Author Topic: V7 Sport Survivor  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
V7 Sport Survivor
« on: May 09, 2023, 01:57:20 PM »
A couple years ago a local motorcycle shop called to tell me a Guzzi V7 Sport had come into their shop for recommissioning. I took a look at the bike, seemed to be mostly original with a repaint of the tank and tool boxes. My advice was for the shop to not start the bike but pull the heads and cylinders and get replacement Giladornio cylinder and piston kits. I suggested pulling the motor and stripping it down, inspecting the oil pump, crank and bearings. At the time the owner was not in a position to go ahead with cylinder replacement (at a minimum) and the bike was returned to the owner.

Fast forward a year and I met up with the owner through our local chapter of the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group and after a lot of discussion the owner agreed to go ahead with inspection of the cylinders to which I agreed to help him with the work for a very minor fee. Life got in the way as it does, and it was not until this week that the V7 Sport made it into my shop (sans tank, tool boxes, seat and rear fender) to pull the heads and cylinders.

Unfortunately Giladorni kits for the V7 Sport are not available so we are going the Millennium (Canadian branch in Winnipeg Manitoba) re-plating route with new rings, and circlips for the gudgeon pins. New gaskets, O rings etc, and after inspecting the heads new valve guides at a minimum.

The owner is not in a position to pull and dismantle the motor so this is a compromise, but IMHO better than doing nothing at all.

The cylinders, rings and pistons actually looked very good but flaking of the bores is evident, unfortunately I did not take pictures.

In any event here are some pictures of the bike, it has been in storage for the past 15 or so years with the current owner and was ridden irregularly by the local previous owner. Apart from non stock rear shock absorbers, a replacement reg/rec and some wiring bodges its in pretty good original shape and will benefit from a good cleaning and polishing of the stainless and chrome. The exhaust is all original and in pretty decent shape with some polishing.

This is a left hand shift bike with the cross over linkage but the left foot rest hanger has the threaded boss for the left hand rear brake earlier style. I suspect it was always a left hand shift bike and the factory just installed the cable operated rear brake hanger until stock of the early bracket was used up.

The plan is to remove the wheels, clean and grease the wheel bearings, inspect the brake shoes and replace if necessary, replace the tires and tubes, clean up the electrical connections and replace all the fluids. Carbs have been thoroughly cleaned and anew battery will be fitted, then hopefully the owner can experience riding this V7 Sport. I will also take a look at the swing arm bearings and will likely dismantle, clean and grease the headstock steering bearings.

Just looking at the Sport on my workbench brings back fond memories of the two I sold.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
Re: V7 Sport Survivor
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 02:29:56 PM »
This is like deja vu all over again…

Except for it being a very nice unrestored bike, this story reads like Round 1 of the rebuild of my V7 Sport.  Really broke, only did what I could afford (which I still couldn’t afford to do..) which in terms of the engine amounted to only servicing the top end. 

Thankfully, when the rest of the engine went really $$$$ unhappy and I was WAY more broke than the first time, a good friend much like you said he would help me for a nominal labor charge to do the labor on the bottom end.   He wanted to play with a V7 Sport engine. He is an awesome friend.

That’s why I harped on Ritchie to not take the short road on his great running but undisturbed V7 Sport.  Seems like he found enough corroborating evidence to support the full rebuild that he’s doing.   

Maybe this owner will get lucky and he won’t have catastrophic issues with the rest of his engine in the reasonably near future like I did.  If the owner wants the btdt spent way more money than I needed to story, he’s welcome to get in touch.

Wish him luck for me.

1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

guido guzzi

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 02:59:58 PM »

This is a left hand shift bike with the cross over linkage but the left foot rest hanger has the threaded boss for the left hand rear brake earlier style. I suspect it was always a left hand shift bike and the factory just installed the cable operated rear brake hanger until stock of the early bracket was used up.

[/quote]

Thank you for the pictures Jim. Always great to see one that's still original.
Agree with you 100% on it leaving the factory as a LH shifter because the rear brake pedal was only used, I believe, on LH Shift V7 Sports, 750 S and S3.   :thumb:

BTW, what finish was used for the curved crossover shift shaft on the RH shift V7 Sport?  Chrome?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 04:04:15 PM by guido guzzi »

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 09:55:08 PM »
I think the cross over linkage is zinc plated.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 09:55:08 PM »

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 05:16:25 AM »
At least this V7 Sport had the luck to make it to the right person.  It's fate could have been dire. 
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

guido guzzi

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 05:38:28 AM »
I think the cross over linkage is zinc plated.

