Author Topic: 2010 Stelvio 8v NTX ABS - Engine Rattle  (Read 11398 times)

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2010 Stelvio 8v NTX ABS - Engine Rattle
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2016, 08:25:07 AM »
I know for a fact that Jude likes Margaritas , and if you offer Pete bud or miller he will most likely say things in Ozzie re your ancestry...

Dustyy

When Pete and Jude visited Singapore in 2012, I suggested to have some light snacks after visiting the sky park.

Pete seems lost but I can sense the reluctance from Jude's expression.

Due of my bad accent, Jude thought that I was offering them 'live snakes'  :grin:
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 08:30:54 AM »
When Pete and Jude visited Singapore in 2012, I suggested to have some light snacks after visiting the sky park.

Pete seems lost but I can sense the reluctance from Jude's expression.

Due of my bad accent, Jude thought that I was offering them 'live snakes'  :grin:

That's funny !

Dusty

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 09:01:10 AM »
Rattle in the Stevio?

Bad Lifters?

Maybe but maybe not.

Could be something else making the noise.  OP says it has been there since day 1 and the valve lash has been ok.

Maybe the clutch mechanism?

I cannot say. Not arguing the benefits of roller lifters but that may not be the source of this noise.

My advice is to have someone competent check the lifters and go from there. I agree with that!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:00:51 AM by leafman60 »

pete roper

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2016, 11:27:52 AM »
It may not. But given the year, the mileage etc it's by far the most likely culprit. Clutches are generally robust. Only one smallish batch in 2012 had problems with the friction plates and they were few and far between.

Sad fact is all flatties are doomed. End of story. The Clearances don't change until the damage is well advanced.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2016, 11:27:52 AM »

pete roper

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2016, 11:30:59 AM »
 :violent1:
Bleary-eyed I get up and read WG before coffee.  Did I just read that Pete from Oz is going to fix a lister's 8v in France?? 

Tales of SuperWrench
Flying across the seas
To fix the
Forlorn's Guzzis

No, just an offer to diagnose. Seems the OP has runn'doff.

Offline Jerdo1

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2016, 02:36:57 PM »
Pete,

Wow - It'd be fantastic if you could give me an expert's diagnosis !

Apologies for my apparent desertion - swimming pool duties have kept me busy all day today.
I'm in a village called Puy L'Eveque - in the south west of France, about 15 miles from Cahors - the home of the Malbec grape.  If it's wine and food you're after - come on down - I'm buying!.
As for tools - I have none - there is little point in travelling with a box of things that I can't spell, let alone use.  That said, I have access to a very friendly garage owner who, if you tell me what you need, I'm sure will loan me?
I'm here until 17 September and, save for an elderly mother and aunt visiting from 3-10th, I'm here when you need me.  I've also got spare accommodation if you want to spend a day or two to explore what's around here?

I don't know what the rules are regarding e-mailing or calls but I can send you one, containing the other and we could chat in more detail?

Thanks again for the REALLY generous offer !

Jerry

pete roper

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2016, 02:59:43 PM »
Email me.

motomoda.roper [at] gmail.com and I'll see what we can do. Depending on where you are, (I'll google it.) if I can swing it I will. If that happens it might be good to see if your local car place could give us an hour in a corner of his shop. I know what tools I'll need but if anything goes awry it helps if there is a full toolbox nearby. If that isn't possible I can list what I'll need, it isn't much.

Pete
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:42:20 PM by pete roper »

Offline Jerdo1

• New Egg
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2016, 04:31:51 PM »
Email me.

motomoda.roper [at] gmail.com and I'll see what we can do. Depending on where you are, (I'll google it.) if I can swing it I will. If that happens it might be good to see if your local car place could give us an hour in a corner of his shop. I know what tools I'll need but if anything goes awry it helps if there is a full toolbox nearby. If that isn't possible I can list what I'll need, it isn't much.

Pete

Great. 

Have a look at the map and see if it's possible - and I'll try not to get too excited - just in case it's off your route.

My garage guy might be a bit precious about the space - cos it's not his garage - but I don't see the tools being an issue.

