Author Topic: V85TT 4k Review  (Read 1296 times)

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
V85TT 4k Review
« on: December 02, 2020, 08:09:53 AM »
 nathanthepostman

https://youtu.be/7uI20fH82Sw
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V85TT 4k Review
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 10:51:56 AM »
The phrase "damned with faint praise" springs to mind.

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 08:54:27 AM »
interesting.  i wonder if he knows about adjusting the blinking lights?  who wouldn't want more horsepower if it didn't come with a cost attached.  but, do you put in a hotter cam and lose some torque to raise the HP at higher red line or go 4 valves for a similar result?  do you water cool it?  do you punch it out to 1000 and it weighs more from stronger parts to handle the extra power?  each of these proposals comes with trade offs either in dollars or in driveability.  for me, the way the available power is delivered on this bike is just right.  cost wise, i think the adventure is the bargain of the decade. 
Blue Guzz

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 10:40:59 AM »
Time spent viewing this sort of “review” would be better spent doing yard work, or reading a self-improvement book.  It’s as though the guy was reviewing a seafood restaurant and complaining that it didn’t offer filet mignon. 

If I wanted 20 (or whatever) more horsepower, I would have bought a bike with 20 more horsepower.  A meaningful bike review would identify the design goal meant to be achieved by the designers of a particular bike, and then consider whether the designers had met that goal.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 10:40:59 AM »

Offline DesertPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 11:52:44 AM »
Yep.  The V85 is perfect for what it is.  If I wanted a bike with 20 more horsepower, I'd get a V4 Panigale and have another 114 hp left over  :laugh:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 09:54:24 AM »
Time spent viewing this sort of “review” would be better spent doing yard work, or reading a self-improvement book.  It’s as though the guy was reviewing a seafood restaurant and complaining that it didn’t offer filet mignon. 

If I wanted 20 (or whatever) more horsepower, I would have bought a bike with 20 more horsepower.  A meaningful bike review would identify the design goal meant to be achieved by the designers of a particular bike, and then consider whether the designers had met that goal.

That is the typical review for most bikes until you get into the 160 hp and above range.

What people don't realize is that if you increase the HP, you also increase the acceleration and the top speed, which means you have to beef up the ability to decelerate and the suspension to handle those forces.  Then you may have to stiffen the frame more, and beef up the clutch, and so on, and so on.  Now you have an entirely different motorcycle.

I wish people would just say, "I wish they would have made a XXXXcc version of this bike." or "I wish they would have made a YYYhp version of this bike".  Then at least it takes into consideration all the other changes that need to be made. 

I really enjoy my 284 lb Van Van 200 for exploring in the woods.  When I want more I hop on my 400 lb Himalayan.  If I want more than that I will still choose the lightest bike that meets that want.  The larger you go, the more skilled and physically strong of a rider you need to be when riding off-road.  The more fatiguing it is also. 

The vast majority of BMW R1200GS riders only go where the family sedan can go. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 02:23:14 PM »
well put addict.  speaking for myself only, i have had much more powerful bikes that were heavier as they had to be but that is out of my system now and am content with the lower weight and lesser but still fun hp.
Blue Guzz

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 02:47:23 AM »
It came across to me as a relatively fair, unbiased & honest review.  But then I'm also in agreement with the reviewer that the bike is some 20 odd neddies shy of where I'd prefer it to be too.

My 2 girls & I have a trio of small, relatively lightweight (175 Kg) Italian Husqvarnas that develop 105 HP & 100 torques from a 900cc twin cylinder Rotax-derived motor.  Makes for a more sporting, "spirited" ride without going power or speed-crazy.

I think I'd end up a bit too frustrated with the Tutto Terrano's relative lack of overtaking urge.  The fact that I'm also carrying quite a few excess Kgs of bodyweight would only exacerbate the problem!
Severus bastardis

Offline Solorider73

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 10:33:49 AM »
I don't think anyone buys a Moto Guzzi for the HP and torque numbers.  If so, there are bikes in every category that will beat the Guzzis on paper and the street.  I had a bike 15ish years ago with 115HP.  I really had to pay attention to my speed given how easy it was to break the speed limit even when riding normally.  At the time not many motorcycles had more HP.  Now many bikes are well north of 150HP and the norm is near 100HP. 

I have a V7 and V85TT and neither are fast, but that's not why I bought them.  I took the V85TT off road riding a couple months ago, it did really well off road for it's size.  It also does well on the freeway and I've not found a car I can't overtake.  Over the years I've shifted to smaller bikes that in many cases are more fun to ride. 

