Author Topic: 1986 Lario Purchase ?'s  (Read 688 times)

Offline guzzimaster

• New Egg
1986 Lario Purchase ?'s
« on: June 15, 2022, 11:07:03 AM »
 I have a chance to purchase an '86 Lario!
I bought one for my son 15 years ago with 15k on it and it dropped a valve within 1000 miles of ownership :cry:
:thewife:  I love these Lario's, but what am I about to get myself into!  Owner says: "Starts up and runs, is having issues with compression and needs new rings".   :shocked:
Do you think it has already damaged a valve? 
Would it still run if it has? 
At 65 I'd like a backyard mechanics restoration (work on old loops 4 30 yrs), but I'm not 'adept or equipt to do major engineering rebuilds.
I've read quite a bit about the Lario nightmares "here", but can't determine if anyone has created a reliable Lario except for the major re-engineered re-builders.  Man, I'd love to fix this Lario up and pass it to my grandson, "after I play with it".
Is there Help & advice out there for Lario lovers?
MotorOverTimeObedie ntly GasUpZigzagZoomInde finetly
'74 California "Santana" / 2020 V85tt "Liberty / 2014 California Custom "Black Pony"

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1986 Lario Purchase ?'s
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 04:01:35 PM »
There is a thread on this Lario already. I would say pass on it, if you aren't capable of doing  what needs to be done. Certainly no offense intended.
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=115418.0
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 04:03:00 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 07:47:48 PM »
Buy it.Even if you spend another 3500 you will have a classic the will outrun any new small blocks.They aren’t making any more of them.

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 01:49:43 AM »
if you buy it it will need minimum new valves and valve springs , just to be able to use it safely.
Not a  expensive or hard job.
once modified the little engine is great,
i've had mine for nearly a decade , using it as daily transport and holiday trips.
but to be honest the 750 2 valve is a nice engine too ( pre 1990 will need new valves and springs too by the way) and a lot easier to live with.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 01:49:43 AM »

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 05:17:22 AM »
if you buy it it will need minimum new valves and valve springs , just to be able to use it safely.
Not a  expensive or hard job.
once modified the little engine is great,
i've had mine for nearly a decade , using it as daily transport and holiday trips.
but to be honest the 750 2 valve is a nice engine too ( pre 1990 will need new valves and springs too by the way) and a lot easier to live with.
Yo huub
Awesome thing when assembled correctly,no doubt whatsoever.The trouble starts with internet fixes, some on here have dropped valves AFTER they “fixed” it
Cams, followers, pushrod ends, adjusters etc all suffer from original “oversight”

For OP, it is bargain if you like 80’s styling, chuck a modern V7, V9 or , for some madness, a V85TT,  motor in, doddle to do
Sell me the motor or blueprint yourself, not $3K but prepare for 1+.
Motor is no more difficult to assemble than bb in loop, just needs love not oe parts
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:04:46 PM by jacksonracingcomau »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 05:33:05 PM »
Guzzimaster: you'd be better off buying these: https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=115461.0
Charlie

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 05:38:50 AM »
Guzzimaster: you'd be better off buying these: https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=115461.0

That is a buy.. and.. it has the unobtainium euro turnsignals.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 10:30:40 PM »
That is a buy.. and.. it has the unobtainium euro turnsignals.

No doubt either one is a bargain, I’d buy both (all?)  if I could get them to oz cheaply
But a word of warning, fixing up heads does not totally solve problem, both yours (I bought Chuck’s old motor and one here, apparently expert built) and mine had springs and valves changed, both had camshafts worn to nothing, all valve train hammered.
Brand new unused engines were fixable with springs, once used all bets are off, total inspection necessary, happy to advise any buyers
First step, dial gauge on the valves or pushrods, measure travel, once hardening is gone, more wear is rapid, won’t grow back

Offline guzzimaster

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 01:14:51 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice.  I have one more day to make my decision when the current owner returns from vacation. 
I still don't know which way I'll go.  I'll post my decision asap.  Thanks again.
MotorOverTimeObedie ntly GasUpZigzagZoomInde finetly
'74 California "Santana" / 2020 V85tt "Liberty / 2014 California Custom "Black Pony"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here