Author Topic: V50 Monza - new member hello and bike issues  (Read 599 times)

Offline Foster212

• New Egg
V50 Monza - new member hello and bike issues
« on: January 10, 2023, 03:40:07 AM »
Hello everyone.

I've just joined this forum after much reading and decided to post. I'm from Australia and recently inherited a v50 monza.  I'm slowly learning that it's had a few botched jobs and finding a fair few aftermarket parts.
My biggest challenge right now is getting the carbs adjusted correctly, I just can't get them balanced properly and adjusting the air/fuel mixture the same on both sides gives me conflicting information. Running rich seems like it's running lean and vice versa.
Now I have minimal knowledge with bikes and cars but a little with cars. I'm a bank manager by trade so out of depth but I don't mind getting my hands dirty and learning.

My bike has aftermarket pod filters (I read here that people have been having trouble getting them to fit) that touch each other, one has a bit of an indent from the other one pushing. One of the throttle cables in the aftermarket twist grip doesn't sit right and the sleeve falls out. Still connected though but I've noticed it will come out. I'm assuming this is throwing the slide out on one side when accelerating and trying to tune.

My question is what parts should I focus on with adjustments, can someone please explain exactly what each screw does, things i should focus on in general for maintenance and improvement and any tips or tricks.

Apologies if anything makes no sense.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: V50 Monza - new member hello and bike issues
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 08:35:44 AM »
The smaller screw with no visible spring is the low speed mixture screw. Turn it in for leaner and out for richer. The larger knurled screw with visible spring adjusts the throttle slide opening - an idle speed screw. Out lowers the idle rpm and in raises the idle rpm.

On the carb top is an adjuster - this is for adjusting cable slack (you need a little) and to synchronize the carbs.

My V50 III never ran quite right until I replaced the original ignition points with a Dyna S electronic ignition. The problem with the points was that one has to run the gap wider or more closed in order to get timing for each cylinder correct. The Dyna S has pickup that can be moved independently to set the timing on each cylinder correctly.

Make sure the ignition advance unit is moving freely - it's a good idea to remove, clean, and lightly lube it as well as replacing the advance spring with new ones.
Charlie

Offline monza88

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 02:53:23 PM »
Hi Foster, where is it giving you trouble? I have a V50 monza in the UK and put pods filters on last year - initially without any changes to the carb, it struggled in the transition between idle and full throttle (it would bog down and could stall when i tried to turn the throttle when riding, was fine just revving it stationary) - i took off the plastic cover at the top of the carb and moved the needle up higher by one step (it has slots) and then it ran perfectly. The full-throttle mixture is changed by jet size only, and the idle is covered by Antietam.
If its not been used for a while, it is worth undoing the bolt underneath the carb and taking the carb bowl off, cleaning out any gunge and then you can also loosen off the carb, twist it around and remove the main and idle jets from below (flat blade screw driver brass bits ) and check its not blocked.
Good luck, they ride like they are on rails when sorted - wish it was summer on this side of the planet!
Dan
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 02:54:41 PM by monza88 »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 08:59:12 AM »
The Monza is a very special motorycle. Consider yourself lucky, and listen to Charlie.  :smiley: His advice is spot on. Get the throttle cable issue sorted first.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 08:59:12 AM »

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 10:16:37 AM »
great little bike!
you might consider buying a cheap set of vacuum gauges
being able to see what happens  takes a lot of guessing away from the idle setup.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 10:37:16 AM »
Where in Australia ?
I might come for a look.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here