Author Topic: V7 II (ABS) - Rear Brake Not Pressurizing  (Read 573 times)

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
V7 II (ABS) - Rear Brake Not Pressurizing
« on: January 15, 2023, 09:37:33 AM »
Since getting the bike back together, the past 30 miles have been going well EXCEPT I still can’t get the rear brakes to pressurize after a few attempts of bleeding and priming. If I pump the foot lever multiple times fast enough, I do build up pressure, but it quickly loosens up. During the first few pumps, I hear air movement in the lines to/from the ABS module. So, I have no rear brake.

I initially used a syringe to prime the line up via the caliper bleed port. Then I proceeded to bleed… and bleed… and bleed, via the reservoir—Pump, pump, pump > lever depressed > crack the bleed 1/4 and close back up quickly > repeat > fill reservoir as needed. No progress, and I feel I’ve done it enough times by now…

I’ve read that brakes fitted with ABS can hold more air and require more bleeding, and I see the ABS module sits in-line with or possibly higher than the reservoir. I also wonder if perhaps during the engine removal or installation—or while the frame sat outside during the 3 months it took me to rebuild—if the ABS module or it’s lines might’ve been damaged.

I checked all the nuts—everything’s tight. I figured my next step is to spray some soapy water to check for leaks. Anything else I can do to troubleshoot? I have GuzziDiag, and I know there was some ABS support added in, but I’m not completely sure what all it can check.

No alarm/light, so I reckon the module itself isn’t the problem.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 10:05:33 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 II (ABS) - Rear Brake Not Pressurizing
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 11:01:59 AM »
The only way to get the air out is to remove the caliber, get it higher than the ABS unit then bleed.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 11:38:32 AM »
Yes, that caliper is a down-low

html url generator
1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, 2016 Moto Guzzi Stornello, 2023 Vespa Primavera

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 11:46:42 AM »
Yes, that caliper is a down-low

html url generator

Yeah, I learned previously with my Honda CX500 that when bleeding it’s best to turn those calipers so the nipples are facing upward, but I did that, and am still not gaining pressure. Maybe I’m just not doing it right. I’ll try some more.

The only way to get the air out is to remove the caliber, get it higher than the ABS unit then bleed.

I hadn’t thought about that, mainly because I never had to do it before. Guess that means bringing the caliper around to the other side so all the hosing can stretch up. I’m assuming the lines also should be elevated, but the ones going in and out of the module are rigid.

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 11:46:42 AM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 01:14:42 PM »
THIS and sometimes you have to feed it through so line is strait. To do that maybe wheel out or stuff moved. It does bleed through the pump with key off. Don't forget to put a wrench between pads.
I was doing alot of this so I bought a canister for air compressor line. Worth every penny.
The holes are smaller than they used to be.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 01:16:09 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 01:15:38 PM »
And we have brakes! Elevated the caliper and within a few pumps the air was out of the system. Easy peasy; thank gawd it wasn’t a leak or module issue.

Funny that Guzzi doesn’t mention removing the rear caliper for bleeding/purging.

Much appreciated, Vagrant, Air-Cooled, and Guzzisteve!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 01:16:26 PM by Dirk_S »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here