Nathan rides a lot of bikes and leads tours on and off road.  I took his review to be more neutral.  If HP was his most important attribute, he wouldn't keep buying Himalayans.   
Current Stable
2019 MG V7 lll Stone
2020 MG V85TT Adventure
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 11:11:52 AM »
I thought it a great review , honest and the truth of what the bike is and was meant to be .
Guzzi especially lately has never been a fast bike as compared to most others  and i dont think they were ever capable of it , other than the  4 valve 1200 series bikes Griso etc bikes and further development of that would have been exciting to say the least but that was killed for obvious reasons.
Perhaps Guzzi is or has become the proverbial old mans bike or better yet a bike for those that expect nothing really just an average and that is all many here really need ..nothing wrong with that eh. 
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 05:50:18 PM »
I thought it a very good review.
If I had not yet bought one, his words would be worth hearing. As for the “lack” of power..? It cannot out accelerate a Ford Fiesta, ok so you get another 15 hp, then you still get hosed by a Subaru WRX..
I do not care, I would not have an extra 15 hp if it was going to be zero dollars. It’s fun tapping the lever and spinning it into the 5,000 range, the larger diameter pipes into the Zard sound glorious, it’ll do me.
Nathan is an honest guy with no bullshit it seems... :thumb:

Offline Solorider73

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 07:03:52 PM »
I thought it a great review , honest and the truth of what the bike is and was meant to be .
Guzzi especially lately has never been a fast bike as compared to most others  and i dont think they were ever capable of it , other than the  4 valve 1200 series bikes Griso etc bikes and further development of that would have been exciting to say the least but that was killed for obvious reasons.
Perhaps Guzzi is or has become the proverbial old mans bike or better yet a bike for those that expect nothing really just an average and that is all many here really need ..nothing wrong with that eh. 

I'm searching amazon for some red suspenders as we speak.  :grin:

I thought it a very good review.
If I had not yet bought one, his words would be worth hearing. As for the “lack” of power..? It cannot out accelerate a Ford Fiesta, ok so you get another 15 hp, then you still get hosed by a Subaru WRX..
I do not care, I would not have an extra 15 hp if it was going to be zero dollars. It’s fun tapping the lever and spinning it into the 5,000 range, the larger diameter pipes into the Zard sound glorious, it’ll do me.
Nathan is an honest guy with no bullshit it seems... :thumb:

I have to say that when you open up the throttle, it does sound good.  Several of my riding buddies that ride Japanese bikes love the sound of the V85TT at idle.  Of course Guzzis have never sounded like sewing machines like the in line fours do.
Current Stable
2019 MG V7 lll Stone
2020 MG V85TT Adventure

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 07:26:08 PM »
I'm searching amazon for some red suspenders as we speak.  :grin:

I have to say that when you open up the throttle, it does sound good.  Several of my riding buddies that ride Japanese bikes love the sound of the V85TT at idle.  Of course Guzzis have never sounded like sewing machines like the in line fours do.
Apparently this sounds kike a 5 cylinder radial..
https://youtu.be/ji_1RUDuRIg
Can’t be all bad..

Offline Solorider73

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 07:49:29 PM »
Apparently this sounds kike a 5 cylinder radial..
https://youtu.be/ji_1RUDuRIg
Can’t be all bad..

That's a mighty fine V85TT that sounds great with an actual MG badge on the tank.    Love the "Arrest Me Red" color  :thumb:

I rode with a guy a couple weeks ago who worked on the design of a fighter jet.  He kept looking at my V85TT and pointing out the lines that were similar to airplanes. 
Current Stable
2019 MG V7 lll Stone
2020 MG V85TT Adventure

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 08:47:26 AM »
IMO, if a bike isn't selling the manufacturer has to figure out why and make changes.  If the bike is selling well, then no need to make changes. 

When someone comes along and says "I would buy one if it had xxx horsepower."  Most times what they are really saying is "I would buy one for the same price, if it had xxx horsepower."  But we all know that adding more horsepower and balancing the rest of the bike to handle that horsepower cost more money.

Sometimes and particular bike just isn't for you and you have to find one that is.

When I bought the Kawasaki Concours 1400, I bought it for the size of the rider triangle, the shaft drive, and the ability to take me all over the country in comfort.  I can probable count on my fingers the number of times I tapped into the available horsepower in the 30,000 miles I owned it.

Had it been the same bike with an 80 hp engine instead of the 160 hp, I would have still bought it. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 09:17:15 AM »
Guzzi's marketing department could be a little more imaginitive with the different V85 models.   To me the Travel is more street orientated so why the spoke wheels with tube tires.   I along with many would prefer aluminum wheels with tubeless tires.   The offroad version should have spoked wheels with tubless tires.  Base model is fine as is. 

Cheers, Tim
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here