Author Topic: Symtec Heated Grips on V7  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Siggy Javotnik

• New Egg
Symtec Heated Grips on V7
« on: October 19, 2015, 07:12:48 PM »
~$50, Chinese made, heated grip pads with adhesive to stick to your bar. The instructions contain the sentence: "the switch circuit is transposed." Until I took the V7 on a test-ride, I didn't understand that to mean: "our schematic is wrong." Low is High and vice versa. It's already heat-shrinked up, so I'm just going to live with it. Not the end of the world, but it makes no sense -- JUST FIX YOUR SCHEMATIC. The grips work great for a V7, because that bike comes with an easily accessible switched 12V source near the headlight, a green connector that's meant for a TomTom GPS. I cut the connector off and posi-locked the hot wire (orange) and hooked the grips' ground wire to blue. Had some trouble getting the clutch side grip flush to the controls, but I'm guessing my local shop's compressed air gun might help (I didn't use hairspray as recommended elsewhere, and I'm kicking myself -- go buy some Aquanet and save your hands and hair-dryer the trouble). Finally, don't believe the instructions about the heat shrink being only-for-aluminum bars -- any metal bar will be a huge heat-sink, so be sure to melt the heat-shrink on the clutch-side bar. I don't have a heat gun, but my wife's hair-dryer worked fine.  :bike-037:
2022 V85TT Adventure
2004 Triumph Thruxton
1977 Lambretta Serveta Jet 200

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
Re: Symtec Heated Grips on V7
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 07:32:33 AM »
Great if the GPS power outlet works for you, but I'd be concerned because 1) the circuit is fused at 15A and also powers the headlight (4.6A low beam, 5A high beam, but 9.6A when you hit the "passing" button while the low beam is on), and 2) the wires leading to the GPS outlet are pretty thin.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here