Jerry

oldbike54

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »
 Jerry , tell your friend that Pete is a World Famous Guzzi mechanic . Like having Jack Brabham grace his shop . Seriously .

Dusty

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2016, 06:38:25 PM »
The Cahor region has WONDERFUL food...

pete roper

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2016, 09:23:03 PM »
Jerry , tell your friend that Pete is a World Famous Guzzi mechanic . Like having Jack Brabham grace his shop . Seriously .

Dusty

Bullshit. I'm just a tradesman who knows his trade.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2016, 09:46:05 PM »
Pete deserves commendation for his generous offer of help here.

It's above and beyond the call of duty.

pete roper

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2016, 09:52:53 PM »
If I'm in the area, why not? As I've stressed before pulling a cambox is NOT the toughest job in the world. Depending on where he takes the bike in the UK he may well get the bum's rush or be told the tappets were loose and they've been adjusted and it's all good now. If we get some pics of damage at least there will be something to show the shop.

Pete

oldbike54

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2016, 10:02:02 PM »
Bullshit. I'm just a tradesman who knows his trade.

Do you know how rare that is ?? Hell , Jack Brabham , Bruce Mclaren , and Colin Chapman were just hot rodders that were very determined .

Dusty

pete roper

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2016, 02:15:36 AM »
OK, looks like this is easy enough. It'll fit in quite nicely. We're staying with friends in Faye la Vineuese just south of Tours, looks like you're about five hours south, if you can tell us an enchanting route that would be great. From your place it's only a couple more hours to Entraygues sur Truyere where some of my mad relatives have a holiday hovel.

We'll be there probably September the first. I'll email you WRT what tools I'll need, it isn't a lot to get the LH cambox off.

Pete

PS. Jude's just looking the place up. Looks like all there is to do is drink plonk and stuff one's face! How awful! :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:17:28 AM by pete roper »

Offline Jerdo1

• New Egg
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2016, 02:43:56 AM »
Excellent !

Jerry

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2016, 06:47:46 AM »
What the hell?!

"I'll meet you in the south of France and take a look at your Guzzi."

Wow.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2016, 06:53:45 AM »
I bet ya don't find anything like this on Honda forums.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

pete roper

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2016, 08:25:09 AM »
Really, I don't see what the big deal is??? I went to California once to rebuild a bloke's Convert on a promise. Got royally stiffed on that one, as did a host o other good Guzzi folks but given whose 'Mate' it was its unsurprising with hindsight.

Pulling a cambox off a Stelvio for some poor sod to ensure he doesn't get rolled, (Unintended, ironic, pun!) by a dealer who doesn't know or the Piaggio behemoth is scarcely arduous and I'm going to be in the area. Having a 'Local' to tell us where the best wine and scoff is is a real BONUS for us.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it! :boozing:

Pete

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2016, 08:52:39 AM »
I bet ya don't find anything like this on Honda forums.

That is because Honda's never break and are perfect.
I know this, because a Honda Goldwing rider told me so. He told me this, while he was sitting in my garage. He had driven an SUV to my house, because his Goldwing was broken. But never mind that, they are perfect.

de·lu·sion.
[dəˈlo͞oZHən]
NOUN
1.an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2016, 08:55:58 AM »
PS. Jude's just looking the place up. Looks like all there is to do is drink plonk and stuff one's face! How awful! :D

Sounds like you will be busy....... :boozing:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

pete roper

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2016, 10:41:45 AM »
OK, hiccup n this. OP's local tool source is on holiday! (France it seems, like Italy, is frustratingly civilized!). This means tools may be a problem. Do we have any French members with reasonable tools within an hour or two of his location?

This is all that is basically required.

1/2 inch square drive ratchet and a breaker bar with a 24mm socket.

Set of high quality, accurately made, metric Allen keys.

Preferably a 1/4 inch square drive ratchet with a 4mm short Allen key socket.

1/4 inch square drive extension and an 8mm 1/4 drive socket.

A long, thin, flat bladed screwdriver say 300-350mm long with a shaft 6 or so mm wide.

