Author Topic: side stand for a 78 g5 - which one, straight or crooked?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
side stand for a 78 g5 - which one, straight or crooked?
« on: November 30, 2015, 12:12:36 PM »
im taking the floorboards off my g5 and reinstalling the stock lower rails with the footpegs.  the PO cut off the mounting block for the side stand.  i bought a weld on one from mgcycle and will reweld in place.  i have both the straight side stand from the floorboards and the crooked one that came with the bike.  i was told that the crooked one is specifically for the peg setup and the straight one is for floorboards.  is that true?  can i use the straight one with the peg setup or does it interfere with something.  the bike is at my shop at work so i cant look at it now
thx
allen

Offline yackee

• Gosling
Re: side stand for a 78 g5 - which one, straight or crooked?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 01:35:34 PM »
You shouldn't have a trouble fitting the longer, straight side-stand (police-style?). My t-3 (originally with floorboards actually) came with the short little bent side-stand (civilian?) that leans the bike over at a 45 degree angle. I swapped out the floorboards for pegs, but the problem there was that the new lower rails didn't have the right bracket for the long side-stand. I had the mgcycle bracket welded on to the new rails, and mounted the long straight (police-style?) side stand, and it works fine. No clearance issues. And far more stable than the short side stand.

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »
     If by straight one, you mean the police type that has the chunk of steel that fits into a groove when there is weight on the stand to keep bike from rolling forward, that is the best side stand known to man, in my opinion.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 03:56:37 PM »
i have both of these, but wasnt sure why i was told i could only use the black one with the peg setup

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 4.49.44 PM by amametScreen Shot 2015-11-30 at 4.50.01 PM by amamet

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 03:56:37 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 05:07:49 PM »
the bent SS is plain ugly, should be on a ural.. use the police stand it has italian flair.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »
agreed the bent one is ugly.  just need to know if i need to use that one not the straight one.  i guess after welding and reinstalling ill find out but thought maybe someone hear had a definitive answer

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 07:19:42 PM »
The G5 with foot pegs used a peg location that was unique to that model (as far as I know). If I recall correctly, it placed the feet lower than on other Tonti-framed bikes. As a result, I believe this required the bent/crooked side stand.

So, if you have original G5 side rails, you may need to use the bent/crooked side stand. If you are  using side rails from another Guzzi model, the straight side stand should be fine.

EDIT:
Note that BOTH the stands shown in the images above mount at the forward end of the left side rail. In essence, both provide the strength and stability expected of a police-style stand. The bent/crooked one is made that way to work around the original G5's lower foot peg position.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:50:51 PM by LeRoy »
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 10:40:47 PM »
Both are good side stands.  If it was me I'd use the crooked 1 because like the newer sportier(SP2) Tonti bikes that  stand mounts near the foot peg and distributes the weight of the bike more evenly because of it.  I had that setup on my `87 Le Mans IV and liked it.  The straight stand is more sturdy but is made for cruisers which weigh more than the G5 and it mounts way forward near the front motor mount.  Either will work.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here