Author Topic: My Guzzi EV / DMC Sidecar Build  (Read 839 times)

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
My Guzzi EV / DMC Sidecar Build
« on: November 28, 2023, 10:07:01 AM »

Hello Folks, I would like to show you my 98 EV DMC M72 sidecar build. I was lucky to be able to purchase the DMC sidecar brand new, with all mountings, just before Jay sold the business to Texas Sidecars. I got the tub as it comes out of the mold in gell coat. DMC builds a very nice quality sidecar and frame. I chose the Brembo brake option for the sidecar wheel.The fiberglass is all hand layed, not chopper gun stuff, and they build a very sturdy rig, many of which are used off road, without issues. It took alot of bodywork to smooth out the tub for paint. DMC sells them already nicely carpeted on the inside, with a very comfy seat, and ,with a nice sized trunk. I also purchased the accessory tonneau cover from DMC.  It took me almost a year to get it all finished and roadworthy.
The EV make a great "TUG" with lots of torque and powerful brakes.
Rick.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 12:28:58 PM by bigbikerrick »
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: My Guzzi EV / DMC Sidecar Build
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 10:13:19 AM »

A Hagon adjustable shock is standard for the sidecar suspension. The frame is sturdy square tubing, very nicely welded,and reinforced at stress points. For the two lower mounts ,I used stainless steel "Eye" bolts made by our own Lee Bruns, out of a solid piece of stainless billett. That makes mounting to a Tonti frame much easier, as they bolt straight into the frame.
Rick

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 10:18:10 AM »

I built a step plate out of exhaust tubing that was mandrel bent, to make getting in and out of the sidecar easier.

Showa adjustable air shocks from a Harley FLH were installed on the bike, and provide good adjustability to fine tune the ride as needed. Much improved over the stock Guzzi shocks! :thumb:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 12:24:59 PM by bigbikerrick »

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 10:22:09 AM »

I chose the HD type fender, as well as a real spoked wheel, also "HD Style" to match the wheels on the bike as much as possible.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 12:25:59 PM by bigbikerrick »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 10:22:09 AM »

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 11:20:18 AM »

I added a Brooklands windshield. The seat back flips forwards to access the trunk. Harley FLH turn signals were added to the tub.

I had the paint custom mixed to match the two tone on the EV, including the thin silver pin stripe between the two colors. Everything was sealed with 6 good coats of urethane clear. I actually painted this in my front yard, as I dont have a paint booth.
Rick.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 11:25:04 AM by bigbikerrick »

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 11:28:16 AM »

I hooked up a braided stainless steel brake line from the brembo ,on the sidecar wheel, to the junction at the EVs rear master cylinder. The foot brake pedal actuates the left front caliper,the rear caliper, and the sidecar wheel. I am pleasantly surprised that the rig stops evenly, without any pull to the left or right, using the brake pedal.  If I need a little more braking on the "bikes side" as in to help with left turns, I just need to lightly use the front brake lever, to assist in turning.   I replaced the EVs stock handlebars , with a set of Flanders mid "flattrack" bend, that are almost 4" wider than the buckhorn bars that came on the EV. Those were comfortable as a 2 wheeler, but the extra leverage is nice to have.  I also added a VW steering damper, in place of the useless oem  friction damper. 
Rick.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 03:50:51 PM by bigbikerrick »

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 08:07:00 AM »
Very nice rig! The frame and mounts look very sturdy. Did you do anything to change the trail on the front forks?
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2023, 08:16:33 PM »
Very nice rig! The frame and mounts look very sturdy. Did you do anything to change the trail on the front forks?
Larry

No changes to front fork trail was done.  It steers pretty good with the wider handlebars I put on it.  This is the third Guzzi tonti rig I build. The other two had no trail mods done either. 2003 aluminum,and 84 Cal II auto) The massive front forks and fork brace on the 98 EV helps alot. Its much stouter,and in turn, steers  better that the thinner  35mm forks on my old Cal II rig.
Rick.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2024, 11:47:08 AM »
A "modification" I did recently to the front end was install a 110 90 18 Rear tire, rotating in the opposite direction.Although there is no trail reduction, It helps quite a bit, in steering,and the overall  stability, of the rig. I believe its mostly due to the stiffer sidewall of the tire meant for rear application.
Rick.

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 07:56:24 PM »
BBR ,Very nicely done, the paint job looks great in the pictures.

My 03 EV and Teraplane sidecar are currently at Lees, for him to make the mounting hardware and attach the hack. The Teraplane came with a disc brake but the original has never worked and near impossible to find parts for, so I may be contacting you for more info on how yours is set up.

Have you considered increasing the gas tank capacity or putting an auxiliary tank in the car?
Lee told me he once put an auxiliary tank on the rear rack, any thoughts?

Pulling a camper trailer with the bike alone, the best I averaged was 100 miles and need gas now. I’m thinking the side car mileage will be similar. I will be interested in hearing what other mods you find helpful/ necessary as you get more road time on this rig.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 03:08:51 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, drdwb. That Terraplane should be a sweet rig. Lee Does nice work. He has made the lower mounts for my last three Guzzi tonti sidecar builds. I would recommend some 7:33 gears for the rig. I actually got better gas mileage on my 2003 aluminum build with California Friendship II sidecar, with the 7:33 gears. I would average about 34 -35 mpg. It was a "hydro" , and made a fine tug.  I just added a shinko rear tire running backwards on the front, and also went back to" mini apes" that come oem on the 98 EV, for more comfort, since it steers better with that new front tire. 
Good luck with your Terraplane build, post some photos when you get a chance.
Rick.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here