Author Topic: NGC-Never saw this before.....  (Read 490 times)

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
NGC-Never saw this before.....
« on: January 12, 2023, 05:50:05 AM »
People are such creative problem solvers!  Sometimes you just have to wonder what they were thinking.

When I bought the TDM850, the seller knew there was a problem he did not have time to look at, described the problem well, and discounted the bike appropriately. 

For you Guzzi types, the first picture shows a motorcycle drive chain with the sprocket studs interfering with the chain adjuster block.  I'm sure most of you are thinking what I thought, axle misaligned, or, missing or wrong spacer on sprocket side.

Alignment was part of the problem, but there was more.  The second picture shows the chain adjustment slot on the outside of the brake side of the swingarm.

The last picture shows the inside of the swingarm on the drive chain side.  I suspect that this is  someone's solution to a problem that did not exist.  Hard to imagine a loose axle allowing the chain side spacer to machine a spacer diameter hole thru the inside of the swingarm.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 05:55:19 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC-Never saw this before.....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 06:13:17 AM »
Thats crazy!!  At first glance I thought the bolts were in backwards.. This is far worse. Im guessing your swingarm shopping now.
Paul B

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 06:37:27 AM »
Could the sprockets be on backwards?  If the sprockets are dished perhaps one or both are mounted backwards.  My son found his front sprocket on his KLR650 mounted backwards and interfering with his chain guard, he flipped that sprocket around and the chain cleared the guard properly, and all was well.  Maybe the spacer is the problem?  or missing a large washer on the chain side?  Let us know what the solution was.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 07:36:13 AM »
Oooof.   It's good that you discovered the issue. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 07:36:13 AM »

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 09:20:15 AM »
Could the sprockets be on backwards?  If the sprockets are dished perhaps one or both are mounted backwards.  My son found his front sprocket on his KLR650 mounted backwards and interfering with his chain guard, he flipped that sprocket around and the chain cleared the guard properly, and all was well.  Maybe the spacer is the problem?  or missing a large washer on the chain side?  Let us know what the solution was.

Those are studs that are bottomed in the sprocket carrier.  The sprocket is dished, but the length of the studs will not change.

Swingarm wall thickness is 1.5 mm, so there would have been enough clearance prior to "Custom Machining."

Surprising number of swingarms on eBay for TDM's.  Should have one in hand by Saturday.

In the meantime, for testing purposes, flatwashers and "Redneck Engineering" will carry the day!

Especially strange since the rest of the bike is almost pristine and seems well cared for.

I guess someone got a die grinder for Christmas one year and ..........
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 11:04:48 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline FarmallA

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 09:30:55 AM »
Maybe a PO tried to move the wheel over to get clearance for a fatter tire?  Seems like a dumb way to achieve a dumb idea though.

FarmallA
Steve

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 02:09:20 PM »
The chain and sprockets look good from here… :popcorn:

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 05:36:37 AM »
The chain and sprockets look good from here… :popcorn:

This is why one should ALWAYS consult Huzo.

That is a brand new chain, and sprockets have almost no wear.

Important things everyone else overlooked!

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here