Author Topic: What Are The Differences Between Loop Frame Dist. And Tonti Frame Distributor?  (Read 6013 times)

Offline stuck amals

• New Egg
Will a single point distributor physically fit in a later T3 engine?  Are the mounting points the same?

Are the distributor drive gears the same?

Are there any surprises I might encounter if I try using a single point distributor in a later T3/Convert block?

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
To physically fit, the single-point distributor will need to be from an Eldorado or at least you should use the base from an Eldorado or you can use the V700/Ambassador distributor and a reducing ring to downsize the hole in the engine case (this is what Guzzi did on the very last of the Ambassadors). The reason I say this is the V700/Ambassador distributor base has a smaller diameter "step" on it than the Eldorado one or the dual-point timer.

The drive gears are different - you'll need to swap the gear from the dual-point timer to the single-point distributor.

You may need to recurve the advance of the single-point distributor to suit the needs of the T3 engine. This could be as simple as a different set of springs.
Charlie

Offline stuck amals

• New Egg
Thank you for the very informative post.

I wasn't aware of the 3rd type of dustributor. I have 4 or 5 single point distributors. I will check to see if they are from an Eldo or Ambassador.

It is good to know the gears are interchangeable.

I hadn't thought about the advance curve. I plan on using a Tonti style crank  w/adapter for the generator and an Eldo cam.

Might need to start a new thread.
My goal is to use an engine with an oil filter on a loop frame Guzzi.

I

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Thank you for the very informative post.

I wasn't aware of the 3rd type of dustributor. I have 4 or 5 single point distributors. I will check to see if they are from an Eldo or Ambassador.

It is good to know the gears are interchangeable.

I hadn't thought about the advance curve. I plan on using a Tonti style crank  w/adapter for the generator and an Eldo cam.

Might need to start a new thread.
My goal is to use an engine with an oil filter on a loop frame Guzzi.

I

The distributors themselves are all the same, only the base is different - early (V700/Ambassador) and late (Eldorado). Like I said the difference in the base is the diameter of the "step" that fits into the hole of the engine case.

If you're going to use the Eldo cam, then you won't need to swap gears on the single-point distributor.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here