Author Topic: Fishy Craigslist response- ?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
Fishy Craigslist response- ?
« on: December 17, 2022, 07:55:24 AM »
I got this response for a bike I'm selling. It seems pretty generic. Personally, I respond to an add with something mor like... can you tell me more about the Honda?-

Thoughts?

I saw your ad, Do you still have it? I am available to meet tomorrow at 11:00. Can you meet me tomorrow? My email is <allen.evans175@gmail.com
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
Re: Fishy Craigslist response- ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 08:01:59 AM »
Respond via Craigslist email and see where it goes.  If they’re that special that they’ll only do it their way, they probably won’t be a customer worth knowing in the first place.

I require responders to include a phone number in their reply, stated in the ad along with “I don’t text”. That eliminates 99% of the time wasters and fakers.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 08:04:10 AM »
Personally I will not do business buying or selling without talking to the person on the phone. This allows one to at least get a feel of who they may be dealing with. If someone refuses to allow me to call them or them call me, I don’t trust them, period!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 08:05:11 AM by Ncdan »

Offline aproud1

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 08:10:11 AM »
I agree with Cliffrod. Respond via Craigslist and see where it goes. There are a number of responses along these lines to get an email address for whatever reason or other personal information. There's no reason to contact someone you don't know outside of the Craigslist server response.

In my experience, if some one wants a quick meetup, they will leave a number. If it's some sort of scam they won't.

Good luck with your sale!
In The Car Hole: ‘81 CB650C Basket Case Rehab Bike

The Past: ‘76 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘06 Kawasaki VN750 (pita), ‘18 V7III Milano, '20 V85TT McD, ‘21 Kawasaki W800 (totaled by a drunk dude one fateful morning)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 08:10:11 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 08:21:44 AM »
I got this response for a bike I'm selling. It seems pretty generic. Personally, I respond to an add with something mor like... can you tell me more about the Honda?-

Thoughts?

I saw your ad, Do you still have it? I am available to meet tomorrow at 11:00. Can you meet me tomorrow? My email is <allen.evans175@gmail.com

There has been a lot of fear created around the use of Craigslist.  As a buyer or a seller the other party wanted to meet at a busy gas station.  I never post my phone number or email, and converse through Craigslist until I'm convinced it is legit, then move to phone conversation. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 09:19:46 AM »
Have some faith in humanity, and pick up the phone and call.  I've had great interactions on CL, fly and rides, even sending a cashier's check to a guy in Arkansas for a specific Telecaster I was looking for at a great price.  7 days later the guitar showed up beyond my expectations.  Most people are helpful and honest, social media, etc has made us all overly paranoid and fearful.  Yep, buyer beware is a good motto, but a little bit of conversation goes a long way.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 09:24:07 AM »
Good advice. I once got a response from a female who didn't seem to know much about bikes. Said she would take the Sportster I was selling and would I hold it until the weekend. I wasn't getting much action anyway so I said sure what's a few more days. She showed up with her hubby, she was buying it as a surprise aniversary gift for him. She had been squirreling away extra household money for a couple of years. He was thrilled, she was happy and I was glad to see it go to a good home. They say Sportsters are girls bikes but that was a new take on the slur.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 09:49:26 AM »
Personally I will not do business buying or selling without talking to the person on the phone. This allows one to at least get a feel of who they may be dealing with. If someone refuses to allow me to call them or them call me, I don’t trust them, period!

I totally agree.. Talk With them on the phone first. You can tell a lot by listening!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 09:53:50 AM »
I remember about five years ago I went to sell motorcycle and I posted an ad. Five minutes later I get a response from someone I thought wow, they must really be interested. The more I looked into it the more red flags came up and I realized it was most likely a scam, because like you said they don’t want to talk to you on the phone.

I just heard something about spotting a scam… Two things, The first red flag is if they want you to react right away and give them money. The second red flag is If they request your personal information. Either one of those is a scam.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 09:58:08 AM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 09:58:00 AM »
That happens a lot, text message immediately after posting. 99.99% of the time the start of a scam.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2022, 10:47:16 AM »
Scammers out there, but the good people outweigh the bad. I'd respond via craigslist mail and see where it goes. Other than people being no shows when it came down to the sale, I've only had good experiences buying and selling parts, cars, motorcycles over the years, be it old school classified adds, pennysaver, e-bay, craigslist, etc.

