Author Topic: Keyword Spamming  (Read 10879 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Keyword Spamming
« on: February 08, 2015, 12:16:14 PM »
Anybody besides me have a problem with this in eBay or Craigslist ads, or any other environment where people are driven to the address with a search?

I very often see ads (take bikes as an example) where this is used.    For example, for a Norton bike, the description will say "Norton BSA Triumph Ariel Matchless" and "Street Scrambler Racer Bobber Chopper"  even if nothing but "Norton" and "Street" apply to this bike.

I know that what they are trying to do is to get maximum traffic to their ad, just like Spam Emails hope that 1 person out of 10,000 will answer, and the other 9,999 are just inconvenienced.

I see it as a dishonest attempt to manipulate the buyers, and as a waste of my time, and as a result I wouldn't consider buying a bike or anything else from a "keyword spam" ad, because I wouldn't consider the seller as honest; what ELSE might he be doing to manipulate or "spin" or "shade" the truth to distract me?

But maybe others don't care?   There sure seems to be a lot of it going on .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
Re: Keyword Spamming
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 12:22:42 PM »
Never done it, but it sure widens your audience when people use a search engine.   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
In my ebay search for "Guzzi Tonti" I keep getting results for chain cleaning kits.
1990 MilleGT

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:24:49 PM »
I don't mind key words if they are related somehow. To put "Ariel, Triumph, BSA, Matchless, Norton" on a Britbike for sale does not bug me. I would be interested in looking at any of those.  To put "old skool, badazz, cafe, chopper"?  That is simply chumming for retards.  :D
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:24:49 PM »

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 02:05:13 PM »
[Chumming for Retards]

Wasn't that the second album by the band Losing Lottery? It had the hit single " Party Politics ".
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »
[Chumming for Retards]

Wasn't that the second album by the band Losing Lottery? It had the hit single " Party Politics ".

2017 Suzuki DR650

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 02:23:51 PM »
BMW for sale . Side car equipped WW 2 model , immaculate condition , 200 miles , excellent paint , like new . Very rare . BMW .

BMW copy , made in China by Chang Jiang , exact replica of 1943 BMW used by the German military , very rare , impress your friends , collector quality . $12,OOO .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »

BMW copy , made in China by Chang Jiang , exact replica of 1943 BMW used by the German military , very rare , impress your friends , collector quality . $12,OOO .

Dusty

A Chang Jiang advert using ANY of these words without a negative in front:

Exact
Rare
Impress
Friends
Collector, or
Quality

is just a bald-faced lie from the very start!!   :D

Lannis
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:31:46 PM by Lannis »

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 03:33:02 PM »
You mean the nice man on the phone was not going to be in the area this week doing a paving job and can offer me half price since he will be near? Oh darn,  am beginning to think I can't trust all the people all the time. :-[  As to this post, I wish they would limit the spam to a reasonable level (none?); not un like the first ten entries on any search I make using AOL..generic sales outlets that don't have anything near what I am looking for.

crc

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 03:39:29 PM »
[quote author=Lannis link=topic=74610.msg1169007#msg1169007 date=142341

I see it as a dishonest attempt to manipulate the buyers, and as a waste of my time, and as a result I wouldn't consider buying a bike or anything else from a "keyword spam" ad, because I wouldn't consider the seller as honest; what ELSE might he be doing to manipulate or "spin" or "shade" the truth to distract me?

But maybe others don't care?   There sure seems to be a lot of it going on .....

Lannis
[/quote

tell me lannis do you smoke pot or are you just naturally paranoid?

tell me if you saw a bike you really wanted, went to look at it and it was perfect for you. then the seller swears, mentions religion or has tattoos etc etc, are you gona walk away? lighten up man ;)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 04:15:08 PM »

But maybe others don't care?   There sure seems to be a lot of it going on .....

Lannis

tell me lannis do you smoke pot or are you just naturally paranoid?

tell me if you saw a bike you really wanted, went to look at it and it was perfect for you. then the seller swears, mentions religion or has tattoos etc etc, are you gona walk away? lighten up man ;)

Jeez, talk about smoking pot .... What on God's green earth does that situation have to do with the one I proposed?     When I bought my Opel GT a few years back from an honest eBay ad, I showed up and a Saudi guy invited me into his apartment, which looked like the Arabian Nights, we sat on cushions on the floor and drank syrupy coffee out of little cups and ate some little marzipan things, THEN we went and looked at the car, it was JUST what he said it was, he hadn't misrepresented anything, and I paid cash and drove it home.

His religion had NOTHING to do with whether he was being honest about the car.   His ad did NOT say:

"OPEL GT Ferrari Maserati AC Cobra brand new restored race car for sale $200 (that's for the title, it's $2,500 if you want the car, needs body work, runs)"

and other misrepresentations, smoke, mirrors, and B.S.   That's "keyword spamming" and it's what I was writing about.

There's already half a dozen sad people on here that never read what I actually write, they just see my name and react with some violent polemic against Glenn Beck or someone that has nothing to do with my response; don't add to the confusion ....

Lannis

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:15:53 PM by Lannis »

crc

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 04:21:33 PM »
theres a good percentage of adds that misrepresent the item, it doesn't mean by adding a few other brands that are not associated with the item being sold means the seller is dishonest. that's all I mean ???

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 04:22:03 PM »
Who is Glenn Beck ?  :D Seriously , not sure any Kiwi would have a clue as to who he is  ;D

Dusty

crc

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 04:23:52 PM »
Who is Glenn Beck ?  :D Seriously , not sure any Kiwi would have a clue as to who he is  ;D

Dusty

related to jeff beck? ???

