Author Topic: lowered my instrumentation and headlight on V7C!  (Read 25330 times)

Offline zaoguzzi

• Hatchling
Re: lowered my instrumentation and headlight on V7C!
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 12:34:31 PM »
Thanks, Perazzimx14!  And thanks for the tip. 

fkpaul in Australia, I imagine yours will take longer to arrive but I'll cross my fingers.

muzak, I have one more left, $195 + $20 shipping and it's all yours.

I'm glad this seems to be working out.

Ben
Ben
Seattle, WA
2010 V7 Classic
Yamaha XT250

v7classic

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »
Ben, rec'd my lowering bracket  today and what a PROFESSIONAL JOB !  Will get around to mounting it in the near future, sounds easy !  GREAT PART !

fkpaul

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 09:33:55 PM »
oooh, I'm looking forward to receiving mine now, thanks zaoguzzi !
It will take 2 or 3 weeks to get here. I'll post pics once done.

Perazzimix...  :PICS!:

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 05:27:33 AM »
oooh, I'm looking forward to receiving mine now, thanks zaoguzzi !
It will take 2 or 3 weeks to get here. I'll post pics once done.

Perazzimix...  :PICS!:

Pictures are only going to make your wait longer, but you asked for them!

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 05:27:33 AM »

fkpaul

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2012, 06:41:58 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Thanks mate. Yes... now the wait begins...  :food

fkpaul

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 01:33:19 AM »
Installed my bracket today. Here are some before (left) and after (right) shots.

The bracket fabrication is really professional. It's solid and nicely finished. Installation would have been super easy, though mine took a little longer than 30 min as I have some after-market indicators (i.e. metal ones, not the OEM plastic ones) and I had to unwire/ rewire my connector fittings etc.

The clock angle looks just great now, not the mickey mouse ears they used to be. Viewability of the clocks are not adversely affected, though with the idiot lights recessed into the instrument panel they aren't as obvious as when they are in the stock position - not a bad thing... I like it. Also, I need to fiddle a little bit more to get the l/h lower bolt hole lined up correctly, but not a huge deal.

Thanks again zaoguzzi, I'm really happy with the result!  ;-T

muzak

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 06:44:48 AM »
fkpaul, digging your V7. What mirrors are you using? I plan to install my bracket this weekend. One mod you might consider to clean-up the handlebar area is the riser/bar clamp from the Breva. It fits the V7 as well. I painted mine black (I have the black Laverda Jotta Clubman bars) and it looks very sharp. Just thought I'd pass that a long.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 06:48:06 AM »
Nice modification.  It does improve the look, and should make the instruments easier to see.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

fkpaul

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 08:04:40 AM »
Hey Muzak

Thanks for the comment about the bike. Thanks for the tip regarding the Breva handlebar mount, I'll definitely consider it ! First I've got to deal with a very frustrating issue with the bike at the moment, its a fueling or electrical issue and I'm bending all my spare attention to its diagnosis and remediation haha. It even has my local Guzzi expert stumped. Ah, the joys of owing motorcycles, even modern ones...

The mirrors I'm using are Tanax Napoleon Baren AA. I'm not sure if they are still widely available, I picked mine up from my local motorcycle shop. I was originally going to go for bar ends like everyone else, but instead opted to go with the more conventional mount as I do a lot of lane splitting/ filtering through heavy urban traffic. While bar ends are great in certain circumstances, squeezing through tight rows of stationary vehicles be not one of them.

Franco

fkpaul

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 03:23:16 AM »
One more thing Muzak, given you are installing your bracket soon - when I installed mine, I had a wee bit of trouble lining up the bottom right bolt to the fork brace bolt holes. In my efforts I almost cross threaded the bolt.

If you do end have the same issue, suggest you start by centering and bolting the two bottom ones first, and then finish with the two top ones. Just my 2c.

muzak

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 06:59:08 AM »
Hey thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to do it that way the first time just in case.

Offline zaoguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »
Right on, fkpaul, looking sharp!

Ben
Seattle, WA
2010 V7 Classic
Yamaha XT250

Offline zaoguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 10:35:01 PM »
I found it a bit like changing a flat tire on a car - you can't torque one bolt all the way down and hope to get the other holes to all line up.

You need to put on all 4 lightly, and tighten them incrementally in a rotation so they all get torqued down equally.  (To be fair, I found putting on the stock bracket to be that way as well.)

Hey, I told a couple guys I'd have the second batch by now, but the lasercutting guy is slower than I guessed.  Sorry.  I am told I will have them in my hand Friday, so I'll be mailing Saturday or Monday if that's the case?  Thanks so much for your patience!

Ben

Ben
Seattle, WA
2010 V7 Classic
Yamaha XT250

muzak

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 08:13:39 AM »
^
That's what I did, no issues. Everything turned out and looks great. Easy install.

It's one of those mods that no one will take notice it's not stock, but overall it makes the bike look a bit better by creating a horizontal line across the top.

Offline zaoguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2012, 04:55:17 PM »
got some CAD drawings for the curious:

Ben
Seattle, WA
2010 V7 Classic
Yamaha XT250

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2012, 05:18:42 PM »
Cool!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

fkpaul

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 04:12:23 AM »
I gotta say, having lived with the mod for a wee while now, I love it. Like muzak said, it's such a subtle thing, and only other V7 owners might spot the difference. To me I love those clocks being at a flatter angle, the bike feels 'more classic' hahaha. Thanks again zaoguzzi, good work.

Offline zaoguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »
Ugh.  Hey, I need to get these out of my shop!  I better lower the price to $175.  Which makes me feel weird about a handful of people that had to pay $195 - I don't know whether to say "tough nuggies, that's how it goes" or try to make it up to you or what.  Give me a call if you feel screwed.

