Author Topic: Keyword Spamming  (Read 10883 times)

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
Re: Keyword Spamming
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »
I've seen it a lot, but I'm pleased to say this morning there doesn't seem to be even one, in the local craigslist haul.  Couple dozen hits, and yes three of them aren't Guzzis for sale - but they're either will trade for Guzzi, or Aprilia same parent co. as Guzzi.  There's a nice clean T3 police in there for $3800, by the way.

It reflects negatively on the seller.  "I don't care how many people it inconveniences, if by making my ad show up in searches for things that have nothing to do with it I slightly raise the odds that someone will buy my junk."

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2015, 11:41:40 AM »
I don't think it's so bad if the other keywords aren't too far afield from the item being sold. Someone searching for "bobber" may be interested in an old norton or triumph, etc.

What I do find annoying is the people that are selling a generic honda or something and then put every single motorcycle manufacturer as a keyword and sometimes even put car brands. To me that is just annoying people and likely hurts the seller more than helps.

One key thing to remember is that when you search you can remove keyword results by using a "-" as a prefix. Depending on what and where you're looking, that can be very helpful.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2015, 06:35:08 PM »
I do think that annoying me into buying something isn't the best sales tactic.  That shill with the urgent, shouting to CALL NOW!!!! repeating the phone number three or more times will never make a sale to me.  Those commercials where sixteen people all repeat the same part of a sentence also drive me homicidal.

voice one  "I'll never"
voice two "I'll never forget that day"
voice three "That was a day I won't forget . . .when the [insert the what here]"
voice four "I'll never forget what I learned that day"
voice five "That was a day I'll never forget what I learned"

voice mine "SHUTTHEFUCKUP!!!!"

I just did a search on ebay for Citroen headlights.  12,000 entries.  Three were actually citroen.  The rest were HID conversions, LED, etc, many in the wrong shape, size, and voltage -- all insisting they're citroen parts.

And I agree that the asshat selling 600 steering head bearings doesn't need to list all 600 separately.  I find that so annoying that I don't buy from those sorts of listings whether I need it or not -- just scroll on till the endless list finally ends.

Another odd tactic is selling the same stock from different sources.  They list under different names and locations, but when you look at the descriptions they have the same typos and the same pictures.  The price and shipping are all over the board.

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 10:43:19 AM »
I only care when it becomes a horrible waste of my time like on Craigslist or "back page" when the keywords have absolutely no connection and are of such a great list that excluding them from the search is too time consuming to bother... if even possible.

Or if exclusion backfires and denies valid returns.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 10:43:19 AM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here