Author Topic: Need some info on the 2014 Stelvio  (Read 3023 times)

Offline ywgbandit

• New Egg
Need some info on the 2014 Stelvio
« on: June 19, 2017, 09:10:46 PM »
I'm 1000 miles away from home right now on a motorcycle trip with a buddy and my wife contacts me about a 2014 Stelvio NTX for sale. The guy needs cash to buy a house and wants a quick sale.
She knows I've always wanted a Guzzi but I was looking at the Norge, not the Stelvio. The bike only, has 10k kilometres on it. And a friend of mine knows the guy who's selling the Stelvio and says he takes good care of his stuff.
I know they improved the suspension on the Norge in 2015, is that the same for the Stelvio?
Would the 2014 Stelvio have the higher output 8V GT engine like the 2015 Norge?
Do they come with a trunk bag?
Can I get more street oriented tires in the size the Stelvio has?
Will the Stelvio handle the twisties?...I live in the mountains of BC Canada....lots of twisties!
Any comments and observations would be appreciated!
HELP!!!!
I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!

pete roper

Re: Need some info on the 2014 Stelvio
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 10:26:05 PM »
By 2014 all the 1200 engines were identical. Stelvio was always an 8V motor, Norge had an earlier variant with the old 2V pushrod donk. All it's likely to need is the swingarm bearings and linkage bearings greasing and as long as it's tuned properly it will be ready to go.

The NTX should come with all the fruit, including a trunk I believe, as standard. There are lots of road tyre's to be had in stock Stelvio sizes and if you want to mix it up you can buy a set of the Alloy wheels used on the non NTX models for about $500 and throw discs, tyre's and ABS rings on 'em and have a more 'Street' orientated Stelvio.

How do they handle? Surprisingly well. Not in the same league as the Griso but they're a great two-up bike and dance remarkably well for a fat girl!

Pete

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:54:53 PM »
I had a 2014 Stelvio NXT. Great touring bike. Rode it 16,000 miles - one trip to the east coast and two trips to the west coast, from Colorado. Many other trips. Comfortable touring bike. On the east coast trip we did two 600 mile days - no problem. On the way home we rode Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, The Dragon (both ways) and Cherahala Parkway, plus numerous other routes such as Little Switzerland. Great bike on the twisties - goes where you tell to, holds the line, and comes right back out.

I traded it, reluctantly, for a V7II, which I love. The Stelvio was getting too big for me; I have short legs, a light build, and am getting older.

BTW, It did not come with a top case, but you can get one from a dealer or Twisted Throttle.
Change to plugs and caps to NGK and fuse the driving lights, if those things have not been done.
I ran Pirelli Scorpion Trails which are an 90/10 or 80/20. The tire sizes are the same as the pre-water 1200 GS. 
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 11:27:41 PM »
I haven't owned a Stelvio, but I sold them and rode them - including the 2014 model.

There are a fair number of tires to choose from, including ones that are 95% street / 5% off-road (really for rough roads, not off-road). I'd suggest the Michelin Pilot Road Trail as an example. The Stelvio is remarkably good in the twisties, and feels much more sporty than something this tall has a right to. I used to live in Edmonton, and had relatives in BC, so I know the roads you're talking about. I'd buy a Stelvio in a second for them.

In North America, the 2014 was all the NTX model - side bags standard, trunk an option. It has an 8.5 gallon (US) tank, about 32 litres. It has the 8v engine (rollerised in case you wondered), Marzocchi forks and a Sachs shock - all the mandatory stuff is already done from the factory, where on a 2012 and earlier you'd have some homework. The published power output differs slightly from the Norge of the same period, but in the real world I defy anyone to tell the difference. As I recall, the Stelvio is actually rated a couple ponies higher.

The only issue on the 2014, as on pretty much all NTX Stelvios, is that the driving lights can short out. When they do, they take out one of the main 30 amp fuses and leave you at the side of the road scratching your head. The fix for this is easy, and can be simple/cheap (add insulation to the wiring) or moderately to seriously expensive (change out the lights for better ones, from Amazon LED basics up to serious money LED specialty units.

Many owners of this vintage of bike do nothing more; others update the ECM mapping using Guzzidiag to improved maps. As Pete said, the critical thing is swingarm lube if not already done. If you're going to cross streams, consider adding a breather extension tube to the CARC breather valve, using a banjo fitting and a line run up under the seat.

Think of it as a sport bike that will take you on pavement to your favorite fishing stream - and then will let you follow it upstream away from the tourists!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:28:27 PM by ITSec »
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 11:27:41 PM »

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 02:32:32 AM »
And there is no bike better for two up riding then this one.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 04:30:41 AM »
Twisties?
Stelvio eats them. Truly a fun 500lbs pet elephant, which is surprisingly nimble in twisties. I have 2014, great bike to do touring. Stock tires are great on road, I went to different ones due to gravel roads.
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 06:38:35 AM »
To the original poster-  have you ever owned a Guzzi? Your initial post implies that you have not.

You will likely have issues to sort out with a Guzzi as many, many posts on this site indicate.

Aside from these Guzzi characteristics, the Stelvio is a great-performing machine. Many tire choices are out there for the Stelvio but many of the "dual sport" tires fitted to these bikes, such as the factory-issue Pirellis, are very competent for road use.

