Author Topic: Wildguzzi fun story  (Read 646 times)

Offline ital4me

• New Egg
Wildguzzi fun story
« on: February 25, 2024, 08:34:59 AM »
Just wanted to share a quick WG story. I was stationed in the army in the late 70's at Ft. Wainwright Alaska. Lots of stories there! I used to hang at an eclectic bike shop, Competition Motors. It was there that I caught Italian bike fever. The owner let me ride his 850 LeMans. That is how it all started.I met some fun folks and a few characters there. I left for home in 1980 and never stayed in contact with them. Forty plus years later I have reconnected with a few of them through this chat group. We have shared some old stories. It is like the way back machine, (Anybody remember that?). What a fun thing that was for me. I had always wondered what happened with some of them. I found the Comp shop when I was building a custom Triumph. There was no internet back then and ordering stuff from the lower 48 was problematic. I wound up with nothing I was looking for and received parts for a chopper. Because of the issues of returning the parts I ended up finishing the project. It wasn't easy as most of the parts were crap and didn't fit together. I finished it and received lots of good-natured harassment along the way. As an aside, it almost killed my wife and I. Anyway thanks to Wildguzzi for the connection!

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Wildguzzi fun story
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 09:25:15 AM »
Deb and I stopped there in 77 with a riding buddy on his new 750 triumph who needed some part or service.It was raining and we were camping so Ren,the owner ,let us sleep on the floor of a shed or garage  at his house.The next morning he cooked French toast and big ham steaks.We were riding2 up on a 600 bmw and Ren wanted to sell me a G5 .I had left my 900 Kaw in Prince Rupert to save money on the ferry so had to decline the deal.Really nice guy who also attended HS in Chicago as we had,I was sad to hear from BigJon that Ren had passed a few years ago.Planning on attending probably the last National this year and hope tonshare more of these old stories.

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 09:38:10 AM »
My pops was stationed at Ft Wainwright
Must have been early 70s. Us kids ran all over that place
Use to go out to remote radar sites with my dad, and go in these radar trailers and see all the lights and the GIs manning the console.
Have such good memories of Fairbanks, and caribou sausage
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline ital4me

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 10:55:50 AM »
Hi Tkelly, I'll bet we crossed paths at some point. Thanks for the reply.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 10:55:50 AM »

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 10:32:54 PM »
Never been to Alaska but hope to in the next couple years. I HAVE seen the Wayback Machine in use and learned a great deal as a kid from Mr. Peabody.

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline ital4me

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 08:23:50 AM »
LOL, I was  wondering if anyone would catch that, cool. I hope you get to Alaska some day. We loved it there. We eventually got used to the mosquitoes. If it wasn't for our families being way over here in the northeast, we may have stayed. Oh, I just had to fill my wife in on Clyde Crashcup.

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 01:51:27 PM »
Never been to Alaska but hope to in the next couple years. I HAVE seen the Wayback Machine in use and learned a great deal as a kid from Mr. Peabody.

If you do come up let us know!
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here