7.  I'd like to see one of those with 4 wheels instead of three wheels and the belt driven rear.  So my prescription: sell it for $15k, put 4 wheels on it, and up the HP. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2015, 11:12:15 AM »
not directly related to the main topic,,,,,,

...if a license isn't required to operate a scooter, moped, radio flyer red wagon, how can "they" prohibit the operation of the device if your license is suspended or revoked?
You are operating a device that does not require a license.  If that makes sense, then perhaps "they" shouldn't ride bicycles or skateboards either.

I dunno, sometimes I just scratch my head.   ::)

See ya, I'm going back to the shop.

Apparently there is some kind of sport ball game on T.V. today....... ;D
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline lc4dakar

• Hatchling
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2015, 10:28:34 AM »
If you want 4 wheels and cheaper:

1983 V50 III (being cafe'd)
1983 Lemans 3
2007 KTM 525 EXC
1953 Matchless G80C
1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)

Offline lc4dakar

• Hatchling
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2015, 10:30:17 AM »
Or if you're happy with 3 wheels:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:31:10 AM by lc4dakar »
1983 Lemans 3
2007 KTM 525 EXC
1953 Matchless G80C

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2015, 11:57:37 AM »
not directly related to the main topic,,,,,,

...if a license isn't required to operate a scooter, moped, radio flyer red wagon, how can "they" prohibit the operation of the device if your license is suspended or revoked?
You are operating a device that does not require a license.  If that makes sense, then perhaps "they" shouldn't ride bicycles or skateboards either.

They can restrict you from operating any motorized vehicle upon a public roadway.  That's how.

Many States have done that in order to get rid of the "DWI Loophole" and Liquorcycles.

Stupid, if you ask me,  but States are doing it.  Then, people with suspended or revoked drivers licenses are relegated to bicycles or driving cars illegally.  Guess which one they do?

*In Arkansas, operating anything with an engine on public roadways DURING A DWI License Suspension = 10 days jail. (if you're caught, of course).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:05:19 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

dilligaf

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »
It's like they are getting away with something and need to be punished more.  ::(  :BEER:
Matt

PS:  Redrider-My son verified that the bill to ban mopeds in SC was the work of one person and is going no place.  ;-T

Penderic

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2015, 01:57:28 PM »
If you are skinny and still flexible, this one looks really, .... err, fun!

8)

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »
Or if you're happy with 3 wheels

What difference does it make?  Is there some significant attraction to 3 wheels, or is this a difference without much real difference?  I mean, sure could be a little more likely to flip over in a turn, but I'm not going to call that an attraction.

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2015, 02:51:06 PM »
I wonder....

If states get to reclassifying items like this - where does one stand (sit?) with regards to helmet laws.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline lc4dakar

• Hatchling
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »
What difference does it make?  Is there some significant attraction to 3 wheels, or is this a difference without much real difference?  I mean, sure could be a little more likely to flip over in a turn, but I'm not going to call that an attraction.

Differences:
Weight:  lighter than 4 wheels
Operating costs:  1 less tire to replace!
Registration:  3 wheels are cycles in some jurisdictions, so less taxes and registration costs
Different from everything else:  this is a Guzzi forum, need I explain?   ;D

Note:  I have a book with a picture of a Morgan 3-wheeler racing in the 1930's.  The driver is using his hand to push the car back down while going around a curve.  Morgan racers back then wore a heavy glove on the off-side hand just for that purpose  :o

:beat_horse
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:11:59 PM by lc4dakar »
1983 Lemans 3
2007 KTM 525 EXC
1953 Matchless G80C

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here