Author Topic: NGC- RC Helicopter questions  (Read 565 times)

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
NGC- RC Helicopter questions
« on: December 10, 2022, 02:19:22 PM »
Howdy!  Years ago, I bought an RC Helicopter of eBay, and it never flew. There were multiple issues with it, the least of which was the carb was missing from the motor. Bought it from a pawn shop, as-is, and I was an owner. At some point, I stripped it of servos and kept the transmitter, and junked the rest, thinking that I would buy a frame kit and build what I wanted.

Fast forward 20 years... still have a box with the transmitter and servos, and no bird. Frame kits for nitro helicopters are astonishingly expensive- more than a new RTF electric helicopter- and I would still need an engine and other related equipment.  In the ensuing years, my son and I have gone through a few of the smaller, easy to fly versions with limited capabilities. I am looking for a larger one, that is capable of 3D flight at some point. I keep reading that I should start with this, move to this, then get into what I see as a final destination. I own a Guzzi- this means I am thrifty.  Is there a good option that will allow me to gain skills now, then flip the switch and take on acrobatics when I am ready, without having to buy three different ones?

I know some of you guys are into RC planes- any RC helicopter pilots out there with advice?

Ryan

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
Re: NGC- RC Helicopter questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 03:26:30 PM »
My one nitro RC helicopter experiment was not a success, so I don't have a lot to say about that.

Have you considered electric? LiPo batteries and brushless motors are light years ahead of the technology from 20 years ago, ditto for getting a newer radio.

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 04:17:18 PM »
I likely will go electric due to cost and complexity. I am disappointed in the run times, though. Looks like to get in an hour of flight I will need four or five charged batteries at the ready, and swap them out every 10 -12 minutes.

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 09:43:49 PM »
I'm back in to RC gliders after a 20 year hiatus. I'm still flying a 72 mhz computer radio and 20 year old aircraft. Amazed at the skills I've lost. OTOH I usually get an hour out of one battery (if there is any lift).

But all the new stuff seems to be available with onboard gyros and attitude sensors. Most of it seems to have the capability of going from beginner (heavily stabilized) mode to expert with the flip of a switch. Fair amount have rescue buttons that will put the aircraft upright and stable from any unusual attitude.

Seems to me that the helicopters should have followed the trend of fixed wing and multirotor and adopted these features that aid the pilot.

What used to be "magic" is just a matter of adding a few dollars to the price.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 09:43:49 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 08:38:47 AM »
I likely will go electric due to cost and complexity. I am disappointed in the run times, though. Looks like to get in an hour of flight I will need four or five charged batteries at the ready, and swap them out every 10 -12 minutes.

But you can charge them reasonably quickly with the right equipment.

The gyros and such in the new helicopters make them a lot easier to fly. And they don't get exploded as quickly.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 12:38:33 PM »

I had the same thoughts when I started with RC planes. It turns out that 10 minutes feels like an eternity to me when I'm on the controls.

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 12:48:10 PM »
I had the same thoughts when I started with RC planes. It turns out that 10 minutes feels like an eternity to me when I'm on the controls.
.. but if I'm going to organize and pack gear and drive to the club field i want an hour of actual stick time to justify the preliminaries and follow ups.
But like I said, gliders make it relatively easy to get an hour out of a single battery. Modern power systems put me at thermal height in 10 seconds. Then it's a matter of coasting around looking for lift and avoiding sink.  I'm still old school tech. All the newer ships are running Varios that report instantly whether you are gaining or losing altitude.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 12:51:55 PM »
Might there be a club near by? Local hobby shop?  Picking other's brains for current info could save time & money. Pick up an RC magazine. Model Airplane News, in CT still thrives & mixes in helicopters.   R3~

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 01:29:59 PM »
Forget the R/C helicopter. Switch your time and effort to drones these days. Much easier to fly, many more options. I used to work in the R/C industry and the helicopters were too easy to crash and way too expensive to fix.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 01:44:06 PM »
Unless you are racing them or doing videos, drones seem a bit boring. At least the ones I see showing up at our local field. It seems the operators program in a flight and then sit back and watch. The electronics take care of takeoff, flight and landing. Computer deals with the wind and GPS takes care of all positioning. Not much for the operator to do but watch.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here