Author Topic: I know, it’s only pitch and roll, but I like it.  (Read 1056 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
I know, it’s only pitch and roll, but I like it.
« on: January 11, 2023, 07:35:00 AM »
Just got around to re qualifying in this little thing.
The venerable Cessna 152..

Then back into this

older man emojis

And this

Which is all very well, but where’s the CD player…? (must be a cheap one…!)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 07:48:41 AM by Huzo »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: I know, it’s only pitch and roll, but I like it.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 08:22:46 AM »
Cool.  And, love The Stones reference!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 01:27:29 PM »
Isn't it tough to fly when you go no yaw? 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 02:10:13 PM »
Isn't it tough to fly when you go no yaw?
Yes…
Although it is the easiest of the three axis’ to do without. I did attempt to work it into the title, but it seemed a bit try hard…. :rolleyes:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 02:10:13 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 03:48:45 PM »
Yes…
Although it is the easiest of the three axis’ to do without. I did attempt to work it into the title, but it seemed a bit try hard…. :rolleyes:

:thumb:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 04:28:53 PM »
I salute tow pilots everywhere.  Ballsy flying, not knowing what some yahoo at the other end of the tow rope might do.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 10:17:29 PM »
Don’t forget to practice running your ‘ball of flames ‘ check list. The first item is the most important but is often overlooked. It is of course the phrase “Oh shit Oh dear” in a calm pilot like tone. :grin:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 10:20:54 PM »
I salute tow pilots everywhere.  Ballsy flying, not knowing what some yahoo at the other end of the tow rope might do.
That release will fix anything…

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 08:50:45 AM »
My first job as a A&P mechanic was at Southern Aviation in Shreveport ,Louisiana . They had tow planes which took a beating but held up amazingly well. The biggest fear was failure to release but we never had one stuck. We sure had to look them over though.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 09:11:01 AM »

My elevator is non-operational but my manifold pressure gauge is

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 01:36:31 PM »
My first job as a A&P mechanic was at Southern Aviation in Shreveport ,Louisiana . They had tow planes which took a beating but held up amazingly well. The biggest fear was failure to release but we never had one stuck. We sure had to look them over though.
There is a short section of rope in the towline which has a much lower breaking strain than the rest.
We often practice the procedure for a release failure at the glider end, it’s a little confronting the first few times. In the highly unlikely event of a double release failure, there is an expanded procedure which involves the glider landing on tow with the tug.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 08:09:49 AM »
So you use Ag Cats for tugs. Interesting, slow stable planes that can carry a lot of weight.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 12:41:23 PM »
I miss my days with Canberra Gliding Club. Our tug was a Cessna Ag Wagon, often piloted by Heinz who was a great pilot to fly behind and had his first flying experiences between 1939 and 1945.....

The gliders I flew all the time, L13 Blaniks are mostly all gone.....

These days I would love to live in a country where I could fly a GOAT or BUG ultralight glider and just float about....
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2023, 01:25:48 PM »
So you use Ag Cats for tugs. Interesting, slow stable planes that can carry a lot of weight.
kk
Mostly Piper Super Cubs and Pawnees.
Typical tow speeds are55-65 knots.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 01:26:45 PM »
I miss my days with Canberra Gliding Club. Our tug was a Cessna Ag Wagon, often piloted by Heinz who was a great pilot to fly behind and had his first flying experiences between 1939 and 1945.....

The gliders I flew all the time, L13 Blaniks are mostly all gone.....

These days I would love to live in a country where I could fly a GOAT or BUG ultralight glider and just float about....
Was that out of Cooma ?

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2023, 02:22:35 PM »
I do miss flying!  I was checked out all the up to Cessna 210.  I lost my medical several years back...
I remember flying gliders in Minden, Nevada.  Minden is the Mecca of gliders due to the mountain wave the comes over the Sierra Nevadas when the wind from the Pacific is just right.  When the wave is "on" those gliders go up to 36000 feet.  They are equiped with oxygen and radio for ATC clearance for flight to the flight levels. 
I had several lessons in gliders and remember that the tow up was, for me at least, the easy part.  Flying the glider was incredible; the most challenging part for me was landing the thing!  Those huge wings make the thing a bit challenging to get on the ground. It is an incredible view up there, you can see what seems the whole of the Sierra range.  Something I will never forget!
The tow plane looked like an Ag plane of some kind, I forget what it was...

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 03:08:01 PM »
From Griso8V:
I do miss flying!  I was checked out all the up to Cessna 210.  I lost my medical several years back...
I remember flying gliders in Minden, Nevada.  Minden is the Mecca of gliders due to the mountain wave the comes over the Sierra Nevadas when the wind from the Pacific is just right.  When the wave is "on" those gliders go up to 36000 feet.  They are equiped with oxygen and radio for ATC clearance for flight to the flight levels. 
I had several lessons in gliders and remember that the tow up was, for me at least, the easy part.  Flying the glider was incredible; the most challenging part for me was landing the thing!  Those huge wings make the thing a bit challenging to get on the ground. It is an incredible view up there, you can see what seems the whole of the Sierra range.  Something I will never forget!

