Author Topic: Minor "refurb" to v7 Classic  (Read 559 times)

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
Minor "refurb" to v7 Classic
« on: July 27, 2021, 10:53:00 AM »
Over the weekend I re-acquired my old 2011 v7 Classic after a couple years of not having it. It didn't see much use at all in the last 1.5yrs, and lived outside under a cover.

I picked it up on Sun, and it still starts and runs great. I spent a few hours giving it a pretty good detail, and it looks much better again. There are a few cosmetic things to do still, that I need guidance from the hive mind on, but I will attach photos a little later.

It hasn't had an oil change in at least two years, so I'm planning on taking it to AF1 for an actual service soon. It has a tad over 14k miles right now, so according to the schedule it's the fluids and air filter. I'm just wondering what else I should get done to this ten year bike? fork oil, brake fluid (I'm thinking yes), clutch cable (just because it'll already be there), etc.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Minor "refurb" to v7 Classic
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 05:53:33 PM »
Ok, here's a couple of photos/questions:

1. How can I clean up/remove these spots from the valve covers?

2. The exhaust has little black specs all over it. It's not rust colored. I tried scrubbing with a rough sponge while detailing the other day, to no avail. Any ideas?

3. Bonus round. I'm assuming there's nothing to be done about the plastic wearing away on the lid side of the latching mechanism on this HB Junior case? It's still holding when latched for now, but I fear it's days are numbered.

2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Online elrealistico

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 05:57:55 PM »
Chrome is pitted, not much you can do with that. By the look of the valve cover, it was kept under a wet sponge the whole time
2018 V7III Special
1978 T140V Bonneville
2004 EV Touring

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 07:52:38 PM »
BTH,
It might be worth it to have the valve covers blasted by a shop w a cabinet.  After, you can polish, and lacquer. 

For the chrome, rub it w plastic scotch pads (not steel wool, that just rusts again), although the best method is to use bronze wool.  After, some might say to use chrome polish to protect, but I think those pipes will be too hot for that.  Just rub off the rust occasionally.

Joe 
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 07:52:38 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here