Author Topic: 1100 Sport remap?  (Read 316 times)

Offline Bull Tahr

• New Egg
    • My YouTube channel
1100 Sport remap?
« on: January 12, 2023, 03:52:14 PM »
I not a injected generation guy so please excuse my ignorance. I considering replacing the factory pipes on my 1997 1100 sport, something more Ahhh "Free flowing" (Louder). Now I know that the injection is a very basic early system. Would I have to remap, or can it adjust accordingly. I'm pretty sure that there are very few sensors äfter the burn" but I may be wrong. Thoughts???
Utrinque Paratus

On the Face: Dusty Visor Motorcycles

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: 1100 Sport remap?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 04:52:07 PM »
The 16M ECU that has a removable chip, all open loop. Trim screw inside a rubber plug for idle mixture next to chip. I got chips years ago w/new model, now not so much.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Bull Tahr

• New Egg
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 06:02:26 PM »
The 16M ECU that has a removable chip, all open loop. Trim screw inside a rubber plug for idle mixture next to chip. I got chips years ago w/new model, now not so much.
I have the Creedon chip in it, already adjusted as rich as I can get it.....
Utrinque Paratus

Offline FarmallA

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 07:21:56 PM »
My yellow '97 has a Will Creedon chip too.  I don't know anything about my particular chip, what it's coded for or anything, but it works well with a Mistral exhaust like the one pictured at MG cycle.

It didn't run right at all when I first got the bike.  After doing the TB balance to a fare thee well and replacing the cam chain tensioner,  I think the best results were achieved by setting the valves to RaceTech specs.  It runs pretty good now. The idle will miss occasionally, but it never dies.  The miss at 3000RPM is gone. And it's lots of fun.  Sounds very sweet; just the right loudness.

The little screw on the PC board is for mixture at idle only, to be set with a CO meter, as I understand it.  I have it set somewhere in the middle, using my best guesswork.

FarmallA
Steve

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 07:21:56 PM »

Offline Bull Tahr

• New Egg
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 08:27:05 PM »
My yellow '97 has a Will Creedon chip too.  I don't know anything about my particular chip, what it's coded for or anything, but it works well with a Mistral exhaust like the one pictured at MG cycle.

It didn't run right at all when I first got the bike.  After doing the TB balance to a fare thee well and replacing the cam chain tensioner,  I think the best results were achieved by setting the valves to RaceTech specs.  It runs pretty good now. The idle will miss occasionally, but it never dies.  The miss at 3000RPM is gone. And it's lots of fun.  Sounds very sweet; just the right loudness.

The little screw on the PC board is for mixture at idle only, to be set with a CO meter, as I understand it.  I have it set somewhere in the middle, using my best guesswork.

FarmallA
Steve

Thanks for that, mine a '97 also. I'm tempted to start from scratch and get a custom chip done once I get the open pipes on. At the moment, I still get the miss at idle and occasionally it dies. THe cough at 3000 has improved. The Creedon gave me 2 HP more as well.
Utrinque Paratus

Offline FarmallA

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 09:41:59 PM »
Hey Bull Tahr
Is your Creedon chip new?  I wouldn't mind comparing any numbers on your Creedon chip to mine.  As you can see in my photo, the number on mine (WPC12-32K) is written in ball point pen on a slip of masking tape stuck on the chip. It was already installed on the bike when I bought it last summer and seems to work great after the setup I described.  But I don't know anything of it's provenance.  Just curious.

I misspoke before about valve clearances:i should have said Raceco, not Racetech. 
(Raceco specs: Imperial Inlet 0.008” Exhaust 0.010”. Metric Inlet 0.2 mm Exhaust 0,25mm)

Before setting the valve clearances to Raceco specs, if I set the idle to 1200 RPM, and gave it a blip of throttle, it would then fall to 7-800 or die entirely, with a hiccup.  Almost every time at a stop sign.  This has been described by many owners.

Setting valves to the Raceco specs enabled me to set the idle to a dependable 1200 (recommended by many), and while there's an occasional hiccup, it never dies, and that's good enough for me.  That's with the Mistral pipes.  I never tried the stock cans, even though they came with the bike.  I expect you can make it work with your Creedon chip.  The only alternative i've heard of is a Jefferies MyECU setup.

Anyway, I'd be interested in any info about your  Creedon numbers. 

FarmallA
Steve

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 10:13:34 AM »
I have the Creedon chip in it, already adjusted as rich as I can get it.....

I just had the fuel injectors serviced on my '97 Sport-i, and despite that it ran fine the report showed a +5% and +9% improvement in flow. I've had to reduce my fuel map accordingly since. You may consider servicing the injectors as well as cleaning the fuel tap, changing the filter and even changing the fuel lines if they're old. I installed a Jeffries MyECU and never looked back, but I had some EFI tuning experience prior. It's not hard but it's some homework if you're not familiar, and even less fun if you're not proficient handling computer files between smartphone apps and PC.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Bull Tahr

• New Egg
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 12:43:03 PM »
Hey Bull Tahr
Is your Creedon chip new?  I wouldn't mind comparing any numbers on your Creedon chip to mine.  As you can see in my photo, the number on mine (WPC12-32K) is written in ball point pen on a slip of masking tape stuck on the chip. It was already installed on the bike when I bought it last summer and seems to work great after the setup I described.  But I don't know anything of it's provenance.  Just curious.

I bought it from Will about 4 months ago. Same as your sounds like. I assuming that the values have not been revisited in some time. I may be wrong tho. I'd be interested to see what improvements a "start from scratch" mapping could do, given that we have come a long way since 1997. Even with the injection system being so basic, there is more than 20 years more knowledge out there now. Local guru here talks of about 16 hours from a blank canvas...........
Utrinque Paratus

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here