Author Topic: A Morini Return to America...  (Read 1475 times)

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
Re: A Morini Return to America...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 10:21:10 AM »
first I salivated - then I choked.  R3~

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 10:27:28 AM »
Zhejiang Morini Vehicle Co., Ltd.

No thanks
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline vintage53

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 10:51:44 AM »
Not for me. 

Thank You!
1977 Lemans 1.2 "Project"
2004 V11 Coppa Italia
2010 California Vintage
2021 Vespa 75th Anniversary Primavera 150

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 10:51:44 AM »

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 02:01:17 PM »
 At least bring back the Heron head to do it right.. :grin: Last Moto Morini 3 1/2 remember seeing was at a Kent endurance race up by Seattle in 1979 ..(not racing)  I talked to the owner and he really liked that little unit. I always liked them too. No thanks on the new unit..

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 02:46:22 PM »
Center of gravity looks WAY high with that tank mounted so high. And they are made in China.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 03:37:24 PM »
As the owner of a 2017 Benelli 300 TNT ($3,750 new, out the door), I think it's best to check it out in the flesh...which I'm looking forward to. You might be surprised how far some of this stuff (not all, but some) has come.

Another test. Stop by a Buick dealership and see if you can pick out which Sport Utility is made in China. Because one out of the four models is...and has been since it was launched here.

SR

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 03:40:12 PM »
P.S. -- the X-Cape engine is made by CF Moto, derived from a Kawasaki design.

SR

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 03:42:56 PM »
And here's what Alan Cathcart had to say about it:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/morini/x-cape-650/2022/

SR

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 03:50:10 PM »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 05:51:56 PM »
Gentlemen, Keep this thread about the pros and cons of the motorcycle itself and not the politics involving China and the US, please.

Dan

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 08:00:17 PM »
     I have a friend who has a Benelli Lioncino and he loves it. He also has a beautiful V7 Anniversary and a couple of Triumphs.

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2023, 08:23:16 PM »
I wonder if they will build something bigger, or will they stick with small displacement bikes?
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2023, 09:22:22 AM »
To round out the discussion still further:

On January 18, Harley-Davidson is supposed to make a couple of announcements. One of them is said to include the following:

"One model that won’t pack as much pep is the X350RA. Produced by Chinese moto giant Qianjiang group, the beginner-friendly Hog will harness a 353cc parallel twin and chassis developed from the Benelli 302S. The city runabout will act as Harley’s appeal to younger riders and urban commuters, especially with its 23-horsepower rating."

Which goes back to my previous Benelli comment. Some of this stuff is better than you might imagine...stay tuned.

Steven Rossi

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2023, 10:02:56 AM »
Certainly...we all do!

But the unfortunate reality is...that was then, this is now.

SR

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2023, 10:27:58 AM »
Well HD needs more new and younger riders. I'm sure they also need something small for new rider training classes.
But what I really wonder is who will be the first person with a HD tattoo that says "made in China."
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2023, 11:01:56 AM »
Just an observation...I recently looked closely at small and mid-size motorcycles at several local dealers, made by SSR Powersports and CFMoto, both very large Chinese companies.   

These two companies also offer a huge line of side-by-sides and 4 x 4's.  IMHO, the fit and the finish of these motorcycles  are at a very high quality standard and prices are very reasonable.

Just sayin'... :wink: :thumb: :boozing:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2023, 11:18:57 AM »
Brands not aligning with their country of origin isn't anything new, Royal Enfields built India, Ducatis and Hondas built in Thailand, the BMW G310 by TVS in India, AMF had all their badge engineered Harleys, Sears Allstate with their Puchs, etc. There's nothing about one region or another that makes it impossible to manufacture a quality product there, just different barriers. I wouldn't categorize quality of something by country since it's much more dependent on the company doing the manufacturing, their practices, and their supply chain (especially metallurgy).

Cost is certainly a barrier for new and younger riders looking at Harleys. They had the Street 500 and Street 750 "hoglets" and the Buell Blast before that as more affordable starter bikes, nothing stands out in the current lineup. Lots of younger riders instead buy decades old Sportsters to start. It will be interesting if the Harley Davidson 338 concept bike based on the Benelli TNT ever makes it to production. If it does, will be even more interesting if it ever makes its way to the North American market.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2023, 12:32:34 PM »
With Benelli coming under the umbrella of the QianJiang group of China, its manufacturing turn around has actually caught up with modern processes, as opposed to relying on updates on the same model, over and over.

