Author Topic: Brembo recall for idiotic use of plastic NGC  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
Brembo recall for idiotic use of plastic NGC
« on: December 31, 2017, 11:54:18 PM »
I wonder how many pennies they saved using a plastic piston over aluminum. Hope it was worth it to them and if anybody was seriously hurt may they be awarded many millions.
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/ducati-brembo-brake-recall/

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
Re: Brembo recall for idiotic use of plastic NGC
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 07:14:33 AM »
Meh.  Definitely something to be concerned with if you have a bike with a Brembo master cylinder, but any high performance company is going to push the design envelope for bigger, better, lighter, more powerful... and they are going to have failures and things that don't work out well over time. Don't chase cutting edge performance if you don't want to accept the risk of something not working out perfect.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »
And yet they won't sell replacement seals for said master cylinders in case someone messes up fitting them...
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:26:30 AM »
Meh.  Definitely something to be concerned with if you have a bike with a Brembo master cylinder, but any high performance company is going to push the design envelope for bigger, better, lighter, more powerful... and they are going to have failures and things that don't work out well over time. Don't chase cutting edge performance if you don't want to accept the risk of something not working out perfect.

On the other hand, a company that sells brakes for use on road bikes that fail because they were "experimental" isn't going to last long ... nor will their customers.

Brembo can't say "Sorry you went off that cliff when your brakes failed, buck, but that's the price you pay for our experimentation with the cutting edge of high performance ..."   

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:26:30 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »
 Has anyone experienced a failure and crashed ?

Dusty

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 10:10:23 AM »
Hmmm...does this mean that linked brakes could have advantages? The footbrake on my Vintage is just about as effective as the hand brake...I can safely tolerate the failure of a single MC. BTW, my mechanic sourced caliper rebuild kits from Ducati when my calipers needed a rebuild and the Grimeca rotors from an Aprilia RSV4 are the same diameter and offset as the rotors on my Cali (but 2.2 lbs lighter)...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »
Has anyone experienced a failure and crashed ?

Dusty

STOP IT  STOP IT  STOP IT  !!!!!

I will not have the objective use of common sense intrude on my use of emotional pandering......

:evil:

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »
STOP IT  STOP IT  STOP IT  !!!!!

I will not have the objective use of common sense intrude on my use of emotional pandering......

:evil:

kjf

Sorry Ken , sometimes I just can't help myself  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »
I'll argue that the reason Brembo made their m/c's nonserviceable was to keep the plastic piston a secret.   :evil:

And I hope that Brembo collects and destroys the plastic ones.  Nissin had a m/c recall a few years back.  I'm not sure how it happened, but the recalled ones got removed from bikes and sold on ebay, where they were used to replace m/c's on recall.  I know because I ended up with some.

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 09:29:56 PM »
An almost tragedy....
David Lira • 2 days ago
Funny that this is coming out because I had this failure at the end of the start finish straight while trying to navigate the double apex right hander and I had no idea this was even a thing.... Now I'm plenty upset

•Reply•Share ›
Larry Kahn  David Lira • 2 days ago
Did you stay upright?

•Reply•Share ›
David Lira  Larry Kahn • a day ago
Nope. The front brakes failed but luckily I got the bike slowed down enough to make it (almost) through the second apex of the turn before momentum carried me off the track. It wasn't bad, I was wearing my D Air suit which inflated and saved me from anything major. Dainese repaired them in quick order so no worries there. 3 weeks and a couple of thousand dollars later and we were back on the track with new rotors, and master cylinder, helmet, repaired leathers, gloves, boots and new right side pegs. I still haven't touched the fairings though, that's cosmetic and now I think Brembo aught to be the ones to do it

•Reply•Share ›

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 09:36:06 PM »
I'll argue that the reason Brembo made their m/c's nonserviceable was to keep the plastic piston a secret.   :evil:

And I hope that Brembo collects and destroys the plastic ones.  Nissin had a m/c recall a few years back.  I'm not sure how it happened, but the recalled ones got removed from bikes and sold on ebay, where they were used to replace m/c's on recall.  I know because I ended up with some.
of
I`ll argue with you, except the only reason I can fathom they used it is injection molding a piece of plastic saved a few Shekels over machining a piece of aluminum. I believe the reason they don`t make them rebuildable is someone is bound to bodge one up and then blame Brembo for making them rebuildable, Ha!

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 10:52:52 PM »
I'll agree with you on that.  And it's a bad place to cut corners.

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 06:17:44 AM »
Brembo usually doesn't have a reputation for being a budget part, however that is not out of the question. I would like to think the use of the material they selected had more to do with function, size and weight of the piston mass. And are the failures due to manufacturing defects or just over stressed parts? From the list of bikes it was used on, it probably was not their bottom of the line master cylinders.

Of course any failure hurts their reputation as the top brake manufacturer, and as such I would think they would be sensitive to that. I wonder if there is an engineer there either missing or on a very hot seat.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 09:54:52 AM »
At least they are being responsible instead of just denying there's a problem.

I wonder what fraction of a % have actually failed?
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here