Author Topic: State of Guzzi  (Read 16562 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: State of Guzzi
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2015, 10:10:34 PM »
I also prefer it when the assume components can go quack  :huh:

Dusty

You know it's past Shay's bedtime. He can't start proofreading till at least 5:30 am when I tell him to "shut up, lay back down in your crib and go back to sleep, the sun's not up yet!" (Or something like that).  :wink:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2015, 10:20:22 PM »
You know it's past Shay's bedtime. He can't start proofreading till at least 5:30 am when I tell him to "shut up, lay back down in your crib and go back to sleep, the sun's not up yet!" (Or something like that).  :wink:

Figured it was past his bedtime , he usually catches stuff  :laugh:

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2015, 10:25:14 PM »
I wanted to like the Ducati Scrambler, but I was struck by truly sloppy welding, and my overall impression was that I was dealing with an oversize dinky toy, or Lego set with lots of potential add-ons. It didn't seem like a complete bike.

For me, the Triumph Street Triple and the Moto Guzzi V7 II are aesthetically in a different league.

Because of what I've seen of the Scrambler, I'm not at all convinced that Moto Guzzi's decision to go the kit route is a great idea, but I hope I'm proven wrong. In any event, the V7s are solid on their own.

To me the Street Triple and V7 couldn't be more different.

Maybe my opinion of the Scrambler gets colored by my impression of our 696. And for starters the 696 is "better" than either the Scrambler or V7 in the USD forks and dual disc brakes. It's also got an incredibly stout swingarm and gorgeous trellis frame.

Now I've already said multiple times I prefer the V7 so you understand my sincerity when I say I get the impression the Scrambler has some more robust components. Maybe it's just the swingarm.

The forks and wheels and brakes seem about equivalent.. Maybe bars and controls are similar. The V7 has an advantage in the fuel tank and arguably easier service (valves/shaft). But the Scrambler had significantly more power.

One thing I HATE about the V7 are the chincy plastic fenders. The front is fine, but the rear wobbles and shimmies under the weight of the taillight. It leaves you with an impression of weakness. The Duc has as much plastic, but better executed.

I'm pretty stoked the V9 has steel fenders and hope it will carry over to the V9 Stone/Special if/when they build it.

That plus the motor could be enough for me to add another to the fleet (I really hope I don't ever consider getting rid of the Stone).

Ymmv
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

rob-mg

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2015, 10:46:38 PM »
To me the Street Triple and V7 couldn't be more different.

If you read my first post on this, you'll find that I started by saying that the V7 II, Street Triple R and Ducati Scrambler are very different bikes. Nevertheless, they are the three that I was considering, after discounting the new Bonneville line as not meeting (regrettably) my interests.

The main issue for me was ergonomics, on which the Ducati came a distant last. You invited non-ergonomic comments, which I offered. My comments were about aesthetics and finish, yours are about components. Different issues.

All I can say is that, aesthetically, I'd take the Street Triple or the V7 any day of the week over the Scrambler, but obviously others disagree - Ducati is apparently selling a ton of these bikes.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:48:11 PM by rob-mg »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2015, 10:46:38 PM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »
I did read your first post, but mea-culpa it was so long ago (measured in # of posts I've read tonight).

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, nor change your mind.

My intent was just to query the impressions of quality or lack thereof, especially as they pertain to the theme of this thread.

I've only owned 3 Guzzis and 1 Ducati, but that experience has left me with a more favorable impression of Ducati with regards to "quality". Even if that doesn't stop me from continuing to buy the Guzzi I prefer.

Ergonomics can be funny. If pressed I would have said my V7 and the Scrambler were about the same. Certainly closer than our Monster and V7.

But my comments about components were meant to speak to overal finish (which is largely perception of quality in my mind).

Aesthetics are funny. Because to me the Scrambler and V7 are more similar than not, while the Street Triple is the odd man out. That's part of what I meant by" couldn't be more different ".
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

rob-mg

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2015, 11:39:57 PM »
I did read your first post, but mea-culpa it was so long ago (measured in # of posts I've read tonight).

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, nor change your mind.

My intent was just to query the impressions of quality or lack thereof, especially as they pertain to the theme of this thread.

I've only owned 3 Guzzis and 1 Ducati, but that experience has left me with a more favorable impression of Ducati with regards to "quality". Even if that doesn't stop me from continuing to buy the Guzzi I prefer.

Ergonomics can be funny. If pressed I would have said my V7 and the Scrambler were about the same. Certainly closer than our Monster and V7.

But my comments about components were meant to speak to overal finish (which is largely perception of quality in my mind).

Aesthetics are funny. Because to me the Scrambler and V7 are more similar than not, while the Street Triple is the odd man out. That's part of what I meant by" couldn't be more different ".

Kev,

If you're 6', let me assure you that the ergonomics of the Street Triple and the V7 II are better than the Ducati Scrambler. Review after review has said, correctly, that it is a "tiny" bike. It reminds me of my old Honda CBR125 R, which in US terms would be similar to a Honda Grom (might even be the same engine).

I talked about finish, not quality. I do not consider the sloppy gas tank welds that I saw on the three Ducati Scramblers that I checked out a sign of good finish, and the paint struck me as not a whole lot better. To me, the bike has a rough, unfinished look, and in general doesn't know what it wants to be - enter all the versions and kits.

Between the three bikes, I think that the objective decision would have been the Street Triple, the actual decision was the V7, and the Ducati Scrambler quickly ceased to be a serious option. If you want a Ducati Scrambler, I suspect that there are going to be a fair number on the used market in a year's time. They are already showing up, I suspect from riders who aren't thrilled with the trigger happy throttle.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 12:00:16 AM by rob-mg »

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2015, 01:58:23 PM »
Another comment on rollerization...I'm glad I did it now and before any irreparable damage was done.  I'm NOT happy with the fact that Piaggio has not seen fit to cover the cost of the kit.  They have not actually denied the claim, just ignored it.  The Stelvio is still the bike I'd buy if I wanted a large, heavy, upright ride with hard bags and shaft drive.  Nothing comes close for anywhere near the price.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here