I have seen a ton of scam ads though.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Swangle

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2022, 10:52:48 AM »
I wouldn't even respond to that. Any reply from a craigslist ad that seems "fishy" is something I won't deal with. I've rented a couple properties out through CL and I have the same approach there too (granted, a potential renter needs to include some info about themselves, but same applies).

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2022, 11:02:31 AM »
Sometimes I'll reply with a few questions ... like asking them "what town are in your in?  Are you nearby?" or for dirt bikes I'll ask "do you ride at places like Dry Rock Ridge"  (which is a totally made up name), so a normal person would respond with something like "never heard of that, I ride at Hollister and Metcalf" (2 real places).  I found with spammers I never hear back from them.

Seems the newer generation doesn't like making phone calls.   :grin:   I had always done a "do 1-2 emails/msgs, then get on the phone for more details and setting up a time" kind of approach.

Last 2 used dirt bikes I bought have been without a phone call.  Both guys around 30 years old.  But I was a buyer vs seller, they weren't that far away, and they were selling the exact bike I wanted and they were fairly new, so I did not have a lot of questions.  Oh, and they responded fairly quickly and without any weird stuff.

Your example might be legit.  If I found the exact bike I wanted I might be like that.  All excited, ready to come see it.  But yes, a phone call could keep you from wasting your time. 

Good luck with it. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Online Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2022, 11:19:01 AM »
Don't forget that the younger generation who has grown up with their face glued to screens is particularly phobic of actually speaking on the phone.  There's no telling if this is a factor with the OP's ad respondent.  There's also nothing wrong with taking a friend or 2 along to any potential meet up.  High value transactions should happen in a police station parking lot.
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline coast range rider

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2022, 11:41:57 AM »
Why would someone from the younger generation be responding to a Craigslist motorcycle for sale ad? Sounds suspicious.
2017 Stelvio
2002 V11 LeMans

Online Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2022, 02:21:31 PM »
I was selling a DR650 and got a text.
Bike still available?
Reply - Yes.
Where can I see it?
This just seemed a bit fishy to me so I gave the address to the local Police Dept.
Then I get this text. OK I am here. Where is the bike?
LOL. I told him I thought it was a scam and then gave him my real address. He came right over. We had a good laugh and he bought the bike for cash.

Yes I am still a bit paranoid about the generic replies but try not to be too suspicious.  :grin:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2022, 03:39:26 PM »
Just this past week I posted my Honda Element on CL with one stock photo and an honest description of its condition. Received 4 email responses within the first two hours and communicated with one of the parties solely by text message after that. I gave her my address, she came over with her dad, drove the car for all of about three minutes, and paid me in cash.

If I had insisted on email or telephone only, the deal likely would have never happened. Use your judgement but don’t turn down an opportunity just out of fear, prejudice, or stubbornness.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 03:45:07 PM by LongRanger »
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2022, 04:39:18 AM »
I tell you I HATE talking on the phone! I am in no way the younger gen, but after spending most of my work life working dealer parts and being on the phone almost non stop for 50 hours a week, Im more then happy to text and email!  That being said between FB market, and Craigs list the last few times ive sold something its been a real PITA. A easy 10-1 red flag replies. I have a lot of stuff I want to sell, but frankly I just dont want to deal with it a lot of the time.
Paul B

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2022, 06:40:06 AM »
I tell you I HATE talking on the phone! I am in no way the younger gen, but after spending most of my work life working dealer parts and being on the phone almost non stop for 50 hours a week, Im more then happy to text and email!  That being said between FB market, and Craigs list the last few times ive sold something its been a real PITA. A easy 10-1 red flag replies. I have a lot of stuff I want to sell, but frankly I just dont want to deal with it a lot of the time.

Whatcha got man?!?  :popcorn:

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2022, 07:03:16 AM »
being born in the 80s I think I count as a member of the younger generation, just!

