Author Topic: Audace 1400 - Autonomous Acceleration  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Guzzifan18

• New Egg
Audace 1400 - Autonomous Acceleration
« on: July 25, 2021, 08:49:13 PM »
Hi all, I have a 2016 Audace. Not sure if this is related to the  hanging throttle issue but I'll describe symptoms:

When engine is cold within first 10 mins of riding.
With clutch in, bike stationary at lights engine will accelerate up to 4-5k without any input from the throttle.
I know when its about to occur because I hear the slow build up from idle then up to 5k for a second and return to normal idle.
I've never seen it happen when in gear or after engine is at operating temp.

Mods: Agostini short cans, blocked off SAS tubes.

Many thanks for any info or problem solving jump off points.

jwinwi

Re: Audace 1400 - Autonomous Acceleration
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 05:52:13 AM »
 :shocked:

Offline BobtheBuilder

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 01:11:10 PM »
I have a 2016 audace. I don't think it's the hanging throttle issue as that appears to occur when the bike is hot, (at least from what I've read). I've seen a similar thing happen to my bike when I ran it for a short period (when hot) with the plugs on one side or other diconnected from the coils. I was trying to diagnose a fueling/plug issue - turned out to be neither problem in the end but I did notice that the bike would rev up to 5k by itself. It was as if the bike was trying to clear its throat - sorry can't offer any further help, but you could check the plug side of things.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 01:41:34 PM »
heres a stupid comment to really get the ball rolling....  Is it possible this is a stepper motor issue?

no? I'm an idiot? ok, I will head back under a rock
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 01:41:34 PM »

Offline BobtheBuilder

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 03:39:33 PM »
heres a stupid comment to really get the ball rolling....  Is it possible this is a stepper motor issue?

no? I'm an idiot? ok, I will head back under a rock

I don't believe there is stepper motor to control the idle on the 1400's, but I can see how it could be a demand sensor issue related to the ride-by-wire, but that would usually throw an error code and a yellow light.

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 05:47:54 PM »
I will jump in on this one. I have the same bike and experience something similar. Mine doesn't go quite that high but will go to 2,500 to 3,000 rpm when first started cold. It will at first go to a slightly higher rpm than idle speed but will then climb up to the higher level for 10 seconds or so. The colder the temperature the higher it will go. If it is fairly warm it won't do it at all. I believe the bike is compensating for the cold engine start so that it won't stall. I don't find it to be much of a problem just a bit of an annoyance.

I also have surging mainly between 2 and 3,000 rpm, I keep it out of this rpm range as much as possible. These bikes like to rev so this is not a problem. I will probably take some heat for this but I have reduced this quite a bit with a Booster Plug with no ill effects as some will say it causes. Unfortunately there are no Beetle maps for the 1400. It has been noted that there is the potential to mess up, brick, the ECU on this model so a map isn't available. I hope this helps. I wonder if this is an issue with the Audace as I haven't noticed it with the very few other 1400s I have seen in person. The Audace is a different type of bike, maybe it comes with a different factory map than the more touring 1400 models.
kk
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 05:58:10 PM »
  I too originally used a booster plug and had it in for a few thousand kilometers , liked it .
  I then installed a Beetle map for my 2018 Eldorado ( same bike that had the booster plug) and
  it was a step up and really improved the shifting on mine . Contact him and find out for sure
  that he doesn't have a map to suggest .  Peter

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 06:21:31 PM »
I did, he emailed me that he didn't have one. There was some discussion in another thread that he quit 1400 maps due to some bricking of ECUs. Mine runs well enough to leave it alone for now. It is far better than the Harley I had, a 2017 Softail. Emissions rules have sure messed everything up.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 09:08:48 PM »
my guess is that because of the change to the  vapor recovery system the intake plenum mass air sensor is sending bogus input to the ecu, That coupled with the clutch lever micro switch, that increases idle speed when the clutch is held open to prevent stalling at take off. Did this happen before the mods you mentioned were in place?

Offline Guzzifan18

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 11:53:43 PM »
Hi all thanks for the replies.

Yes this was happening when the bike had no performance mods at all.
I took it for a run last night and it didn't happen.
So to clarify it's an intermittent problem I would have trouble eliciting on demand. 
I'm hoping a remap may help or eliminate the issue. 

Whats symptoms would you see from a blockage in airbox?

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 05:11:42 PM »
The ecu would be trying to trim around an overly rich AFM at idle and would likely run overly lean on more open throttle. Have you checked for oil in the air box drain tube beneath the bike ? Has the air filter been inspected ? If not, I would start there as an oil saturated air filter will reek havoc on the ecu input from multiple sensors. The rising rpms you describe is classic lean condition at idle and could be cause by a multitude of things on this model. With the more open exhaust the lamda input data
 becomes effected and will also cause the ecu to try and trim around the anomaly.

Offline Guzzifan18

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 08:17:20 PM »
Thanks Lucian, I will start at the airbox.   :thumb:

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 04:37:06 PM »
There are 3 ecu maps for the 1400:

California 1400 Euro3         1050CA07   CM228201   2
California 1400 Audace & Touring Euro 4   7505C1AO   CM267201   2
MGX-21 Euro 4      75B8C2AT

I know beetle talked about problems with mapping the c1400, we use the same software with a large number of Aprilia's without problem. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 04:39:44 PM by pauldaytona »
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Guzzifan18

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2021, 01:10:28 AM »

That clear tube with rubber bung in looks like it has engine oil in it.

Is this the tube from Airbox?

Many thanks.

Offline Guzzifan18

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2021, 01:12:51 AM »
Have you investigated whether your bike has an error code stored?

John Henry

No I havent checked this John,  would I find this in dash or thru Guzzidiag?

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2021, 06:15:21 AM »
On my 2018 Eldorado , I know you can find error codes with Guzzidiag . I've generated enough of them by
screwing around and it's found and erased everyone that I corrected afterwards . Peter

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2021, 06:45:19 AM »
That clear tube with rubber bung in looks like it has engine oil in it.

Is this the tube from Airbox?

Many thanks.
Yes that's it, it may need to be drained periodically ,  I would inspect you're air filter as it's possible it could have some degree of oil saturation, That is more oil in your drain tube than I've ever had in mine .  I fill my oil level to around two thirds up to the high mark on the dipstick and find it is happy there with very little oil expulsion to the breather system. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here