General Category > General Discussion

petcock

<< < (6/6)

yogidozer:
I started this thread in hopes that someone made, or knew of a petcock from another bike would work.
Never have run out, I keep track on my odometer. Places I ride seem like gas stations are closed down, or limited hours.
So now I'll just carry these, especially on holidays when gas stations are closed.

https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/luggage/fuel-bottles-and-mounts/msr-30oz-fuel-bottle/

jwinwi:
Minor thread hijack...
If you are going to install manual on/off/ reserve in place of electric petcocks on a carbureted bike (Sport 1100), note that the fuel tank was designed with Reserve... Effective range on Reserve is about 10 miles. :shocked:

yogidozer:

--- Quote from: jwinwi on November 29, 2021, 08:14:58 AM ---Minor thread hijack...
If you are going to install manual on/off/ reserve in place of electric petcocks on a carbureted bike (Sport 1100), note that the fuel tank was designed with Reserve... Effective range on Reserve is about 10 miles. :shocked:

--- End quote ---
My 95 Spot never had, and never will have electric petcocks

lucky phil:

--- Quote from: yogidozer on November 29, 2021, 05:18:27 AM ---I started this thread in hopes that someone made, or knew of a petcock from another bike would work.
Never have run out, I keep track on my odometer. Places I ride seem like gas stations are closed down, or limited hours.
So now I'll just carry these, especially on holidays when gas stations are closed.

https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/luggage/fuel-bottles-and-mounts/msr-30oz-fuel-bottle/

--- End quote ---

Why? what's wrong with the manual version that's already available? No reserve? jamming? (which can be rectified) The manual screw tap is actually a good design just needs a little fettling.
I think you could use any 5/16 outlet tap personally but you would need an adaptor to go from the 5/16 tap outlet to the 12mm pump inlet.

Ciao

yogidozer:

--- Quote from: lucky phil on November 29, 2021, 04:08:32 PM ---Why? what's wrong with the manual version that's already available? No reserve? jamming? (which can be rectified) The manual screw tap is actually a good design just needs a little fettling.
I think you could use any 5/16 outlet tap personally but you would need an adaptor to go from the 5/16 tap outlet to the 12mm pump inlet.

Ciao

--- End quote ---
I have and like the manual one. Where I ride, often gas stations are few and far between.
Thanksgiving I headed for a multistate ride. Thinking gas stations might be closed (they were) I added some gas I had for lawn tractor.
Now my odometer wasn't going to let me know when I was getting close to empty.
Not sure how long after low fuel light came on before sputter---stop.
Brought a camp stove container, but rather have a reserve option.
No big deal, just thought someone might make a on/off/reserve replacement

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version