Author Topic: Calvin brain trust, please school me  (Read 62967 times)

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
Re: Calvin brain trust, please school me
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2015, 09:07:03 PM »
The rear drive is different in that the splines stick out farther than on an EV or most anything else. There is a longer spacer also, the one that pushes into the drive. Places the whole assembly about 1/2" to the left.
Different axle, brake holder and another added spacer by the brake. Only Guzzi would make 6 new parts to install a cheaper wheel.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2015, 07:28:47 AM »
All I can tell you is I used the stock calvin axle, caliper hanger, rear drive, pressed in rear drive spacer. I installed the 98 EV tubeless wire wheel, and it all fit perfect. The wheel is centered relative to the fender and centerline of the bike. The bike does not pull to either side with hands off. Through the gap I can see the splines are fully engaged. The CalVin has the special frame and lower rails that pushes the entire engine and transmission 1/2" to the right, so that the swingarm could be 1/2" to the right (that 1/2" number is approx). With the rear drive moved to the right, and the extended spline coming out of the rear drive (extended to the left), the wheel ends up being centered.

Am I concerned about some small front to rear misalignment (if there is any)? No. When I was racing inorder to get a 4"x18" rear astralite wheel into a notched but narrow short swingarm, I moved the wheel to the right 10mm or .4". My race bike while it would tend to fall to the right if ridden no hands, never wobbled...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2015, 01:41:04 PM »
That's what I wanted to hear. I am having to do some interesting offset for my sidecar rig and was hoping it isn't a big issue. Have done a bunch of research on how different parts were used to fit the skinny tube type rims
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2015, 06:45:41 AM »
Realized I was never going to be comfortable on the stock saddle as the step up to the passenger section was too far forward and pushed me too far forward. Having done a $350 Sargents saddle rework on a number of bikes with limited success, I figured I'd go the local auto upholstery shop and see what they could do. This cost me $40. The guy made me do the initial carving on the foam, that way I couldn't complain...

He reused the original cover obviously. Sort of reminds me of the rework the factory did on later Cali II's to move their passenger bump back.

SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2015, 06:45:41 AM »

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2015, 07:08:12 AM »
Have been thinking alot about how to solve the wind buffeting around my head and helmet. The CalVin comes with an abreviated windscreen in the lower regions and I think that is the cause. This is so it clears the stock directionals and stock running lights. I decided to try a different route up front. Partly because I am a contrarian, but for other technical reasons. The driving lights had to go, one because they suck up too much juice, and two because of weight. I did want to preserve some of that look, and so I decided to replace them with some tractor trailer style lights (this is the contrarian part, most folks go with tiny little turn signals). This allowed me to remove the stock directionals, but made for a large gap below the windscreen. I was going to have a custom windscreen made, or find an undrilled harley style, but after looking at this a bunch. I decided to go with the auxilary wind deflector route. I know some are available from various sources (>>$100), but I didn't want any that mounted on the fork tubes as I have mine moved all they way up to lower the bike, and have no room for attaching them below the lower triple clamp. For $7 in stainless steel angle brackets from mcmaster carr (PN 1556A65) and a $15 piece of lexan from home depot, and some stainless nuts, bolts and washers I had kicking around I did the following. All I can say is it has cured the helmet buffeting...

SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2015, 08:30:24 PM »
 ;-T on the lowers, looks like a great job and will certainly help with the buffeting, nicely done. looks good too. I made almost the exact same thing but with chicken wire and LOADS of black gaffa tape from the bottom of the screen to the spots a few years ago on my Calvin... it looked absolutely awful but really helped with the buffeting...

then I found a swannee, which doesn't look great but is absolutely the bees knees for countering buffeting at any speed and a useful place for putting stickers of every country that you go through...

nice work

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2015, 06:49:02 AM »
is it the H&H from Harpers?
http://www.harpermoto.com/h-and-h-handlebar-mount-fairing.html
How does it mount?
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2015, 02:57:02 AM »
the H&H from Harpers is a good reproduction of the Swannee, not quite as strong as the original swannees, ie will flex a tiny bit over 90mph. It mounts on the handlebars and upper forks. Excellent functionality....

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #158 on: May 15, 2015, 03:57:11 PM »
CORBIN arrived. Zero miles...
The seat back for the driver is moved back relative to stock, and it feels firm like Corbin's do. Can't wait...

IMG_1204 by mtiberio, on Flickr

IMG_1205 by mtiberio, on Flickr
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2015, 03:54:19 PM »
$13 ebay "corbin" compatible backrest. No doubt chinese, but it works now that I assembled the mounting post to the pad correctly and added an adjustment stop bolt and locknut.

SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2015, 10:52:59 PM »
decided to replace them with some tractor trailer style lights

I like 'em.  Got the LAPD look of an old loop frame Ambassador or El Dorado.
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #161 on: June 04, 2015, 06:55:28 AM »
I like 'em.  Got the LAPD look of an old loop frame Ambassador or El Dorado.

tnx, the bike came with aux lights on those mounts, so I was trying to preserve some of the "look"
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #162 on: June 04, 2015, 08:41:49 AM »
Am I the only one that finds a stock CalVin to be a beautiful bike. The tube steel wheels give it the vintage look it should have.
So I'm going to refrain from saying more cause momma said if ya can't say anything nice do t say anything at all!

