Author Topic: Good news for flat track racing fans!  (Read 6269 times)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
Re: Good news for flat track racing fans!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 05:25:42 AM »
DuQuoin is a really beautiful and fast track. Illinois for July 4th sounds like a good place to be. The following week (July 11) is the Indy Mile. There was a conflict with scheduling at the State Fair, so it won't be held during the Moto GP weekend, unfortunately. Still, since I'll be in the area, I think I'll be able to see two miles!
In 1996, the Du Quoin Mile had been rained out on its original scheduled date, so it was held on the day after the Indy Mile. Indy was Saturday night and DuQuoin was on Sunday. That was a good weekend for this Flat Track junkie!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 06:00:47 AM »
It's only 289 miles for me. I'm diggin' it!

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:30:23 AM »

Offline Late to the party

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 02:14:57 PM »
"Flat track junkie". That's funny.

I'm gonna say I'm in for this one.

Lateness.

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 05:47:47 PM »
It's about a 3 hour ride there for me so I may go.
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 06:01:42 PM »
Great Track, Great Racing.  Been there 2 or 3 times when I lived in Belleville. 

Indy in Mid July?  Why did they change the date from MotoGP weekend? 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 06:18:44 PM »
Now , if we could just get the Sedalia mile and the Hallet AHRMA Nat back on the calendar ...

Dusty

Dusty, I can't think of Sedalia without remembering that Salt Lake City's Chris Dreyer, #77, lost an arm there around 1970.  He was really a top rider.  I was on the track with him at the 1967 75 mile national at Carlsbad, CA, but he was disappearing in the distance ahead of me.  Those old side-valve H-D KR-750s could really fly, whether on dirt or pavement, and he was a great rider. 

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »
Dusty, I can't think of Sedalia without remembering that Salt Lake City's Chris Dreyer, #77, lost an arm there around 1970.  He was really a top rider.  I was on the track with him at the 1967 75 mile national at Carlsbad, CA, but he was disappearing in the distance ahead of me.  Those old side-valve H-D KR-750s could really fly, whether on dirt or pavement, and he was a great rider. 

Ralph

Yeah , that was a really bad accident . One of our local racers ,Dave Burleigh , lost most of a foot at a track in Tulsa sometime around 1973 . I was in the USAF at the time , so not around , but he was a hero of mine .
AND yes , those old KRs , and the preceding WRs, were amazingly fast , developed to the Nth degree . When AHRMA was being formed , Dick Mann lobbied against a flat track division because of the danger . Fortunately , the last I knew there have been no fatalities . The accident at Du Quion  that took the life of Rodney Farris still gives me the shivers .

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »
I stopped in to see a friend who is a fantastic welder/fabricator/machinist today and he has finally realized his dream of owning an XR750. Serious piece. He's built Rotax and Yamaha SR500 powered bikes and raced them successfully, will be interesting to see what he can do with an XR once it's done. That may take a while - among other issues, 2nd gear has absolutely no teeth.  :o  :D
Charlie

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 07:49:02 PM »
Yeah , that was a really bad accident . One of our local racers ,Dave Burleigh , lost most of a foot at a track in Tulsa sometime around 1973 . I was in the USAF at the time , so not around , but he was a hero of mine .
AND yes , those old KRs , and the preceding WRs, were amazingly fast , developed to the Nth degree . When AHRMA was being formed , Dick Mann lobbied against a flat track division because of the danger . Fortunately , the last I knew there have been no fatalities . The accident at Du Quion  that took the life of Rodney Farris still gives me the shivers .

Didn't a racer have a fatal accident @ Sedalia one year?

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here