90 per cent of people my age or younger just will not converse on the phone preferring to text or message. It is absolutely frustrating, things that could have been worked out in the course of a 3 minute call require endless texts etc. And then there's the flakiness.

My rule, I don't believe that ANY arrangement made by text is going to happen. Sometimes it does, but I don't believe it til it happens. And any arrangement made by phone or in person has a 90 per cent chance of happening.

When it comes to selling or buying, yes I want to hear their voice before the deal. There are a billion verbal nuances that all form part of communication with someone, whereas all text messages sound the same.

A wildguzzi example, when I bought Mike Tiberio's (RIP) eldo-vert, Although I had read and admired hundreds of his posts over the years, I needed those first 20 seconds of talking to him to know that he was a straight up guy and that the bike would be as promised and there would be no complications.

Rant over!

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2022, 07:43:51 AM »
Craigslist is pretty handy for buying and selling some stuff.  I just ignore the usual texts.  I do post my cell number.  It’s pretty easy to figure out who is legit. It’s so much better than the want ads of old.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2022, 09:41:09 AM »
Scammers out there, but the good people outweigh the bad. I'd respond via craigslist mail and see where it goes. Other than people being no shows when it came down to the sale, I've only had good experiences buying and selling parts, cars, motorcycles over the years, be it old school classified adds, pennysaver, e-bay, craigslist, etc.

I have seen a ton of scam ads though.

A lot of enclosed trailer being sold by widows for $800.  LOL!
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2022, 01:35:34 PM »
That response is clearly a scam. "Do you still have it?" could apply to anything being sold. Almost all legit response mention the name of the thing you're selling. Ie: Is your Guzzi still for sale? I've had the predictable responses come in moments after posting an ad saying "Is your item still for sale?" Irritating but easy to ignore. I usually say "No responses to 'is it still for sale' inquiries." in my CL postings.
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2022, 03:17:29 AM »
Whatcha got man?!?  :popcorn:

Nothing bike related..  just a lot of old junk.
Paul B

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2022, 06:42:39 PM »
Facebook marketplace is a mess. Withing 2 minutes of posting over there, I received about 10 messages asking "Do you still have the item?" followed up by "please text me" and "I will pay cash". That crap dried up when I added, land line no text messages.

I've never contacted a seller and asked about "The Item". I wonder if it's a BOT or cut and paste scammers.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 08:15:33 PM by Ncdan »
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2022, 10:24:05 PM »
Everyone has different experiences.  I've communicated with Craigslist responders entirely by text after they have established a trustable dialog via Craigslist's anonymous email.  I really don't wanna talk to them, waste of my time. Their asking if it has sold yet is a totally logical question to pose.  I've asked the same when I'm interested in an item.
'73 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, '16 Moto Guzzi Stornello, '14 Harley Ultra Classic, '12 Harley Wide Glide, '97 Honda XR600R

Offline frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2022, 02:21:41 AM »
Everyone has different experiences.  I've communicated with Craigslist responders entirely by text after they have established a trustable dialog via Craigslist's anonymous email.  I really don't wanna talk to them, waste of my time. Their asking if it has sold yet is a totally logical question to pose.  I've asked the same when I'm interested in an item.

My experience too, never had any trouble using the Craiglist email, don't give out my phone or email unless the buyer/seller has been verified. Sold and bought lot's o' stuff over the years with no problems, but maybe better lucky than smart?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 02:25:25 AM by frozengoose »
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2022, 06:22:17 AM »

This is why those who know Craigslist say things like, "if ad is up, item still for sale".  Or, "I don't need any help with selling".  And other statements that flush out the scammers.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online ital4me

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2022, 07:12:56 AM »
I hadn't used Craigslist for a very long time. It had a bad reputation and it all felt a little sleazy. Recently I had a snowplow for sale and the kids convinced me to try it again. I have to say it wasn't the same experience. Much better site with more protections for the seller. The plow sold and all was good. There are scammers and grifters everywhere you look. A foible of mankind. You just have to careful out there.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here