A 10mm socket in 1/2 inch drive. It helps a lot if this is a single hex, (6 point.) type.

A 15mm 1/2 inch square drive socket.

Some sort of prong to hold back the tensioner blade. Even a nail is good enough! It has to be about 50mm long and no wider than 3.5mm

A couple of cable ties.

That's it.

Pete

Offline Jerdo1

• New Egg
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »
Pete

'Can't even begin to think of anyone here (other than my absent friend) who would have or loan me the tools - no matter how rudimentary. I've tasked my brother in law with locating some back home - but the cost of bringing them back here, if he does, seems to outweigh the benefits.
I have deliberately stayed clear of the expat community in these parts - for no particular reason other than I wanted to live the French life. There is a British couple who do motorcycle tours / b&b in a village not too far away. I'll try and make contact with them and extend the hand of friendship / brass neck , and see if they can help a fellow biker in need.
Worst case, as I say, is I trailer the bike home and tell my mechanic what the consensus is. You may know him - Mel Robinson (he used to have a Moto Guzzi dealership - Scotia Bikes I think?) Until a few years ago ?
In the meantime I'll keep trying - do you have a cut off date you'd need to know by?. Obviously (and seriously) the offer of lunch and / or an overnighter still stands whatever...
The road here from Tours is mostly D and N roads - great surfaces and well engineered. The road from here to your relatives is fabulous and can take you through some of the best twisties you'll ever ride.

I'll let you know how I do

Jerry

Offline Jerdo1

• New Egg
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2016, 11:38:13 AM »
Pete,

I've sent an email to Caday Rouge Motorcycle Tours which is a village about 10 miles away and await their reply.  Hopefully your kindness is infectious?

Jerry

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »
Maybe tools are easier to come by in the states ...but I think I would go buy what Pete needs and be happy to have them join my assemblage....

Mark

Offline Jerdo1

• New Egg
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2016, 02:59:51 PM »
Maybe tools are easier to come by in the states ...but I think I would go buy what Pete needs and be happy to have them join my assemblage....

Mark

Mark,

At the risk of conforming to the Scottish stereotype of being "tight-arsed", I think most people in my position would (and will) gratefully take advantage of the kind offer made by Pete. Unless I have misunderstood him, he is doing this to, in the long run, save me money, by not going to unnecessary additional expense having the problem identified at a dealership or elsewhere.

He is offering his skills and expertise for free - yet you suggest I go out and buy a set of tools that I will NEVER use again in "...and be happy to have them join my assemblage" ??!!. 

Whilst your opinion is your entitlement and your suggestion is duly noted, I will, on this occasion anyways, choose not to follow either and, instead, continue to endeavour to secure the tools on a 'loan' basis, should that be possible, and perhaps save that money for the inevitable hefty bill that awaits me on my return to the UK.

Jerry

Offline Jerdo1

• New Egg
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2016, 04:59:53 AM »
Great News!

I have just spoken to Trevor from cadayrougemotorcycl etours.com (check out the site - it looks fabulous).  He has, incredibly, offered Pete / me the use of not only his extensive tool-kit - but has even suggested we can do the work in his barn?.

I'm meeting him this week to introduce myself and confirm dates etc.

Fantastic

Jerry

"I Have Always Depended on the Kindness of Strangers" - it seldom lets me down.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2016, 10:29:14 AM »
"I Have Always Depended on the Kindness of Strangers" - it seldom lets me down.

Hmmm, I have a Mr. Nevada T shirt with that on it..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

pete roper

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2016, 03:17:35 PM »
Can we fix it?

No it's 'Rhymes with Duck'ed'

Unfortunately exactly as predicted.......

It'll be going back to Bonnie Scotland on a trailer.

Pete

oldbike54

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2016, 03:35:56 PM »
Can we fix it?

No it's 'Rhymes with Duck'ed'

Unfortunately exactly as predicted.......

It'll be going back to Bonnie Scotland on a trailer.

Pete

Truly unfortunate , is the engine completely ruined ?

Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here