C'mon now...what about a red 500cc "Little Lion" (Benelli Leoncino) :thumb: :bow: :boozing:
...with the little lion medallion on the front fender!  :cool:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 01:03:51 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 01:00:14 PM »
Which is a very different thing than a well established and extant manufacturer/brand sourcing bikes or manufacturing overseas.  Piaggio does the latter for Guzzis, for example the V85TT wheels are Chinese, but the control is with Piaggio.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2023, 05:37:48 AM »
Aren't the Chinese Benelli's the biggest selling brand in Italy?
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2023, 03:32:39 PM »
While my preference is ALWAYS for domestically made product, I could not care less where something is made as long as it is made well. Hope they pull it off with a nicely made bike.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2023, 04:30:02 PM »
Center of gravity looks WAY high with that tank mounted so high.
Won’t be any different than an Africa Twin or similar variant.
Just a thing about the perceived shortcomings of a high C of G.
It’s actually centre of mass, not gravity for a start.
When a bike is commanded to turn, we all know that there is an input into the ‘bars . This is to displace the point of support out from under the centre of mass and the bike begins to topple, but that little countersteeering effect rears it’s welcome head.
Point is…
If the overall mass is not excessive, then the high(er) centre of mass will contribute favourably to flickability and direction changes, the c of m stays where it is and the point of support moves under it.
If you need proof of this, get a broom and try to balance it vertically with the head on the bottom…no chance.
Now turn it upside down with the head (greater mass, higher C of G) at the top…easy.
If you got a bag of cement and strapped it under the engine of your V85 and rode it, the bike would be a pig. Strap it to the top of the tank and it’d handle just fine.
It all gets hard when you go to wheel it around though as we know, higher means harder to balance because the centre of mass has a greater moment arm (leverage), over the bike.
The bag of cement analogy now works backwards.
I guess you have to look at your bike and ask yourself…
Do I spend more time riding it, or pushing it around the shed…..? :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2023, 05:07:25 PM »
More news from today:

Moto Morini Chooses AIMExpo for U.S. Market Launch

IRVINE, Calif., January 18, 2023 — Iconic Italian motorcycle brand Moto Morini will be making its American market debut at AIMExpo, North America’s premier powersports trade event, February 15-17, in Las Vegas.

“We chose AIMExpo because it attracts thousands of industry leaders, dealers, and media from across the U.S.,” said Chris McGee, chief operating officer for Moto Morini. “It’s North America’s largest powersports trade show, so it’s the ideal place for us to introduce our inspiring motorcycles and accessories to the U.S. market. Moto Morini, with our famous Italian quality, performance, and style, is looking forward to connecting with dealers and growing our partnership network here.”

Moto Morini was founded in 1937 by famed motorcycle designer Alfonso Morini and will bring decades of master craftsmanship, distinct Italian design, and premium quality and performance to the U.S. with its portfolio of motorcycles. Moto Morini’s American headquarters will be in Irvine, California.

“We’re extremely excited to have the opportunity to give Moto Morini a big welcome to the American market,” said Cinnamon Kernes, vice president of market expansion at the Motorcycle Industry Council. “While the brand is known in Europe and around the world for its history of designing and producing high-quality performance motorcycles, it’s a new Italian brand for the U.S. I think we’re all looking forward to Moto Morini’s special presentation on our New Product Central stage.”

“All dealers and media attending AIMExpo are invited to visit us at our booth for a guided VIP tour of our bikes, riding gear, and accessories,” said McGee. “We offer a range of extraordinary motorcycles that is sure to excite riders and enthusiasts.” 

Moto Morini will be at Booth 2031 and will be presenting at AIMExpo’s New Product Central stage on Wednesday, February 15, at 10:45 am.

ABOUT MOTO MORINI MOTORCYCLES
Moto Morini, with European headquarters in Milan, is an iconic Italian motorcycle brand founded in 1937 by the famed motorcycle designer Alfonso Morini and has long been the symbol of Italian innovation and performance. With a heritage of producing some of the most extraordinary motorcycles in Europe, Moto Morini brings decades of master craftsmanship, exceptional Italian design, premium quality and unparalleled performance to their line of inspiring motorcycles that meet and exceed the demands of today’s riders on and off the road. From their American headquarters in Irvine, California, Moto Morini provides dealers in North America with premium quality, impeccably designed, high-performance motorcycles, as well as leading edge apparel and exceptional accessories with famous Italian style. Learn more and see the complete Moto Morini line at MotoMoriniUSA.com.

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 05:33:53 PM »
These are adventure bikes, to be taken off the beaten path, and when they inevitably fall over and take a nap, they have to be picked up.  KTM put in
a lot of design and thought with their fuel tanks in the 790 and 890 series to place weight lower. People who own em love em for their quick handling, stability,
and maneuverability.  Aprilia has done the same to a degree with the Tuareg 660.  When ya gotta pick em up, less and lower weight seems to make sense
to those manufacturers and to many people wholly & ride them.

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 05:35:59 PM »
" to people who buy & ride them."   correction

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 07:31:35 PM »
Not a huge fan of this style, but the bike looks interesting. One way to look at it is at least the brand is honest about the Chinese content  :evil: I like the look of this bike, and wouldn't shy from test riding and considering one.

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2023, 08:00:14 AM »
Not for me.

Offline Guzikid

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2023, 09:11:44 PM »
  I'm very interested in the Moto Morini 6 1/2 STR. I want to see it firsthand and would very much like a test ride to make up my own mind. My local Benelli dealers say they have no reliability problems.  They are very well made and run very well also.  The Chinese manufacturers have come a "long" way in the last 20 years !  The Kid

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here