General Category > General Discussion

NGC - Down draft Weber Carbs

(1/3) > >>

SIR REAL ED:

any one have any experience with dual throated down draft weber carbs?

If so, lets hear about it!

Thanks in advance.

Bisbee:
 I rebuilt my dual 40mm side draft webers for my Alfa Duetto years ago.  Any problems?

mondtster:
Is there some specific information you're looking for? I've worked on a number of them, they're just like any other carburetor in my book. There is some decent documentation floating around on the internet about them if you search a bit.

FarmallA:
It's been years since I've dealt with Webers. There are two types of 2 barrel downdrafts (or maybe more?).  IDF's have 2 equal size chokes that are linked together.  The DGV type has two different sizes of chokes that open progressively, the small one first.

Not knowing your application, my guess is you're looking at a DGV.  Great on a 2002, MGB, etc.  Once they are jetted properly, they are very dependable. Like all carbs, ethanol can screw 'em up. 

There are different types of enriching (butterflies) systems.  Water, electric manual.  I think the electric was called DGEV.  32/36 is a typical choke size.

i always preferred SU's on my Triumphs.  But the the Weber was better than the Solex on a BMW. 

Weber sidedrafts are great too (DCOE), but really need a cam to be worth it.

That's all I know.

FarmallA
Steve

SIR REAL ED:
I have a wild hair idea of possibly replacing the downdraft Mikuni carbs on my TDM850 with a single dual throat carb setup.  I remembered the old kits for some inline fours in the 1970's, that, IIRC consisted of a pair of dual throated side draft Weber carbs.

So I am curious in terms of dimensions, availability, ease of tuning, etc.  All the associated information one would need to make an informed decision to either take a leap and try installing a single dual throat carb (assuming I am using the right terminology) or realize it is a foolish idea.

I said Weber carbs, simply because that is the name I am familiar with.  I am also interest in any equivalents.

thanks in advance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version