I advise that you be open to the prospect of taking a few dirt road excursions which the Stelvio handles with aplomb.  Exploring off road can provide some of the best of motorcycling experiences.

The Stelvio will run quite well on a curvy road.  As with any motorcycle, the key component affecting this capability is the nut that holds the handlebars. :)

I recommend a search of this site for things to be aware of.  The '14 model already has the roller lifter update and, I think, the better clutch as used on the 1400. 

I do not hold myself out as an expert but I have lived with a Stelvio for 5 years now.  I recently compiled a partial list of my postings concerning issues and procedures with the bike -

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=88274.msg1395347#msg1395347

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:20:54 AM by leafman60 »

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 12:23:01 PM »
Check out Peter's  (pyoungbl on this site) 2012 Stelvio in classifieds.  If I didn't already have a Stelvio and some farkles on it, I would be on that yesterday.  It's got all the right mods...
Steve
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »

This is from last Saturday, at my Daughter's wedding. She allowed me to come wearing my roper cowboy boots, since I would be riding the bike. Tucked my jacket into one pannier. I am breaking in the engine, and with only 300 miles, have a bit more to go... the 100 mile round trip from my place helps along those lines. The bike is a stock 2016, just as it comes from the dealer, and I think it is unchanged from the '14. I have had several BMW R1150's, and this Stelvio is surprisingly more comfortable and nimble. I am very entranced with everything about it. As I understand it, Moto Guzzi is discontinuing the model as of this year, so my reaction is to say, get the bike! You won't be disappointed, I am sure
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline ywgbandit

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 09:34:38 PM »
I am an aggressive rider in the twisties and currently push my 1250 Bandit to its limits. It is 600 pounds with panniers and trunk bag. My rear tires have no chicken strips, they are worn to the edge. I am concerned that the narrow tires on the Stelvio will be sufficient enough? Where as the Norge has the same size tires as my Bandit. Can wider tires be installed? Can wider rims be purchased. Or are the available tires in the Stelvio size truly capable?

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 09:37:54 PM »
I am an aggressive rider in the twisties and currently push my 1250 Bandit to its limits. It is 600 pounds with panniers and trunk bag. My rear tires have no chicken strips, they are worn to the edge. I am concerned that the narrow tires on the Stelvio will be sufficient enough? Where as the Norge has the same size tires as my Bandit. Can wider tires be installed? Can wider rims be purchased. Or are the available tires in the Stelvio size truly capable?

Good lord. The 150 tires will be fine.  A narrow tire handles better on curves anyway. Quicker steering. Traction is fine.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 04:24:52 AM »
the ntx spoke wheels exist in 5,5/ 180 wide rear. I had that stock, and changed to the 150 because of lighter steering. And wider choice of tyres. Since then bikes like the multistrada went to wider rims so there might be more tyre choice. 
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 06:03:37 AM »
Worry more about sorting-out issues and quality control than the tire size.

Offline ywgbandit

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 04:52:23 PM »
Worry more about sorting-out issues and quality control than the tire size.
I was a helicopter mechanic for a number of years, and I have no problem working on my own machine, but I'm not inclined to purchase something unreliable. Are you saying the Stelvio has reliability issues, or Moto Guzzi in general?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 05:07:17 PM »
I was a helicopter mechanic for a number of years, and I have no problem working on my own machine, but I'm not inclined to purchase something unreliable. Are you saying the Stelvio has reliability issues, or Moto Guzzi in general?

Parts won't need changing *nearly* as often as a helicopter..  :smiley:
Not to worry, they're reliable.. may need a little sorting. Or not. They are a quite capable machine.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline ywgbandit

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 05:50:50 PM »
To the original poster-  have you ever owned a Guzzi? Your initial post implies that you have not.

You will likely have issues to sort out with a Guzzi as many, many posts on this site indicate.

Aside from these Guzzi characteristics, the Stelvio is a great-performing machine. Many tire choices are out there for the Stelvio but many of the "dual sport" tires fitted to these bikes, such as the factory-issue Pirellis, are very competent for road use.

I advise that you be open to the prospect of taking a few dirt road excursions which the Stelvio handles with aplomb.  Exploring off road can provide some of the best of motorcycling experiences.

The Stelvio will run quite well on a curvy road.  As with any motorcycle, the key component affecting this capability is the nut that holds the handlebars. :)

I recommend a search of this site for things to be aware of.  The '14 model already has the roller lifter update and, I think, the better clutch as used on the 1400. 

I do not hold myself out as an expert but I have lived with a Stelvio for 5 years now.  I recently compiled a partial list of my postings concerning issues and procedures with the bike -

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=88274.msg1395347#msg1395347

Thank you for that post. Very informative. Seems there are many little nit picking issues, but they seem easily fixable. If a guy addresses these issues will you end up with a reliable machine? One of the things I like about the Guzzi (and my Bandit) is the lack of electronic gizmos. Most of it is just more stuff to go wrong IMO. I like simple. Fuel injection being the exception to that.

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 05:59:08 PM »
Yes, it's a reliable machine.  A few minor things might need sorting.  I'm sure you're capable, and none of them cost much at all. 

Before my Stelvio I had a '11 Suzuki 1250FA.  Turbine-like power, torque for days.  But very, very boring.  I'm not bored on the Guzzi. 

You needn't worry about handling or traction.  You can get 100% pavement tires like Michelin PR4's if that's your thing. 
Tim

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here