Thank you Jim! :thumb:

Online MattP

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 11:30:04 AM »
Let,s see what the pistons heads ect look like

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 10:54:11 PM »
Let,s see what the pistons heads ect look like

I didn’t take pictures, I think the bikes owner has already shipped the cylinders, pistons and new rings off to Millenium for platting. I cleaned all the parts up in my vapour blast cabinet and the pistons cleaned up very nicely. There was slight and very small pitting in the top surface of the pistons. The piston crowns and backside of the valves were coated with carbon and signs of burnt oil. The intake guides were very worn, the exhaust guides less so but all guides need replacing. There were no signs of ring blow by or scoring of the sides of the pistons. Heads look good, valve seats and valves came out very clean with no signs of cracks or chips, all in good shape. I need to measure valve springs under load on my vice mounted compression tester. Rocker shafts look very good. Head exhaust threads are excellent.
I may remove the con rods to take a look at the bearing shells, but that could lead to surprises the owner doesn’t want to learn about. I am also tempted to pull the timing cover and inspect the oil pump, a slippery slope indeed. I so want to pull the motor and transmission and dive in.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 10:59:51 PM »
I have been going through various components, disassembled, cleaned, coated the alloy and steel with ACF-50 and generally getting rid of all the corrosion on fasteners and alloy, I vapour blasted the whole wheel assembly and polished the rims, for the motor and transmission I used diluted aluminum brightner out on the driveway and high pressures water. Replacing hoses and cleaned up all the wire terminals and replaced botched wires with correct fittings and coloured wire, vapour blasted the fuse box and most of the bolts and nuts. Cleaned the wheel bearings and greased them, brake shoe lining is excellent. Carbs are ultrasonic cleaned and new gaskets and O rings. Took apart the rear brake and shift linkage, cleaned and lubricated.
The owner wanted the frame cleaned up so I degreased the frame and brush painted what I could get to with POR-15 chassis paint. From a couple feet away it looks pretty darn good considering how chipped and ratty it looked.

Very little spent on parts just lots of elbow grease

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2023, 08:13:23 AM »
I was just going to plate the cylinders on mine and ended up blasting and painting the  frame and pulling the crank just for peace of mind. This one looks like a great responsible renewal.  Feel free to “lose” those shark gill mufflers in transit to Cape Cod Jim.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 11:07:32 PM »
I re-glued the original seat fabric to the pan with contact cement, polished the rear fender and powder coated the tail light bracket. Spray painted the CEV tail light body.

The owner had the tool box lids and gas tank repainted, pretty decent paint and decals. I fitted new rubber bumpers for the battery cushions, powder coated the transmission to frame plate and same for the side stand.

Coming together decently, just reworking the front signal lights remains for electrical

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2023, 02:47:15 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2023, 05:43:46 PM »
How can something be so “clean”, yet still have your fingerprints all over it…. :bow:

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2023, 11:05:01 PM »
How can something be so “clean”, yet still have your fingerprints all over it…. :bow:

Ha ha, yep it sure cleans up good. The bike had someone caring for it in the past, the swing arm bearings and pivots have plenty of grease, same for wheel bearings and final drive hub even had a lot of clean grease on it. Cosmetically it was a dog.  I cut off most of the electrical male and female spade connectors and crimped on fresh pieces, I got rid of all the horrible auto parts store blue shielded crimp connectors. Just about every nut and bolt has now been replaced with replated original Italian hardware I had in my stock and the pieces that came off this bike will get replated and added to stock. Distributor went through, points looked great, cleaned and lubed the auto advance, replaced the high tension leads and spark plug boots. The gear box and final drive have been flushed out and the fluid was pretty clean, all good signs. I had spare rubber bumpers and boots to swap out the old cracked pieces.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2023, 09:15:59 PM »
It’s been a while waiting on the cylinders to come back from Millennium’s Canadian shop in Winnipeg but they did a great job matching the existing pistons to the replated cylinder and gapping the new ring sets. I also replaced the valve guides with a new set, honed to fit.

One heads valves lapped in to a liquid tight seal but the other had to be sent out for the seats and valves to be professionally ground. New gaskets and O rings.

All the wire harness components were refreshed with new crimp on terminals, all electrical connections cleaned. Brakes and wheel bearings freshened up, replaced all the breather and fuel hoses. I replaced all the corroded fasteners with stainless or replated original parts. I just need to replace the throttle cables, sync the carbs, adjust the valves and with a new battery I hope it fires up.

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2023, 12:45:20 AM »
Fantastic transformation  :thumb:
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2023, 04:35:21 AM »
Fantastic transformation  :thumb:
I stopped being amazed long ago.. :rolleyes:

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2023, 11:39:40 AM »
That’s a nice looking bike.  One more great job for the portfolio, Jim.   Thanks for the pics.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2023, 10:26:55 PM »
Thanks for the kind words fellas.

