Author Topic: Cali 1400 decel engine braking question  (Read 1185 times)

Online 73 sport

• Hatchling
Re: Cali 1400 decel engine braking question
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2023, 07:47:54 PM »
   What do   muffler  springs have to do with engine braking? You sound like a bunch of government controlled trolls, accepting the Federal crap imposed on internal combustion engines. If the operator can not control the machine, the machine should not exist. There are many '60s & '70s bikes available that are in many ways better than anything new.

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2023, 08:45:18 PM »
  Well for what it's worth , my 2018 Eldorado didn't exhibit this engine braking scenario when stock , or when
I had installed the booster plug nor after installing a Beetle map ! Yours is the earlier one with the cables to the box .
Concerning the Beetle map , I donated and he emailed me the map , I uninstalled the OEM map and then
loaded the one he sent me , I guess things have changed . There's quite a few sensors sending info to the ECM.
Good luck , Peter
As for older bikes being better , well they are more easily understood , but better ?   

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2023, 04:11:02 AM »
Same here ,no issues ,that have been noticed under any riding on our 2019 Touring Se .Fueling ,in my opinion ,is fine ,Plugs lookright to me .
Mind you regarding riding with cruise on ,...cruise is only being used on long distance and usually turned off.
Was running everything Stock till ~28000km,than installed a set of Mistrals .
Perhaps the only difference here is ,90% and up the bike is used two up ,'...under bigger Load' .
The few time i ride it sole to work ,hard to tell of any issues .
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2023, 07:12:08 AM »
  Well for what it's worth , my 2018 Eldorado didn't exhibit this engine braking scenario when stock , or when
I had installed the booster plug nor after installing a Beetle map ! Yours is the earlier one with the cables to the box .
Concerning the Beetle map , I donated and he emailed me the map , I uninstalled the OEM map and then
loaded the one he sent me , I guess things have changed . There's quite a few sensors sending info to the ECM.
Good luck , Peter
As for older bikes being better , well they are more easily understood , but better ?

I didn't have my MGX-21 long enough to load a Beetle Map, only ride it 4 months before winter then my hip replacement, but I did put on Agostini pipes. With the DB reducers in, the stock map handled fueling well.

What I noticed was 'as expected' engine braking down to about 2500-3K where the ECU seemed to keep the throttle up. This resulted in less engine braking as you would expect. It also seemed to slow the 'ramp down' in off throttle situations. It was my first 'throttle by wire' and I really didn't like it.

Between the high curb weight, weird low speed handling dynamics, poor high speed stability, weird throttle response (as opposed to cable throttle) and disappointing dash and just not connecting with it, I sold it while recovering from my hip replacement and just before my knee replacement.  Looking back 2 years and being 110% on recovery, I have often wondered if I should have sat on it, but I figured it was best to sell while still under warranty. A shame as I put a ton of work into it and even fabbed up an OEM top case from a Norge. The day I sold it. The buyer never surfaced here or in any Guzzi community post sale, I often wonder where it is.

One of the things Beetle does on all his maps is to cut fueling in closed throttle situations
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2023, 07:12:08 AM »

Offline Clifton

• No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.
  • Gosling
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2023, 02:37:30 PM »
   What do   muffler  springs have to do with engine braking? You sound like a bunch of government controlled trolls, accepting the Federal crap imposed on internal combustion engines. If the operator can not control the machine, the machine should not exist.

The discussion is about Cali 1400 throttling and the engine braking oddity in particular that affect some of them. The separate muffler spring question was directed to an owner with the same exact mufflers as on mine. Do you know anything about Cali 1400's relevant to these discussions?
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2023, 03:13:36 PM »
The discussion is about Cali 1400 throttling and the engine braking oddity in particular that affect some of them. The separate muffler spring question was directed to an owner with the same exact mufflers as on mine. Do you know anything about Cali 1400's relevant to these discussions?
Nice one… :whip2: :thumb:

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2023, 06:12:43 PM »

There's two correction tables in the Cali map that cause the throttle hang on deceleration. There's a "dip" in the table where the values decrease, then increase. I've heard it described as a "wall".

It can be mapped out

Offline Clifton

• No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.
  • Gosling
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2023, 09:56:50 PM »
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here