Author Topic: Breva 750 tank paint bubbles  (Read 309 times)

Offline Tim Henry

• Gosling
Breva 750 tank paint bubbles
« on: March 20, 2023, 07:57:47 PM »
Tommorrow morning I'm heading out to look at a 04 b750 for sale for a friend of mine to see if it has any major faults. It does have major bubbles on the top of the tank that have been slit and glued (looks like crap)otherwise the pics look good the odo indicates around 5k miles. My question is should If I green light it should it be wise to coat the inside and paint and hope it doesn't reappear or hunt out a replacement, I dont remember the product thats recommended to seal it.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Breva 750 tank paint bubbles
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 10:25:05 PM »
The Breva 750s have plastic (Nylon) fuel tanks that are affected negatively by ethanol fuels.  The alcohol or water that the alcohol attracts damages the Nylon, causing it to expand if used for long periods or in the likely case of the Breva 750 under discussion, to have been stored for years with ethanol fuel in the tank.  One effect is to cause the tank to swell in such a way as to make re-fitment on the frame a bit of bother. 

Pure Gas sponsors a website showing all the gas stations in the USA and Canada that sell various grades (octane) of non-ethanol fuels.  My '04 Breva 750 has never been stored with ethanol gas and its former owners apparently were also very fussy about that.  Texas has many gas stations that sell non-ethanol fuel.  One is less than 3 miles from my home near Austin.  90 octane non-ethanol fuel is about $3.79 a gallon today.

As to what to do with this bike, does it start and run?  If not, your friend can avoid it or bid it down significantly based now on your knowledge of the effects of ethanol fuel.  If it's sat too long, the injectors likely are blocked with gelled gasoline
I'd offer $1500 for it.
Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline Tim Henry

• Gosling
Re: Breva 750 tank paint bubbles
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 05:58:46 AM »
We passed on it the owner said he'll keep it and put a tank cover  on it or take it to Watkins glen and throw it on a bon fire  if he didn't get $2995 for it . Fine with me its his  I don't give 2 turds about it anyway but it's a shame to do that to a otherwise good looking bike from the side

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here