The owner is pretty pleased with the result, with the cylinder work, head work, gaskets, o rings, fluids etc I think he is into it for $1200 +/-, not too bad in my opinion.
I hit a snag trying to get it out the door today, the ignition switch is making intermittent contact with battery power to the return wire to the fuse box. I tried some other switches I had in my junk box but it’s still sketchy. I compared the fuse box connections to my 750S and there are some different coloured wires and the connections don’t exactly match. I think a new Greg Bendder wire harness is a good investment and I need to pull the switch apart. I can jump the switch and get lights and starter but no horn or brake light so something else is amiss. I am leaving for Europe on Tuesday morning for 6 weeks and really wanted this out of my shop before I left but I think it will be late August before I get it sorted unless I can solve it tomorrow morning.
Weather permitting I am
Heading to Scandinavia with my wife two up on our K1600, if rains in the forecast we will head for the sun instead, perhaps Sicily and Greece. No fixed plans, we fly into Paris and the riots on Wednesday, hopefully the place calms down by then.

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2023, 05:21:09 AM »
Nice...very nice !
Don't worry about the riots...just keep away from big cities and the more salubrious areas in them.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2023, 09:02:16 PM »
Nice...very nice !
Don't worry about the riots...just keep away from big cities and the more salubrious areas in them.

Good advice, thank you!

I got the switch sorted today, first off the handle bar mounted starter switch was badly corroded, I soaked it in muriatic acid for a good hour, then rinsed and dried it out, then a good soak in WD40 to hopefully protect it, replaced the wires back to the terminal block as well

I could not get the contacts on the original ignition switch to cooperate, I pulled the NOS switch I had on my 750S and installed it on the Sport. I found another NOS switch on EBay to replace the switch I robbed of my bike.
I traced every wire back from the fuse block, labeled them, checked continuity and found that someone swapped out the original BOSCH reg and rec and the Stator, had to scratch my head for a while to trace and figure out the wiring that was added back to the fuse box.

It took me a while with a multi meter but I got it all sorted.
The V7 Sport fired up immediately with fresh gas, the starter functions on the key switch and the push button and everything works except the rear brake switch is not working, I need to fit a simple generic switch but the front brake lever activates the brake light.

I ran the motor for a good 15 minutes, set the air screw and idles, the bike sounds great!

The owner picks the V7 Sport up tomorrow morning, I think he will be pleased. I charged him next to nothing for the time I spent but I wanted to see this bike cleaned up and ridden. I know the owner will be riding this bike on a regular basis, it’s been off the road for over 15 years!

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2023, 11:46:04 PM »

Beautiful work Jim. The owner should be very grateful to have you work on it for him. :thumb: Enjoy your trip abroad.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2023, 09:00:38 AM »
      Beautiful work Jim. The owner should be very grateful to have you work on it for him. :thumb: Enjoy your trip abroad.

Paul B :boozing:

Thanks Paul!

Online larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2023, 09:05:47 AM »
Very nice work! Wrenching on cool stuff isn't about the money, it's the hours of entertainment that you get.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2023, 01:05:14 PM »
Very nice work! Wrenching on cool stuff isn't about the money, it's the hours of entertainment that you get.
Larry

I couldn't have said it better!

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2023, 05:25:39 PM »
The rear tire appears to be 35+ years old so while I’m not myself a super-stickler for new tires, that might be something worth looking at.  They reintroduced the Phantom tread pattern a few years back as part of the styling package of the the Ducati Sports Classic bikes that aimed to liked like a bevel Ducati, but not in a narrow 18 inch rear, so I’m guessing that’s an old one.  Those were hard to get by the late 80s.

I’d use the new production versions on my bevel SS and Le Mans if you could get them in sizes to fit, but you can’t.  Nowadays they’re sized for ‘retro’ bikes not the real thing - meaning the old sport bikes for which they were originally developed.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 05:38:19 PM by Tusayan »

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2023, 06:35:00 PM »
The rear tire appears to be 35+ years old so while I’m not myself a super-stickler for new tires, that might be something worth looking at.  They reintroduced the Phantom tread pattern a few years back as part of the styling package of the the Ducati Sports Classic bikes that aimed to liked like a bevel Ducati, but not in a narrow 18 inch rear, so I’m guessing that’s an old one.  Those were hard to get by the late 80s.

I’d use the new production versions on my bevel SS and Le Mans if you could get them in sizes to fit, but you can’t.  Nowadays they’re sized for ‘retro’ bikes not the real thing - meaning the old sport bikes for which they were originally developed.

The front and rear tires are artifacts, the owner needs to get a safety inspection this week, I know the tires can not be older than ten years to pass safety so the owner will need to get new tires. I also found the rear brake light switch does not work even though power is getting to the switch and joining both brake light wires the brake light comes on. Front brake light switch functions. The inspection shop can install a modern spring pull type brake light switch. I think the rest of the bikes systems will easily pass, good brake linings, wheel and steering bearings, cables are good, lights, signals and horn works, fuel hoses are new and no leaks of fuel or fluids are evident.

A happy owner rides away this morning

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2023, 01:45:09 AM »
A stunner of a bike, you've really brought that back to life :thumb:
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here