Author Topic: Let’s talk about insulated gloves- non heated  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
Let’s talk about insulated gloves- non heated
« on: November 13, 2022, 10:09:10 PM »
So I’m an aerostich fan boy for sure. Darien jacket and pants and their Elkskin gloves. I’ve always wanted the insulated merino wool gauntlets. They are never in stock. I’m on a waiting list for when they get some in.  Anyway someone gave me some lightly insulated Olympia gloves. Rode today in the high 40’s and was pretty comfy. I’m thinking about trying some aerostich silk glove liners in those gloves. Silk liner Reviews are pretty good. Any input on the silk liners?  Another option is these new Olympia weatherking touch II gloves. Supposedly their  warmest gloves. They’re top of the line for 100.00.   I just need to be able to ride in the 30’s
1994 California 1100

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Let’s talk about insulated gloves- non heated
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 10:10:26 PM »
I like the hippo hands idea but I don’t have handguards on my 94 california
1994 California 1100

Offline DesertPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 11:00:55 PM »
If you can scroonch some ordinary garden variety Black Diamond glove liners inside, you might give them a try.  They're tough, inexpensive, should fit well, and might be enough.

Online Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 05:05:01 AM »
I’ve always wanted the insulated merino wool gauntlets.

THIS!   :grin: I covet a pair of them, too!

That said, I've used silk liners, various mittens, insulated gloves, hippo hands,
and heated grips over the years.

Silk glove liners help, but not as much as I'd hoped.

I like heated grips! I'm currently running them on my Triumph Trophy and they
work pretty well down into the 20s with some Thinsulate insulated deerskin gauntlets.
The fairing on that bike keeps the wind off the hands pretty well.

Keeping wind off the hands is a big help. I had some snowmobile muffs, (like hippo hands)
on my old XS750 one year. I folded up/bent a wire coat hanger and hose clamped that to
the bars to keep the muffs off of the levers. Worked pretty well, and my hands WERE warm.

My next project on the KLR is to put heated grips AND hippo hands on. I hope to get to that
this fall.  We'll see......

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 05:05:01 AM »

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 05:21:08 AM »
Try army surplus store, I picked up a pair of wool liners that seem to work well, the hippos are a great way to go, I had a pair of atv guards that needed a little bit of coaxing to work and were a little bulky but worked just as good and were only about 30 bucks. (Guzzi content) :boozing:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 06:05:12 AM »
After decades of pneumatic hammer use, my hands are very sensitive to cold.  I’m generally a huge silk fan.  A silk av scarf, silk shell jacket, etc have been my go-to extra motorcycle gear for years. 

But I’ve been disappointed with the silk glove liners I try.  Regular tight weave silk, like a jacket or shirt or scarf, is windproof.  That makes it very good to insulate close to skin.  But gear like long underwear and Gloves and socks stretch, so most of the benefit silk offers are lost through the open structure.  Maybe they are better silk gloves or liners out there.  I haven’t found they yet.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 06:44:49 AM »
NO, this is not off topic. If your hands and feet are cold then get an electric vest. Someone with more than an 8th grade education in a one room country school can explain it better than me that if your core is warm the rest off your body will be warm.

The electric vest was probably one of my best investment for m/c riding in weather down to the teens. The electric vest was  valuable asset when I rode a saddle sore 1,000 in Jan.

Tex

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 07:30:57 AM »
Never had much luck with liners. Years ago I picked up some Olympia insulated gloves. Waterproof covering and soft felt like lining that had a slightly loose fit but still allowed a good grip on the controls. When the waterproofing faded and came across at the seems I tried to find another pair as comfortable. Still looking. Most alternatives were too stiff. Forget most ski gloves. You really have to try them on to find out whats going to work for you. Gloves that keep your hands warm when they are open may not work when you wrap them around a pair of grips.

Pete

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 07:52:35 AM »
When it comes to keeping warm the more trapped air the better. Having gloves with loft is better than thinsulate gloves. 

Loft is a measure of the 'fluffiness' of down – or, to be more scientific, the volume taken up by a given weight of down. The higher the loft (or fill power), the more room it takes up and the more efficiently it traps air.

Combine loft with Gore-tex and you have nice winter gloves.

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 07:52:51 AM »
Hippo Hands with every effort to keep out ALL drafts and heated grips and you can ride in your summer gloves at 4°F.
Mine are snowmobile mitts. Stopping all airflow is the big key.
If it's draft free any warm glove will do.
If the grips are heated and mitts draft free you just need gloves for the armor.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 08:19:02 AM »
I've used silk glove liners for at least 20-years.

Winter gloves always seem bulky and uncomfortable.

I use silk liners under the sport bike style gloves I prefer to wear.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 03:56:07 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 08:41:07 AM »
I've used silk clove liners for at least 20-years.

Winter gloves always seem bulky and uncomfortable.

I use silk liners under the sport bike style gloves I prefer to wear.
Does silk seem to work better than wool liners?

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 08:44:32 AM »
I use Aerostich rain mitts over gloves when it's cold. My hands were frostbitten when I was young so I am quite sensitive to cold. Heated grips have not been an effective tool for me.I also have heated gloves and some hippo hand like over the handle bar mitts for really cold stuff. I like and use Olympia lightly insulated gloves for cool weather when I can find them. I have found that sizing is critical, too loose causes bunching and too tight cause lack of circulation, even a little too tight is not good for me. 

