Author Topic: Convert Fork Oil Change  (Read 300 times)

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
Convert Fork Oil Change
« on: January 16, 2023, 11:41:42 AM »
My 76 Convert has the FAC dampers. While the ride is stable and comfy enough, I have bottomed the forks several times, and would like to add more damping. I run them with no air pressure, though they do seem to build pressure as I ride, because when I occasionally pull the caps and depress the valve it 'pishes' air.

I have no idea what the weight of the current fork oil is, and must confess I have not even checked the oil levels.  I have icon rear shocks that work very well.

I've also not dealt with FAC damper inserts though I understand the concept. I rebuilt the air forks in my XS1100's and have swapped fork springs and changed oil on several bikes over the years, but all told forks and suspensions are the area of least experience. I've never been picky about suspensions, and have always enjoyed modifying MY inputs and approach to the bike, learn how it operates, and maximize it's capabilities/limitations.

Any recommendations on the best (cheapest) way to firm up the damping on the forks? I want to firm up the damping but NOT slow down the rebound too much to make the bike wallow.  TIA
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Convert Fork Oil Change
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 12:07:51 PM »
The oil in the forks is only for lubrication, it has little to no effect on the damping. All the damping is done by the cartridges, FAC in your case. More than original volume of oil can change the air gap and effectively stiffen the springing though.

Maybe try a little air pressure? Did you replace the springs along with the dampers? If not, you might think about that too.
Charlie

Offline glenm64

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 03:55:19 PM »
Hey Bulldog
I have a question in regards to your screen mount and the FAC dampers. The FAC dampers have valve on the top yes? But the standard screen mount bolts on the top of the fork cap nut. Would you show picture of your set up please. Im thinking of an upgrade on front dampers.
TIA Glen

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 07:15:52 PM »
See my comment on your “Convert Issue “ thread
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 07:15:52 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here