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 04:43:32 PM »
Lannis, I find it annoying, but not a deal breaker.  It gets really bad with the Kawasaki triples.  A guy will have, for example, an A/B pair of CDI units from a late H1, and list it as "Kawasaki CDI units H1 KH500 H2", or someone will list a breaker point ignition plate from an S2 (350) as "Ignition plate Kawasaki S1 S2 S3 KH400 H1 KH500 H2".  Or a gas tank from an H1 as "1973 Kawasaki gas tank, H1 H2".  In all cases the parts don't fit all those models, so the keyword spamming won't help the seller at all.  Maybe the seller just doesn't know what he has and hopes the buyer will figure it out.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

crc

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 04:54:28 PM »
what jim says is quiet often the truth. but also if its different makes concerned for a bike say its usually because people associated with classics will pick up on different things. I don't see it as dishonest and definitely not a deal breaker

Offline injundave

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 06:00:52 PM »
Here in New Zealand we have our equivalent of ebay called trademe. I have a favourite search for Moto Guzzi so I get to see anything Guzzi oriented. There is a motorcycle dealer who will advertise Japanese and Korean bikes with the keyword Moto Guzzi somewhere in the ad. This means that his ads appear in the MG search. On at least one occasion there were about 400 ads, 65% of which were non-Guzzi and the majority of these were from this dealer.

I have complained to trademe about it to no avail. Needless to say, I will never buy anything from this dealer.
1975 850 T3
1980 V50 (Now belongs to my daughter)
2019 V85TT

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 06:03:51 PM »
BMW for sale . Side car equipped WW 2 model , immaculate condition , 200 miles , excellent paint , like new . Very rare . BMW .

Dusty

Yeah, more Sand Springs or Mannford ads?  :-[
2017 Suzuki DR650

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 06:10:57 PM »
Yeah, more Sand Springs or Mannford ads?  :-[

Seems like the last one of these "BMWs" was listed in Sapulpa .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 09:38:55 PM »
Here in New Zealand we have our equivalent of ebay called trademe. I have a favourite search for Moto Guzzi so I get to see anything Guzzi oriented. There is a motorcycle dealer who will advertise Japanese and Korean bikes with the keyword Moto Guzzi somewhere in the ad. This means that his ads appear in the MG search. On at least one occasion there were about 400 ads, 65% of which were non-Guzzi and the majority of these were from this dealer.

I have complained to trademe about it to no avail. Needless to say, I will never buy anything from this dealer.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about - I see it all the time.   

On the one hand, mentioning several different possible models that a part might fit (like Jim said on the Kaw triples) can actually be helpful to the buyer, and I don't mind that.

It's when the guy is trying to fool me into looking at his ad, and wasting my time and bandwidth, that I say to myself "You scummy scammer, I wouldn't get that part from you if you paid me to take it".

I'm apparently not the only one, but not everyone considers it a deal breaker, it seems ...  P:)

Lannis

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 11:05:49 PM »
I have to think that in the case of the Kaws, they like to mention H2s because they are the famous ones that are in a lot of searches.  Anyway, chalk it up to human behavior and don't let it bother you too much.  Remember about 10 or 15 years ago when the "in" thing to do was put L@@K in every title?
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 07:13:43 AM »

Dusty
Or give a rat's arse
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 07:31:50 AM »

related to jeff beck? ???

LOL...glad I had already swallowed my coffee!!

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 07:40:11 AM »
I was among a group, I do not know how many, that used to put subscripts in my signature lines that were supposedly keywords that NSA was looking for.

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 07:42:06 AM »
How many folks have seen the ads that promose to remove or bury negative reviews so they will not appear on searches?

How many folks believe that the reviews online are real people?

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 07:55:56 AM »
what I find annoying is the eBay guy who lists the same item dozens of times, it's usually some uiversal "fits all" part but i still  have to scroll through them all

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 08:01:54 AM »
I have to think that in the case of the Kaws, they like to mention H2s because they are the famous ones that are in a lot of searches.  Anyway, chalk it up to human behavior and don't let it bother you too much.  Remember about 10 or 15 years ago when the "in" thing to do was put L@@K in every title?

I do remember, and I wouldn't LOOK at any ad that had that in it.

Just like I don't look at any photo or video that bills itself as "INSANE".   I'll be glad when THAT fad is done.

I will:

1) Chalk up keyword spamming to human behavior as you say.
2) Won't let it bother me too much (I've had my say and I'm happy now).

I will NOT:

1) Buy anything from a keyword spammer as I still consider that sort of human behavior as borderline slimy ....  ~;   :wife:

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 08:16:03 AM »
Chris , one Beck is louder and less relevant than the other Beck  ;D

Dusty

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 08:49:36 AM »
    I do a small amount of keyword advertising with everything I put up for sale. I keep it very simple like using the word Galaxie along with custom 300 when selling a 1965 ford custom 300. It's really a galaxie but it's not. Nobody looks for a custom 300 and if they do they get tired of looking at all the custom stuff that pops up. Imagine a sea of Honda's with fart can mufflers.

As long as it's reasonable. Heck I don't mind the cafe bobber chopper streetfighter keywords for a modified bike. People who are using those keywords are looking for a modified bike or a base to start with. Chumming for tards is fine. I just hate when the keyword gets out of hand and you get a honda 360t when you search Moto Guzzi. Those do not get looked at.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 09:02:13 AM »
I just hate when the keyword gets out of hand and you get a honda 360t when you search Moto Guzzi. Those do not get looked at.

That's for sure.  I have to search for "guzzi -harley -ducati -bmw -honda" when I do a Craigslist search, or half the results are non-guzzi.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here