Author Topic: Sort of a new message - re a long-running topic ... Guzzi 4 valve heads  (Read 5316 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Wonder what the power deficit would have been had Guzzi simply designed a 4 valve head with each set of valves ( a set being two intakes or two exhausts) actuated by a pushrod and forked rocker arm system, using the single cam located in the block, instead of the current 8v high-cam design?

I believe a German company, owned by Mike Krauser, designed 4 valve heads for the old BMW airheads that utilized the cam in block and existing pushrod to do that.  However, I don't have any info on what power gains were achieved.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

oldbike54

Re: Sort of a new message - re a long-running topic ... Guzzi 4 valve heads
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »
 My understanding is that the largest gains in a 4 valve vs 2 valve head are in the midrange . Certainly a 4 valve design with lighter components allows for higher RPM's , but that is a side effect . The Krauser 4 valve beemer heads were worth about 4 HP at 5K if memory serves . Triumph experimented with 4 valve chambers designed by Cosworth in pushrod twins , unfortunately the castings were so porous they were not a success , although they did provide some benefit at 4500 Revs .

Dusty

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 06:00:50 PM »
My Yamaha Road Star Warrior had a design like you mention.

It seemed to work well even though that engine red lined at 5500 rpm.

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 06:46:17 PM »
Moto Guzzi was pretty ingenious with the small blocks, starting with the Imola II, then continuing with the much maligned Lario.  They both used the existing two valve cam, with a set of intakes and a set of exhausts just as you described.  Fortunately this lends itself quite well to later small blocks being modified to run with four valves.  I have seen a power and torque increase across the board with my conversion. I think just over a 40% increase in RWHP. 
Anyhow, I attached some pictures you might find enlightening.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 06:46:17 PM »

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
That is interesting to me (any maybe anyone who doesn't know Guzzi has already done this.)  Thanks for the info.  I'm relatively new to Guzzi (2008 1200 Sport), and find this kind of info really good!

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 12:11:30 AM »
  Triumph experimented with 4 valve chambers designed by Cosworth in pushrod twins , unfortunately the castings were so porous they were not a success , although they did provide some benefit at 4500 Revs .

Dusty

Harry Weslake not Cosworth
Full engines still available from Dave Nourish (Nourish on covers, not Weslake as orig )
The conversion for unit Triumphs was paid for by Rickman (Rickman on rocker covers)
Factory TSS (finned only rocker covers) was the one with porous heads but real problem was Margaret Thatcher, the co-op went into liquidation in August 83, bikes had hardly started production.
Quite a few Weslake / Nourish engines about here + some unit Triumphs with the top end only, haven't seen a factory TSS for years

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 12:19:06 AM »
Harry Weslake not Cosworth
Full engines still available from Dave Nourish (Nourish on covers, not Weslake as orig )
The conversion for unit Triumphs was paid for by Rickman (Rickman on rocker covers)
Factory TSS (finned only rocker covers) was the one with porous heads but real problem was Margaret Thatcher, the co-op went into liquidation in August 83, bikes had hardly started production.
Quite a few Weslake / Nourish engines about here + some unit Triumphs with the top end only, haven't seen a factory TSS for years

Yeah , Weslake . I almost purchased a TSS , really glad that didn't happen . Have lost touch with the whole Brit bike culture over the last several years , but back in the day I bled BRG .

Dusty

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 05:53:02 AM »
I believe a German company, owned by Mike Krauser, designed 4 valve heads for the old BMW airheads that utilized the cam in block and existing pushrod to do that.  However, I don't have any info on what power gains were achieved.

Krauser heads were also available for Guzzi's the newer "hi cam" motors are a clean sheet design when given that, the question why would you engineer what essentially is a stop gap measure.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 07:10:12 AM »
Krauser heads were also available for Guzzi's the newer "hi cam" motors are a clean sheet design when given that, the question why would you engineer what essentially is a stop gap measure.
My thought was ..... Guzzi is a tiny mfg in the total scheme of motorcycle manufacturing.  They sell (what?) 5000-7000 machines a year, of which possibly half are big blocks.  Maybe a stop gap measure, if it was indeed a stop gap measure, would have been ok if the engineering $$ had been applied elsewhere to improve other aspects of Guzzi's operations ....  distribution, sales, dealer support, and warranty.

canuguzzi

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 02:17:12 PM »
My thought was ..... Guzzi is a tiny mfg in the total scheme of motorcycle manufacturing.  They sell (what?) 5000-7000 machines a year, of which possibly half are big blocks.  Maybe a stop gap measure, if it was indeed a stop gap measure, would have been ok if the engineering $$ had been applied elsewhere to improve other aspects of Guzzi's operations ....  distribution, sales, dealer support, and warranty.

Bingo! There was nothing wring with the first Gen Norge that refinement couldn't address, postpone the 8V and really do it right.

With the resources put into quality assurance, dealer/customer support and such, they wouldn't be selling 7k units, they'd sell 30,000. Then resources would be available to make the next 20 year engine.

Imagine top tier quality control, better suspensions, all the figment near perfect, wiring straightened out and so forth. Cruise and such available as options from the factory and working spot in.

Sales would skyrocket, new buyers would not hesitate and by now you'd be able to get that new engined MG that took no prisoners.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
I hear the wind blow.  :smiley: :boozing: When I first became addicted to Guzzis, the "message boards" had the same "if only Guzzi would" threads.
The more things change, the more they stay the same. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Vasco DG

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 04:35:48 PM »
I've known a couple of folks who had the aftermarket 4V Pushrod heads and they were fraught with problems. Most related to the valve spring pressure. They used twin springs per valve, might even of just doubled up on the 2-Valve springs from memory. They collapsed pushrods and buggered cams often.

KCS was I think the mob who made them.

Pete

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 11:51:59 PM »
Found this picture online of a couple of LeMans IIIs with the KCS heads. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here