General Category > General Discussion

Ari rebuilds the Yamaha DT-1

(1/3) > >>

twowheeladdict:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-WtZ1VrAFM

Loved it!

bmc5733946:
Headlight still cockeyed, exhaust baffle loose, sparkplug into aluminum with no lube? Rebuilt okay. I like these guys, but.

Brian

twowheeladdict:

--- Quote from: bmc5733946 on February 04, 2023, 10:34:15 AM ---Headlight still cockeyed, exhaust baffle loose, sparkplug into aluminum with no lube? Rebuilt okay. I like these guys, but.

Brian

--- End quote ---

Well, he wasn't building a museum piece.  As evidenced by the end of the video. 

Enzo Toma:

--- Quote from: bmc5733946 on February 04, 2023, 10:34:15 AM ---Headlight still cockeyed, exhaust baffle loose, sparkplug into aluminum with no lube? Rebuilt okay. I like these guys, but.

Brian

--- End quote ---

That spark plug is NGK, they are plated and NOT to be used with anti-seize even on aluminum.

--- Quote ---1. Anti-seize

NGK spark plugs feature trivalent plating. This silver or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize.

Anti-seize can act as a lubricant, altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage and/or metal shell stretch. Thread breakage can sometimes involve removing the cylinder head for repair. Metal shell stretch changes the heat rating of the spark plug and can result in serious engine damage caused by pre-ignition. Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental.
--- End quote ---

bmc5733946:
Well Enzo thank you, that is news to me! I have been using never sieze on NGK and all other spark plugs since I was very young. Can you cite a specific source for that information? I am assuming it came from NGK but I've never seen it before.

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version