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2022, 09:04:58 AM »
Olympia wind-Tex insulated gloves. Snow seal them once a year . 11 years old & still giving yeoman service .

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2022, 09:48:49 AM »
I've tried any insulated glove you can mention, Thinsulate, gore-tex, etc. etc.  At speed my hands would ALWAYS get numb after about an hour.  Finally made the switch to electric heated grips on my "travel" bikes. Got caught out by below freezing temps. too many times...especially when riding out west at high elevations!  Burrrrr!   Kits like the Oxfords are available for any bike.  Then for the really cold stuff I have elec. heated gloves.  I have the wired plug-in ones, which can be a PITA to use, but allow riding all day in below freezing temps, when necessary.  They make the difference between leaving in the morning for a full days riding or sitting around, twiddling you thumbs waiting for the temps to warm up. There are several makers of battery heated gloves which seem to be getting better and better if you only intend to be out in the cold for a few hours. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 09:54:27 AM by Motormike »

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2022, 10:01:29 AM »
Excellent comments fellas.  For now I’m going to try the aerostich silk liners. Work on some temporary easy on/off handguards for hippo hands.  I like that idea!
1994 California 1100

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2022, 10:15:40 AM »
Saturday I went to a ski store and bought a $33 pair of ski gloves that had pockets on the back to put chemical hand warmers in.  I inserted into those pockets some cheap Universal 12V Motorcycle Motorbike Handlebar Warm Heated Grip Kit Pads from E-bay ($8).  I rewired them to have barrel connector sockets that interface with my "Warm and Safe" heated jacket liner. 

Then I went on a ride up the canyon in 22F nightime weather.  It is remarkable how warm my hands were compared with using only the heated handgrips.  My chin was getting frost bite, however.   I'm going back for some neckwear.

First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2022, 02:20:36 PM »
I went to order the silk liners and of course they are on intergalactic backorder with no estimate. So I pulled the trigger on the Olympia weather tech 2 gloves. 100.00 free shipping. Supposedly their best glove.  I’ll have a review when they come in
1994 California 1100

Online jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2022, 02:23:21 PM »
Bought a pair at the Yamaha shop several years back (had a Yami tag also). Even on the coldest morning my hands would sweat after an hour or so; no idea if they are still available??? Had a pair of lined leather I would switch too.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2022, 03:56:37 PM »
Does silk seem to work better than wool liners?

silk is really warm.  especially considering how thin it is.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2022, 04:54:50 PM »
I'm surprised, Aerostitch is asking $22.95 for  silks, AMAZON prices are similar  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2022, 05:20:06 PM »
The Amazon reviews were mixed. One finger longer than it should be etc.  I’m getting tired of amazons quality sometimes
1994 California 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2022, 11:01:14 PM »
Anything to keep the wind off your hands works wonders, ie hippo hands, moose guards or barkbusters.

I have a pair of Tour Master insulated gloves,they were the largest pair I could find locally but they're still too tight a fit over my wired Gerbings gloves.

I think for good insulation and heat retention a nice loose fit is the key, I haven't found the perfect solution yet.

I was out for about 11/2 hr ride today in windy 0 degree C with the glove's power maxed & coat and pants about medium. Without the heat, it wouldn't have been an enjoyable ride. 

fwiw
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2022, 07:57:43 AM »
Any snowmobile rider will tell you "hippo hands" work.

Unless it's cold enough for heated glove liners, which solve all the bulk problems of winter style gloves, the lined Lee Parks offerings work really well.  One of the several gloves that use Outlast, and they have a great liner, too.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2022, 08:27:54 AM »
Saturday I went to a ski store and bought a $33 pair of ski gloves that had pockets on the back to put chemical hand warmers in.
I forgot about those chemical hand warmer packets.  A cheap and easy way to add some heat to your gloves.  I used to toss several into my tank bag back in the day before I discovered electricity.

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2022, 08:45:14 AM »
Black Diamond lobster claws…wish I could copy the foto…keeps your three outside fingers together. Very warm

Aerostitch used to have rain covers shaped like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Q70M4SI/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams#immersive-view_1668523329214
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2022, 09:09:08 AM »
Warmest thing I have is a pair of down mittens. Got them as a kit back in the 70s. Better part of 80 pieces to be sewn together. All sorts of compartments to keep the down evenly distributed. Deerskin palms.

They are the warmest hand coverings I've ever owned. I have ridden with them in extreme circumstances. But they provide no armor. Having experienced a couple of minor falls that tore up armored gloves (and saved my hands) I'm reluctant to ride without hand armor in place.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2022, 05:21:19 PM »
So the Olympia gloves came in. I’m very impressed.  Very well made. Well worth the money. I ordered large per their size chart. Could be a 1/2 size smaller. But the work on the bike as far as controls go. No issues. Very warm btw! Test ride soon.

1994 California 1100

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2022, 03:54:29 PM »
Got to put about 40 miles on the gloves in 40F  weather today.  Fingers and hands warm as kittens! I’m super happy.  The fingers are a bit long but all controls are accessible. Knowing what I know now order a size down from their chart

1994 California 1100

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here