Author Topic: San Antonio Bike Rental  (Read 854 times)

Offline et18

• Hatchling
San Antonio Bike Rental
« on: March 12, 2023, 08:15:31 PM »
I’ll be in San Antonio for a few days later this month and I’m thinking of renting a bike and hitting the Twisted Sisters. Any recommendations for rentals?  Google shows several places but none of them have a great average review.
2014 California Touring
1994 BMW R1100RS
2001 BMW R1200C

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
Re: San Antonio Bike Rental
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 09:55:48 PM »
I rented a Honda CB160 in 1969 when I was in San Antonio for training. I hadn't ridden since September 1968 and was itching to get on a bike, any kind of a bike. I rented the 160 and a short later it quit running. From what I knew later by working in a bike rental shop in Denver at night after being stationed there. We had 160's and 305 Super Hawks. The 160's were prone to valve train failure so I am pretty sure that is what happened. The rental shop tried to get me to pay for the repair, I refused and left. I didn't over rev it nor miss a shift or abuse the bike in any manner. Working in the bike rental shop I saw all kinds of abuse and damage. The Honda dealer down the street kept a pretty good stock of the usual breakage parts for us.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 11:17:25 AM »
Why not just bring your bike?  That is what I do.

You may look for one of those ride sharing apps where individuals rent their personal motorcycles out to help with their payments.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 01:09:32 PM »
I was in the Army, this was a temporary training assignment and on top of that I didn't own a car. At my permanent duty station I had my R50/2 shipped from home Ct to Denver. Cost me a whole $65.   :grin:
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 01:09:32 PM »

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 02:47:41 PM »
Have you checked Riders Share ?  It is a website where people rent out the motorcycle they own.  I've done that a few times. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 02:59:50 PM »
Have you checked Riders Share ?  It is a website where people rent out the motorcycle they own.  I've done that a few times.

Just checked myself (curious), seems like a lot of nice bikes to rent!

In the end, you are renting a bike from a person ... I've had rentals that were great (guy spent some time going over the bike and some tips on settings), and one odd one where the guy acted like I was bothering him (Sat 8am pickup time, buy hey, he agreed to it). 

There may be a "first time renter" discount code they give you as well. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 07:32:58 PM »
I've thought about putting my V7 on the site. They are pretty indestructible so probably couldn't be damaged from aggressive riding other than dumping it. Although would someone else treat it with respect or beat the crap out of it?
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 07:41:58 PM »
I've thought about putting my V7 on the site. They are pretty indestructible so probably couldn't be damaged from aggressive riding other than dumping it. Although would someone else treat it with respect or beat the crap out of it?
kk

I do wonder if someone renting from an individual would treat it decently compared to the stories I hear about rental cars from agencies. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline et18

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 07:53:54 PM »
If you want to deliver your V7 to San Antonio I promise to take care of it, otherwise I'll check out Riders Share, there's a nice FJ1300 on there that would be OK for a couple days.

Thanks for the advice.
2014 California Touring
1994 BMW R1100RS
2001 BMW R1200C

Offline et18

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2023, 08:02:06 PM »
Following up:  I ended up renting a wethead BMW GSA from Riders Share and had a great ride through the Texas hill country.  Didn't get to do the twisted sisters due to time constraints but still had a great ride.  Give the Willow Loop a try if you're ever near Fredericksburg, very beautiful in spring.

I asked the owner about his experience renting to strangers and he said he's only had a couple of problems, everyone else treated the bike well.  This particular bike had 92K on the clock but still ran very well and looked nice. 
2014 California Touring
1994 BMW R1100RS
2001 BMW R1200C

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 04:59:36 AM »
We just get a Harley. They can be rented just about anywhere and are a good setup for me and the missus.  Tried to rent a Gold Wing on three occasions and were never successful.  The ride share idea sounds interesting.  It's nice to hear that you had a good experience with it.

Offline Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 12:22:46 PM »
Following up:  I ended up renting a wethead BMW GSA from Riders Share and had a great ride through the Texas hill country.  Didn't get to do the twisted sisters due to time constraints but still had a great ride.  Give the Willow Loop a try if you're ever near Fredericksburg, very beautiful in spring.

Thanks for the tip.  I will be in Austin for a few days in May and just looked up the Willow Loop.
I found a few different ways on internet to tackle that loop. Which way did you go?
Will probably rent from Revival Cycles.
2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Offline et18

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 07:19:11 AM »
I took Old Willow Road out of Fredericksburg thinking that was the start of the loop.  It isn't the official start but adds about 5 miles of similar road with virtually no traffic.  At the north end of the loop you can take a right on 16 for a few miles and turn left when you see the Enchanted Rock state park sign.  That road takes you through Luckenbach (didn't see Waylon) and back to Fredericksburg.  After a midwestern winter every road down there was great so it's hard to make a wrong turn. 
2014 California Touring
1994 BMW R1100RS
2001 BMW R1200C

Offline Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2023, 10:53:31 AM »
 :thumb:
2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2023, 01:16:51 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I will be in Austin for a few days in May and just looked up the Willow Loop.
I found a few different ways on internet to tackle that loop. Which way did you go?
Will probably rent from Revival Cycles.

I didn't know they rented.  I knew they built custom bikes. 

To the subject, I was in San Antonio last Oct, I went to a multi brand Japanese store, Beemer store and Ducati store, none had a very good selection even by Okla City standards.  Can't speak for the Harley or rental places, just my observation.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2023, 06:05:21 PM »
That's a nice loop...and a stop in Luckenbach is always a fun one.  Was just out there a few weeks ago as well picking up stops on the Grand Tour of Texas ride.

South of Luckenbach as you hang a right out of the town takes you on a nice ride to Sisterdale, you can also stop at the Bat Cave (old Train Tunnel).

46 from Boerne to Bandera is very nice, and then heading back thru Helotes back to San Antonio is also a fun sweeping road.  Breakfast at the OSA in Bandera is a nice easy choice too...

Above Fredericksburg there is a route that takes you to Sandy...similar to the one to Enchanted Rock...great twists and turns.

Of course, there is a wonderful Vintage motorcycle museum in Johnson City...definitely worth a stop.  5 Guzzis in the museum to take a look at, one is a Daytona on loan from Mike at MPH.

Sounds like you had a great time!  Always nice to ride this area.

If you want some GREAT gelato, there's a nice new stop outside of Fredericksburg called Oro Bianco...if I recall it's made from Buffalo milk (I think)...and of course about 50 wineries to choose from, along with a new Whiskey bar on the road...lots of attractions!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 06:06:30 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2023, 02:17:21 PM »
I didn't know they rented.  I knew they built custom bikes.
It seems they participate in the Riders Share program.

That's a nice loop...and a stop in Luckenbach is always a fun one.  Was just out there a few weeks ago as well picking up stops on the Grand Tour of Texas ride.
Thanks for the pointers, PJR.
2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2023, 06:04:11 PM »
There used to be a Sunday/Saturday morning ride from San Antonio to Bandera for breakfast.   Don't know if it still rolls or not. 

There are couple of bike museums in the Hill Country.  The three twisted sister routes.   I like Fredericksburg to stay.  I got a good deal at La Quinta there.  Go to Llano for BBQ, go for the beef ribs.  Of course San Antonio river walk is a geat place to party, I'd spend a night or two there and the head F'burg to base my riding.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here