And yes I do understand a few small changes like better seat and taller shield.
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2015, 08:53:54 AM »
like I said, if I could have found a front wire wheel in tubeles for a reasonable price, it would have gone on. as it is I had the lester mag sitting in my garage, and it fit. The rear is still wire (although now tubeless) and I'll continue to try and find a matching front.
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2015, 03:02:30 PM »
I don't have a problem with tube-type wheels, either. Tubeless is nice for lighter weight and such, but the ease of flat repair part is really not a whole lot different from one to another. I guess its all about what makes you comfortable...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2015, 07:02:20 PM »
I think the Lester mag looks better than the Guzzi tubeless spoked wheels, for some reason those have always looked just a bit wonky to me.
Don't take anything I say about a CalVin to personal, I'm just a diehard lover of a stock one. Beauty over function is my personal choice on this particular bike. Love mine and have fun with yours!
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Online john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:35:40 PM by john fish »
He lost the run of himself.

Offline myway

• Hatchling
« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2015, 01:55:53 PM »
Cwizeman I'm with you mines all stock the seat is fine for me. but I see that as a very personal thing....

could we go over the oil filter change mine was serviced by the dealer I've got 1 oil change under my belt. I have the realgaskets silicone pan gasket an I have some oil dripping from the 4 bolts not the pan gasket so did I miss something maybe a little sealer on the threads or what. an this did not show up right away.. I looked on a parts diagram no orings or anything I could see.

I'm working 13hr shifts got married an bought a new house very busy an my calvin dripping is not what i want to see. Dan

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2015, 07:19:22 AM »
hmmm, never had a drip from the 4 internal bolts of a pan. You have a leak and you are using a non-oem oil pan gasket? I'd go back to an OEM pan gasket then.
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Online john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2015, 04:35:28 PM »
I've got the Plexifairing 2 on the Jackal.  It really does a fantastic job.  Looks like they've moved onto the 3:

http://www.nationalcycle.com/plexifairing-hd.html

Here's a thread on ADVRider about the 3:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302190

He lost the run of himself.

Offline myway

• Hatchling
« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2015, 05:00:43 PM »
ok oil leak from 4 bolts is from not being snug enough I didn't want to over tighten when I put it on it has not leaked until now. an I had not remembered how the gasket worked around those bolts.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2015, 08:27:17 AM »
ok oil leak from 4 bolts is from not being snug enough I didn't want to over tighten when I put it on it has not leaked until now. an I had not remembered how the gasket worked around those bolts.

gasket had tabs or extensions that extend inward from periphery in order to seal the areas under the two pairs of long bolts.
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2015, 01:21:02 PM »
The front had an interesting twist. When I examined the OEM front wheel, I assumed that the factory used the same front wire wheel hub that had been using since the first front disc brakes bikes since 1974. Assuming that I figured that the Lester Mag which is machined to those same specs, and is made to use the standard 300mm rotors/bearing carriers and inter bearing spacer, would be able to use the more modern 320mm rotor/bearing carriers and inter bearing spacer. From this picture, you can see it did work.

That wheel looks great on that bike!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #174 on: June 30, 2015, 07:24:50 PM »
http://www.brandsport.com/toy-90033-41020.html

Hey Mike,

This is the bolt that plugs the crossover bung when removing the O2 sensor.

Cam
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #175 on: July 03, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »
I realize I go on and on about how the CalVin doesn't fit me. One would wonder why I continue to own it... Well I'm getting closer to making it comfortable for me.

I have never liked how the brake pedal intruded into the right floorboard space (and was not far enough forward). If I had it adjusted high enough so I could slip my foot under it, operation of the brake became compromised (high latency, imprecise pressure, etc). Today, I had a buddy who is deft at heat and metal straighten out the brake lever. This moves the pedal inboard (and forward slightly). I haven't riden the bike yet, but garage fitment test are all positive. I can put my foot in a natural place on the floor board, and because the pedal is lower, I can easily pivot my foot on the heel to operate the pedal. My buddy did minimal damage to the chrome as well. win win.

SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2015, 06:47:56 AM »
Yes, win win. I drove the bike about 100 miles on 7/4 to the local flat track races. my right foot is now free to use the entire floorboard. As a matter of fact it hits the crashbar before my shin hits the more forward right valve cover. I don't think the left side would benifit from a similar mod to the shifter, as the more rearward left cylinder forces the left leg to splay, and moving the forward end of the shifter inboard would be counter productive. What the shifter could benefit from is having either end bent downward. That way both the forwrd and rearward (downshift and upshift) pegs could be closer to the floorboard requiring less lift of the foot to operate...
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #177 on: July 11, 2015, 12:48:20 PM »
took my shift lever to my buddy with the torch. we worked some more mojo on it. straightened the dog leg left moving the forward peg inboard, and bent the forward arm downward, allowing me to keep my toe on the floorboard during up shifts and my heel on the board during down shifting. inch by inch I will make this bike fit me...

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:08:24 PM by mtiberio »
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2015, 02:11:16 PM »
wanted a backrest to go with the Corbin, but didn't want to spend $200. $13 from ebay. problem is the foam was too thich and pushed me forward. Unzipped the cover, and found the foam could be cut with a hacksaw. Carved it in two front to back, and placed the carved off piece behind the post and wood frame. Zipped the cover back on and it is now perfect...

SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH

Offline myway

• Hatchling
« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2015, 10:34:03 AM »
    Hello all  this is about the calvin windshield. I'll just get to the point I think the owners of a calvin will see it an if for them might try it.

I took the top mounting bolts out the one that determine the angle our rake of the windshield, moved the windshield back at the top increasing the angle or getting the top of the windshield closer to my nose and drilled new holes I hade to remove the windshield itself to do this. maybe with a small drill or angle head this would not need to be done.

I had trouble seeing over my windshield which was my biggest complaint and as a benefit I'm in cleaner an quieter air. now that I have done it I may try some more.  so an option I have not seen anybody talk about before looks very natural. Dan

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here