(I'm working on a fender eliminator next, I could give those folks $20 off that!)

Anyway, if you're on the fence, hopefully this will push you over, I need to wrap up this project and move on.

Ben

Ben
Seattle, WA
2010 V7 Classic
Yamaha XT250

Kazicht

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2012, 03:40:51 PM »
Loving your set up. I noticed that you have the official MG tank pad grips on your bike. Any tips on where I could find a pair?

Oh, and I look forward to your work with the fender eliminator also!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 06:45:28 PM by Kazicht »

Offline zaoguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2012, 02:15:49 PM »
I tried to send you a PM, but not sure if it worked.

I got the tank grips at Moto International, but I don't think they come through that often.  They pulled me aside, like "hey, we got one set of these as a fluke, you want 'em?"  Not sure if they are easy to find.  They were expensive, too!

I'll keep you posted on the fender elim!

Loving your set up. I noticed that you have the official MG tank pad grips on your bike. Any tips on where I could find a pair?

Oh, and I look forward to your work with the fender eliminator also!
Ben
Seattle, WA
2010 V7 Classic
Yamaha XT250

pokeyjoe

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2012, 02:54:17 PM »
I noticed that you have the official MG tank pad grips on your bike. Any tips on where I could find a pair?

MG part number 897021.  You can order them from AF1racing.  US$66.

Offline zaoguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »
Hey, gentleman, it's weird, some folks have had no trouble at all attaching the bracket and others have.  Specifically, a couple folks wished some of the holes were slotted, rather than round.  I've also figured out that having the holes at fixed points forces the triple clamp plate into a certain position - for instance, it comes from the dealer flush with the top of the forks, but in my case I feel I have better turn in with the plate lowered about 1/2" from the top of the forks.  

Anyway, I don't want to be forcing anyone to change their desired triple clamp plate height (and I also suspect Moto Guzzi is not speccing these things out to the gnat's ass - gasp! - I believe there are different measurements between identical stock bikes.)  So without trying getting to the bottom of it, and following some detailed advice from Carl Allison (thanks, Carl!) I have lengthened the upper bolt holes on the remaining pieces (well, I haven't yet, but I can in about 20 minutes if anyone orders one.) I want to make sure this is an easy installation job, and I don't want anyone worried about fit.

Happy November, folks, I hope you're all still riding!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:36:31 AM by zaoguzzi »
Ben
Seattle, WA
2010 V7 Classic
Yamaha XT250

ryanburke

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2012, 06:50:47 PM »
Picked this up from Ben and installed it today.  I have a 2011 Classic with clip-ons and it fit great with no issues.  Like others had said, it's made insanely well - looks factory. 
Thanks Ben!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Offline zaoguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2012, 10:38:28 AM »
Awesome, Ryan!

I rattlecanned my headlight bucket black, but your photo makes me want to go back to chrome.  grrr - it never ends...

Ben
Ben
Seattle, WA
2010 V7 Classic
Yamaha XT250

sjohniom

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2012, 12:55:18 AM »
Ben, do you have any of these brackets left?

Thanks,

Steve

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2012, 04:50:51 AM »
Ben, do you have any of these brackets left?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Check out the classifieds. He has them listed there.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Aldo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Ton-Up"
'19 RE Interceptor, 98' Cali EV, 95 Duc 900SS
GONE: '72 Eldo,'75 Convert,'04 Thruxton,'89 Guzzi Cafe,'99 Duc 900SS,'79 Guzzi 1000 'SP'ort,'14 Harley '48','12 V7 Stone,'72 Benelli 650S,'82 Guzzi 1000SP,'72 N. Falcone,'75 T3 850,'00 V11S,'78LeMans 1,'89 LeMans,'76 Morini 350S,'89 Duc 750S,'01 Kaw W650

Offline zaoguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »
Sorry, guys, I've been slammed at work at haven't been able to check out the forum!

Steve, bear with me, I saw your post, I'll get back to you in a day or two.

Yeah, that Ebay ad is mine, although it hasn't yielded a single sale.
Ben
Seattle, WA
2010 V7 Classic
Yamaha XT250

Offline zaoguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2012, 11:10:22 PM »
Hey, since the moderators said the photo uploader was down, we had to use a photo hosting site, which I'd never used in my life.  I guess it's not rocket science, but I don't brave new technological frontiers very often.

Anyway, I randomly picked Shutterfly, because I wanted post some pictures of a new fender eliminator I was trying to sell on another thread, and in very short order I had what looks to me almost like a real website!  (Maybe not to you, but I am easily impressed.)

So it's finally a good place to compile the various photos of this gauge lowering bracket in this thread.  (Photos that I haven't really managed very well up to this point...)  And thanks, moderators, for pushing me out of my comfort zone and making me learn about photohosting sites!  Who knew.

http://v7cfendereliminator.shutterfly.com/pictures
Ben
Seattle, WA
2010 V7 Classic
Yamaha XT250

Offline zaoguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2013, 12:04:03 PM »
Hey, because folks have different heights set for their triple clamp plates, that caused about 30% of you to need the mounting holes in a different place.  (If you didn't want to move your plate.)

We are in the third batch of product now, and that problem has been addressed.  I replaced the hole with a vertical slot, to accomodate various plate heights relative to your forks.  You may have seen earlier in this thread a couple guys had to drill out new holes (thanks, guys, sorry) but that won't come up anymore.

The ad is in the classified section, or just contact me:

ben@zaogardening.com
206 595 2793
$180 plus shipping

shipping is $15 in the US, or more overseas, call for a quote

Thanks!

Ben
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:01:40 PM by zaoguzzi »
Ben
Seattle, WA
2010 V7 Classic
Yamaha XT250

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here