Your unusual if tow was the easy part for you. When I was flying with the Wichita Soaring Club we would occasionally have current pilots out of McConnell AFB or test pilots from one of the aircraft companies. The tow was the great equalizer as even these guys trained in formation flying had difficulties at first with the tow but were quick learners. Yea, nothing like flying under a bubble canopy except maybe open cockpit.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2023, 03:09:31 PM »
Yeah.
I only qualified as far as the Cessna 172RG in command, did not progress to the 210. The CSU/retract endorsement meant that would have been next, but I went the tail wheel glider towing direction.
The 210 and the 182 retract is what I always thought were the real deal.
But who knows in the future..?
To be brutally honest, at the moment landing little VH-FVC (Cessna 152) in limiting X-winds while keeping the centreline down the middle is enough.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2023, 04:05:48 PM »
The PA125 and similar are used in California spread fertilizer and pesticides on rice. They can carry heavy loads and turn on a dime. Not much to them.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2023, 03:15:12 PM »
Yeah.
I only qualified as far as the Cessna 172RG in command, did not progress to the 210. The CSU/retract endorsement meant that would have been next, but I went the tail wheel glider towing direction.
The 210 and the 182 retract is what I always thought were the real deal.
But who knows in the future..?
To be brutally honest, at the moment landing little VH-FVC (Cessna 152) in limiting X-winds while keeping the centreline down the middle is enough.

I really enjoyed the 172RG!  It was great fun flying it, great memories.  The 152 was really a lot of fun.  Sometimes, after a tough day I would just go out to the airport and rent a 152.  I would either fly it out to the coast and look at the view of the Pacific or head down to South County, eat a sandwich and then fly back to Palo Alto...Palo Alto was known for crosswinds and strange wind changes being right on the SF Bay!  Lots of fun...
We had a 152 Aerobat in the club that I did some aerobatics in...
Never did fly a tail dragger but when you can fly one and land one, that is a real pilot!

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2023, 10:54:45 PM »
If I were in Australia, I’d be flying a Victa Airtourer not a Cessna.  Look up what is now VH-POB… still flying as far as I know.  It was bought new by a friend of my father and both learned how to fly in it 50 years ago.  I have something similar but different here in the US, BTW with a glider/banner tow hook that as far as I know has never been used.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 11:46:38 PM by Tusayan »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 03:01:42 AM »
Well Tus.
In 1965 I went to the local municipal airport with Dad for some reason which I don’t recall.
He came out from the office and said
“Wanna’ go fo a ride..?”
I think y’all know the answer.
It was in one of two Victa Airtourers based there
VH-MTP and VH-MUP
Not MUP but close…!

We went up in VH-MTP with the pilot in the left seat, Dad in the right seat and me on his lap…!
Both a/c are still in service with the same reg.

I think your old mate VH-POB might be a Cessna 150 now… :sad:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 03:19:49 AM by Huzo »

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
    • South East Massive
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 12:24:08 PM »
Sure was Huzo!!! Bunyan to be precise. Had some great times, and when I wasn't flying I'd be happy to man the radio and drink tea in the caravan. Never got to solo due to a lack of $$$$$ as I needed the "push" of the intensive 1 week course and could never afford it. So 47 flights spaced out over 1 year  :embarrassed: But apart from Blanik I flew KA4, Puchatz (wow!) and a real blast from the past ES49 Kookaburra.
Scotty

Thomas Paine

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2023, 12:46:31 PM »
I think your old mate VH-POB might be a Cessna 150 now… :sad:

The registration was recycled to the Airtourer, not vice versa.  The plane used to be registered elsewhere before being imported to Australia and rebuilt over a long period by a guy who was once involved with the factory or distributor or something.  I believe with him having aged out, it now belongs to a relative (as of 2019).  Perhaps his son.  https://www.regosearch.com/aircraft/au/POB

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2023, 01:12:48 PM »
Sure was Huzo!!! Bunyan to be precise. Had some great times, and when I wasn't flying I'd be happy to man the radio and drink tea in the caravan. Never got to solo due to a lack of $$$$$ as I needed the "push" of the intensive 1 week course and could never afford it. So 47 flights spaced out over 1 year  :embarrassed: But apart from Blanik I flew KA4, Puchatz (wow!) and a real blast from the past ES49 Kookaburra.
Jeez, if you flew K4’s and Kookaburra’s, no wonder you’re skeptical. That glide ratio bordering on single figures doesn’t fill you with confidence…. :rolleyes:
Our club has a Puchacz owned from new, along with a Duo Discus, Janus, PW6 and a selection of modern single seaters (LS 6) and similar.
Oh, also a K13….(what I started in along with the old Blanik)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 01:26:13 PM by Huzo »

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2023, 01:20:08 PM »
My only two glider flights were in a Duo Discuss, that is an amazing device.  On the first flight we were at 17,990 feet (US Class A Airspace starts at 18K) and the second flight over 15,000.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2023, 01:30:28 PM »
Son of a Mongoose…!
I have not been that high in anything other than commercial stuff.
The supplemental Oxygen rule kicks in @ 10000’ here in Oz….(actually it might have gone up to 12 or 14000’ now.
Have to check the VFRG.)

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2023, 07:04:09 PM »
We had oxygen.

It's interesting flying in an unpowered aircraft while looking down on commercial airliners 40 miles or so from touchdown

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2023, 07:25:26 PM »
We had oxygen.

It's interesting flying in an unpowered aircraft while looking down on commercial airliners 40 miles or so from touchdown
I’ve never been in that environment.

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
    • South East Massive
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2023, 01:20:17 PM »
Bunyan had (and for all I know still does) a Wave Camp every year where people come from all over Oz to ride the wave. Never did it myself, but did get up to 10,000 ASL in the Blanik without oxygen, so that was that! Best flight I ever had, about 2.5 hours, glorious day. Great tow (I was a good towee apparently - won a prize for it!) and then tooling about for all that time talking about the cricket with the instructor Rod Stone, then a great circuit and landing. At the end of that he said I needed to go solo ASAP as I was 95% there. Oh well. I think that was my 46th Blanik flight....
Scotty

Thomas Paine

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here